Sign in to follow this  
Vista

Well, that was a surprise!

Our daughter has two young male Guinea pigs. One of which was growing more quickly than the other.

Late last night we heard lots of squeaking from the hutch and one of these two "boys" had popped out four pups. One still born and another very weak and stone cold by the time we found them but a late night later and regular replenishment of a hot water bottle and he's back on track this morning.

Now, WTF to do next? A girl and a boy (who seems to try and get his end away constantly) wasn't in our game plan; and apparently young males will try and hump mum 3 or 4 weeks after they're born!!

IMG_20190427_0109365.jpg

IMG_20190427_0133561.jpg

IMG_20190427_0801578.jpg

IMG_20190427_0802117.jpg

• Like 2

Best supply the 'unkindest cut' to Dad and as regards the kids - apparently they are quite tasty, bit like chicken! Good hard hitting 'Oldskool' story.

• Haha 2

I have already told her they're a delicacy in South America and if she can't find homes they're going in the pot. Don't think she believes me 😝

The cat has his beady eye on them too. 😼

• Haha 1

You may have to separate them now-my missus has them and a few years ago the same happened-8 babies later and we had to split them up into male/female/those that got on with each other. Ended up with 12 pigs over 5 different cages-space nightmare but they're funny little buggers. So either get them sexed and separated when they are old enough to leave mum-or snip snip which'll obviously cost a bit.

1 hour ago, Vista said:

I have already told her they're a delicacy in South America and if she can't find homes they're going in the pot. Don't think she believes me 😝

The cat has his beady eye on them too. 😼

Interesting fact ,I believe queen Elizabeth the 1st loved them to eat as well ,she used to breed them for that , I’m sure I heard that somewhere along the line or was it hedge hogs can’t remember lol

4 hours ago, meXEco said:

You may have to separate them now-my missus has them and a few years ago the same happened-8 babies later and we had to split them up into male/female/those that got on with each other. Ended up with 12 pigs over 5 different cages-space nightmare but they're funny little buggers. So either get them sexed and separated when they are old enough to leave mum-or snip snip which'll obviously cost a bit.

Daughter has already bonded with the boar so he will get the snip. We'll rehome any male babies and keep a girl if there is one. 

8 minutes ago, Vista said:

Daughter has already bonded with the boar so he will get the snip. We'll rehome any male babies and keep a girl if there is one. 

You're brave after posting that scary cat snip video! One escape and revenge will come in the from of a gnaw hole through the RS seats!

6 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

You're brave after posting that scary cat snip video! One escape and revenge will come in the from of a gnaw hole through the RS seats!

They be fed to the cat if that happens! 

Oh how cute!    I love guinea pigs - always had them as a child and into adulthood too (no, I don't want another one :D).

20 minutes ago, Vista said:

Well Snowball is now Noballs so that shoul put an end to his hash!

Talk about Fun Police!

• Haha 1

Im not fond of Guinea pigs, my Daughter had to when she was younger, the first one used to bite me whenever it could, the second one escaped under the floorboards during some building work and died, I had to take a load of floorboards up to find the putrid remains, so not my fave pet!

5 hours ago, deltamal said:

Im not fond of Guinea pigs, my Daughter had to when she was younger, the first one used to bite me whenever it could, the second one escaped under the floorboards during some building work and died, I had to take a load of floorboards up to find the putrid remains, so not my fave pet!

Growing up my mum forbid me from keeping guinea pigs. I believe the expression "Nothing but tailless rats!" was the one shouted at me in response.

When I later worked at the local wildlife park and the stocks of frozen rats was low they would send me down to the overpopulated petting zoo for Wedge Tailed Eagle dinners.

They're pretty cute to be fair.....and the original request was for rats......a request I recoiled in horror at!

1 minute ago, Vista said:

They're pretty cute to be fair.....and the original request was for rats......a request I recoiled in horror at!

Ahhhhh the compromise alternative to rats. I totally get it now. Wise very wise. Just lucky you dont have a son that wants to keep snakes.

This didn't surprise me. Broke down while on the rollers. Chinese fuel pump gone AWOL just relying on a bit of gravity to get fuel to the carbs.

Good these rolling roads are as they load up the engine and surprising what you find. The petrol  pump was clicking on start up as normal , some flow but no pressure.

20190716_141015.jpg

• Like 1