Which cross member is this?

kris m

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, kris m said:

Hows it a death trap vista?

Is that a serious question? Spaceframing a front end is not a job that should be taken on lightly by someone without knowledge of the forces involved that the structure must withstand and that box section it's made from looks no-where near strong enough to be safe. And as for the welding.......

If you built this then it wasn't my intention to cause offence, but there's no way that's safe for use on the road. 

Look at this thread with pictures of a professionally done spaceframed front end. There's a bit of difference no?

I got the car like this and i am 22yr served fabricator, the only thing i will be using is the shell, the whole floor is coming out and i am building a space frame for it, the reason i was asking about the front sub frame is that i am going to sell all the bits and wasn't sure what the sub frame was off, and yes i know what im doing, i think you need to get all the facts before you are commenting like that.

59 minutes ago, kris m said:

I got the car like this and i am 22yr served fabricator, the only thing i will be using is the shell, the whole floor is coming out and i am building a space frame for it, the reason i was asking about the front sub frame is that i am going to sell all the bits and wasn't sure what the sub frame was off, and yes i know what im doing, i think you need to get all the facts before you are commenting like that.

I can see the facts, they're in the pictures. These 70's built chop shop specials may have just about held it together to turn the wheels and drive down the road, but in an accident they were total death traps. I am sure you know what you are doing but for sure you don't want to be replicating what is there now. 

Also, have you considered how much the regulations have been tightened up on doing this sort of thing in recent years? You may struggle to get it on the road legally, it will count as a radically modified vehicle and likely require IVA testing. 

Yer i know they are getting a lot stricter but it will be used as a track car, there is no way that would be road legal the way it is, i think the floor would drop out the first time it went down the street.