Jump to content
Munch

Pinto rebuild

Recommended Posts

So, after the NEC I decided I would get my engine rebuilt. I had no running issues with it, but because I couldn't trace the history I wanted to have confidence in it and thought at the same time give it a bit more oomph. I have a mechanic that has been building these engines for decades for both Mountune and Burtons so he was my number 1 choice.

I dropped my car off in January and after the engine came out I realised that the paint on the lower half of my engine bay was in quite a poor state. It was peeling and cracking with chunks missing, so I made the decision to get the engine bay resprayed. I also took this opportunity to tidy up the radiator, servo and master cylinder. I got the car back in the second week of March and booked it in with Haywood & Scott to get a sweet stainless exhaust made. They wanted the car for 2 weeks. As per normal, the engine wasn't ready in time so an old block was fitted so the exhaust could be made.

The exhaust was due to be finished this week and they have asked to have it for another 2 weeks as a couple of race cars have come in that need turning round for an upcoming race. Everything seems to be dragging on now and I have the car booked in for a dyno set up on May the 2nd, and i'm getting concerned it won't be ready. I'm sure it will all come together in time but I just want to drive my car again!

I will get some pictures uploaded in the coming weeks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, notenoughtime said:

Yes you can’t say your having a engine built without telling us  some specs lol and not even post any pics 

Yes, the big tease.

Pics, or it's Laccy Band powered... 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wanted to keep it original looking, i.e original air filter, rocker cover and carbs with the battery still where it should be, but change the internals and a few other components. I don't want an unruly beast, but I do want a bit more oomph so I've had the crank lightened and balanced along with the conrods and valves, bigger Mahle pistons by 1mm, so I believe this will make it 2040cc, skimmed and ported head and it already had a piper 285 cam so I've kept that. Obviously all new bearings, oil pump, fuel pump, water pump, alternator, starter motor, clutch and Vernier pulley. I may have missed some bits, but I will be finishing the build next week so if I have I will update you. 

I am hoping to achieve 140 - 150hp.

My mechanic told me that I made a great decision to strip the engine as the big end bearings wouldn't have lasted much longer, see picture. It's funny how things work out for the best sometimes.

More pics to follow next week.

20190126_115503.jpg

20190126_115313.jpg

20190212_111457.jpg

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hmmm - surprised that you still had oil pressure with those bearings and no damage to the crank? Possibly lose the fan and go electric - good for a few hp and better cooling? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No damage as far as we can tell. . . again lucky. That's a good idea but I might see how I get on with a standard fan and maybe that can be for next winter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny how things work out.....you said it was running fine!! Looks like perfect timing. Sounds like a good spec engine... sure you'll notice a big difference in performance too. Take it you'll fit new clutch while engine is out?

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 05/04/2019 at 21:49, katana said:

Hmmm - surprised that you still had oil pressure with those bearings and no damage to the crank? Possibly lose the fan and go electric - good for a few hp and better cooling? 

Look at the bearing very smooth so just wear no tearing or grooves, oil pressure may have dropped  when warm but not sufficient to notice if using the RS 5 clock 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎06‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:51, Monza said:

Funny how things work out.....you said it was running fine!! Looks like perfect timing. Sounds like a good spec engine... sure you'll notice a big difference in performance too. Take it you'll fit new clutch while engine is out? emoji4.pngemoji108.png

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
 

Yep, new clutch going in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, notenoughtime said:

Look at the bearing very smooth so just wear no tearing or grooves, oil pressure may have dropped  when warm but not sufficient to notice if using the RS 5 clock 

I changed the oil and filter at the end of summer and the oil pressure went up, but it I hadn't noticed it was low.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Munch said:

I changed the oil and filter at the end of summer and the oil pressure went up, but it I hadn't noticed it was low.

That's normal - new oil will always be thicker, but wear that excessive ie. once through the white metal bearing surface, the clearances are well outside normal tolerances and bigger gaps will always give lower pressures! You may have only saved the situation through sufficient flow - if the pump had been moody then crank wear would have been likely. As regards the RS pressure gauge - yes it shows pressure but how much is guesswork, just like relying on a light - these are usually tripped at 5-10psi pressure - woefully inadequate for useful indication of pressure! I far rather have a light flickering with a 30psi pressure switch for safety! 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bet you are itching to get out in the car.   My RS is currently waiting for my new engine to go in … I have gone with Omex throttle bodies though for a nice bit of reliability :)    Bit of tuning on the dyno and away I go …. hoping for mid summer :)    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/04/2019 at 10:30, Mk2Jo said:

I bet you are itching to get out in the car.   My RS is currently waiting for my new engine to go in … I have gone with Omex throttle bodies though for a nice bit of reliability :)    Bit of tuning on the dyno and away I go …. hoping for mid summer :)    

About time how bloody long

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎09‎/‎04‎/‎2019 at 10:30, Mk2Jo said:

I bet you are itching to get out in the car.   My RS is currently waiting for my new engine to go in … I have gone with Omex throttle bodies though for a nice bit of reliability :)    Bit of tuning on the dyno and away I go …. hoping for mid summer :)    

You are sooooo right! These things seem to drag on way longer than you think and when the sun comes out you have no car to drive!

Good choice, I did think about the Omex throttle bodies but decided to stay original. Mid summer seems a long way off though, what else are you doing to your car?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Munch said:

Good choice, I did think about the Omex throttle bodies but decided to stay original. Mid summer seems a long way off though, what else are you doing to your car?

I also considered the zetec option but decided to stay original in terms of the pinto but want better driveability hence ditching the carbs - no more balancing :D lol …. no other plans.  Already has full SS exhaust, lowered slightly, 4.1 diff (I used to drag race it).   Needs a bit of a resto and paint job really (bottom of the doors are going) but don't have the funds for that - the engine has cost me a fair bit this year so that will have to wait :)  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Mk2Jo said:

I also considered the zetec option but decided to stay original in terms of the pinto but want better driveability hence ditching the carbs - no more balancing :D lol …. no other plans.  Already has full SS exhaust, lowered slightly, 4.1 diff (I used to drag race it).   Needs a bit of a resto and paint job really (bottom of the doors are going) but don't have the funds for that - the engine has cost me a fair bit this year so that will have to wait :)  

What Cam did you go with? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/04/2019 at 10:30, Mk2Jo said:

I bet you are itching to get out in the car.   My RS is currently waiting for my new engine to go in … I have gone with Omex throttle bodies though for a nice bit of reliability :)    Bit of tuning on the dyno and away I go …. hoping for mid summer :)    

I have too many projects Jo should concentrate on one tbh

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Mk2Jo said:

I also considered the zetec option but decided to stay original in terms of the pinto but want better driveability hence ditching the carbs - no more balancing :D lol …. no other plans.  Already has full SS exhaust, lowered slightly, 4.1 diff (I used to drag race it).   Needs a bit of a resto and paint job really (bottom of the doors are going) but don't have the funds for that - the engine has cost me a fair bit this year so that will have to wait :)  

Regarding carbs going out of balance did you have a throttle stop on the pedal? If not that’s the reason as it twists the linkage between the carbs 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, notenoughtime said:

Regarding carbs going out of balance did you have a throttle stop on the pedal? If not that’s the reason as it twists the linkage between the carbs 

Yes, I have an adjustable bolt under the throttle pedal. My partner is an engine tuner and we decided on throttle bodies for drive ability. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, dt36 said:

What Cam did you go with? 

Just an RL31.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That looks nice and it will still rev too with that profile. Throttle body mapping will also keep it nice down on the lower rev range, so good all round. 

I opted for an FR30 purely for my driving style and the type of roads I potter around. This gave a decent increase over what I had, but your combination will give a fair bit more again, I reckon. 😁

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...