Looking for type 9 5 speed box (2 litre)

preacherman

It’s all about the price

Type 9 price for secondhand is heading north of £250 and that’s with nothing more than a visual check by taking the lid off.

i have seen recon boxes on eBay for £750+ again no way of checking quality except eBay rating.

BGH Geartech is well renowned, been in the business forever and will build to any spec or ratio’s

Take a deep breath when you look at prices.

On 20/03/2019 at 11:26, deltamal said:

There a few companies that advertise in Classic Ford mag, they are all around £1000 ish though, but a perfect strong box.........

Burton power latest catalogue, standard remanufactured box - £945.00, with long first gear - £1,150,00,

Advertising in this months Classic Ford mag, 3J Driveline same prices, both plus delivery I guess.....

14 hours ago, colr6 said:

You’d pay a grand for a t5 and take the chance it’s knackered, even more to rebuild and even less people who can do them.

They are also huge so need tunnel mods - 500hp gearbox behind a 200hp engine - why?

On 20/03/2019 at 17:58, Snapper said:

It’s all about the price

Type 9 price for secondhand is heading north of £250 and that’s with nothing more than a visual check by taking the lid off.

i have seen recon boxes on eBay for £750+ again no way of checking quality except eBay rating.

BGH Geartech is well renowned, been in the business forever and will build to any spec or ratio’s

Take a deep breath when you look at prices.

On 21/03/2019 at 00:59, Kenbex522 said:

1st Motion in Letchworth did mine. Cant give you an exact price for normal reconditioning, as I had a long first gear set fitted and a heavy duty layshaft bearing conversion as well. Thats was over a grand. Cant fault the work though.

21 hours ago, deltamal said:

Burton power latest catalogue, standard remanufactured box - £945.00, with long first gear - £1,150,00,

Advertising in this months Classic Ford mag, 3J Driveline same prices, both plus delivery I guess.....

It really is worth the extra for the raised first gear. I consider this the single most transformative driving modification that can be made to a standard RS2000. Many seem to get obsessed with getting that 5th gear as most important but I will take a raised (long) first gear over fifth any time! In fact that's what I did. I didn't like the mods required to fit a Type 9 so I had BGH Geartech make a raised first gear for an original Type E. It may seem expensive at first but it will reward you ten fold in drivability. Im always aghast when I hear about those lowering diff ratios to 4.1 with significant engine mods with the T9s and still keep that standard first. Even with a standard engine and 3.54 diff a Pinto just buzzes and goes nowhere. You just try get it into 2nd as fast as you can only then does it start to pull. So if you didnt have a long first before take this opportunity to do it now.

• Like 1

Wow! I must have struck lucky! The T9 came out when I swopped in the Zetec - as part of that, I wanted a raised 1st so got the bits from Burton £240 odd and found a local gearbox guy who quoted me a strip, check and refurb inc adding the new bits - £200. Changed the input bearing as he said it sounded a bit noisy (+£10) and threw the bigger roller bearings at it - gratis. So fully refurb'd box with tall first for less than £500 - Result i'd say!

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, katana said:

Wow! I must have struck lucky! The T9 came out when I swopped in the Zetec - as part of that, I wanted a raised 1st so got the bits from Burton £240 odd and found a local gearbox guy who quoted me a strip, check and refurb inc adding the new bits - £200. Changed the input bearing as he said it sounded a bit noisy (+£10) and threw the bigger roller bearings at it - gratis. So fully refurb'd box with tall first for less than £500 - Result i'd say!

I get questioned at £75 to pull a type nine down and re-assemble 🤔 Maybe I should double it 👍