Diff

Brian

Hi all.not sure if i in the right area for this.bit looking for bit of help.i recently changed my diff on an english axel.but it had small flange.i needed big one.so i chanced my arm by marking nut.checking the torgue also.and counted turns of the nut.put it all back and all looked good.but today after driving maybe 50km.its now whirling.not wining if that makes sence.my question is do ye think i can now get away with a new crush washer and resetting the pinion.or is it diff change time again.as above its only a whirl.and really only coming back down through gears.

Mine did something similar....first run after restoration...to CF show last year.
Changed from small to big flange, took advice on poss torque setting (although there isn't one) Whine got louder as we travelled to the Pod...was like having straight cut box by time we got home!!
Sourced another diff unit with new bearings etc and all good apart from v slight whine caused by unit being 50ish years old.
Guessed noise was causd by flange bolt not being tight enough, big difference between 2 units.
In my limited experience....diffs are best left to the 'experts'....

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

probably not enough pinion bearing pre load now, try tightening it a little more, it takes a lot of force to crush the sleeve, so if you use a normal ratchet or t bar you are unlikely to over tighten it. if it was me, I would nip it up a little at a time and see if the whine goes away. I would say no more than 1/2 a flat at a time, worth a go, after all your time is free !

cheers, Ian.