Warspite

Would it be sacrilege to ................

chop down my full length front bumper to make it look like quarter bumpers. I really want the quarter bumper look, but find the price over the top. Will I get black balled for mentioning this?

I have seen it done but never with good results when you know what the real thing is like. You always get asked "Cant you afford proper split bumpers" which these days is true. There are replicas however like the Magnum Classics that you can get for 180 pounds for the pair or 65 pounds for fibreglass ones but they arent chromed. Keep in mind they are the bumpers from the rear of a van (but you need different brackets) so to avoid RS tax widen your searches to vans rather than Mk1 RS/Mexico. If your original full bumper is in good condition it may be worth enough that he change over isn't as harsh as you think. It would be a shame to destroy a complete bumper when so many replicas are about.

10 hours ago, Warspite said:

chop down my full length front bumper to make it look like quarter bumpers. I really want the quarter bumper look, but find the price over the top. Will I get black balled for mentioning this?

pair of quarter bumpers here £75

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Warspite said:

pair of quarter bumpers here £75

3 hours ago, Warspite said:

You have some? could you send a picture ta.

tomorrow if i remember

23 minutes ago, accord83 said:

Just remove it. Dare to go bare😂

IMG_1079.JPG

Needs a stick on number plate if you ask me 

It would be illegal on the bonnet, and illegible, and possible illegal on the bottom of the front panel, and I wanted to keep the original plate without drilling the panel. Sooooo, a strengthened, extended, bumper bracket was fitted. Works for me, I have full and 1/4 bumpers if I fancy a change, but where do I put the plate then? (Steady, I'm very delicate!😂)

Law and MOT rules can be 2 different things.

41 minutes ago, accord83 said:

It would be illegal on the bonnet, and illegible, and possible illegal on the bottom of the front panel

Not so, although an officer of de law may take umbrance with either position as an attempt to disguise the reg no. from ANPR detection devices!

3 minutes ago, katana said:

Not so, although an officer of de law may take umbrance with either position as an attempt to disguise the reg no. from ANPR detection devices!

My spot lights disguise my number plate been getting free parking for ages :smilieguys:

38 minutes ago, katana said:

The Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regulations 2001

Fixing of front registration plates: vehicles registered on or after the relevant date

6.—(1) This regulation applies to vehicles, other than works trucks, road rollers and agricultural machines, first registered on or after the relevant date.

(2) Except as provided in paragraph (5), a registration plate must be fixed on the front of the vehicle in the manner required by paragraph (3).

(3) This paragraph requires the plate to be fixed—

(a)vertically or, where that is not reasonably practicable, in a position as close to the vertical as is reasonably practicable,

(b)in such a position that in normal daylight the characters of the registration mark are easily distinguishable from every part of a relevant area having the diagonal length specified in paragraph (4).

The relevant part also pertains to cars Pre 2001.

36 minutes ago, katana said:

I think you're probably discussing the rules with the wrong person :mrgreen:

It's a long time since I drove a jam sandwich in anger, but "Da law is Da law!" Rarely enforced unless you seriously piss off the 5-0 or he is looking for a shift record. The most I got was 14 Con and Use offences before the eejit shut the Eff up! (but I was an advanced Police vehicle examiner🤔)

• Like 1

My first Mk1 only ever had a bonnet sticker number plate. Never had any problems.

Also these 1/4 bumpers were made from a rear bumber. Just needed different brackets to fix to the wing

FB_IMG_1559856737173.jpg

Just now, Mexican Gerbil said:

My first Mk1 only ever had a bonnet sticker number plate. Never had any problems.

FB_IMG_1559856737173.jpg

Probably never will as only anal retentive usually know the act and section, and the fine isn't worth the paperwork, but I have no excuse.

Tbh you know your not doing it to avoid anpr are you especially if your x 

correct lettering and I’m sure camera would still pick them up, no? 

My mk3 capri failed it's mot once for having the number plate sticker on the bonnet edge

10 hours ago, accord83 said:

(but I was an advanced Police vehicle examiner)

Ah - an educated bizzie ! :bow: 

They always turn up when least expected LOL!

To be honest when I wrote my note, I did check the MOT regs and Const & Use regs but didn't expect 20 odd pages of lawyer speak that i've now lost 15 life minutes, that i'll never get back, reading through it. A pretty pointless bit of legislation as can be seen every day, on any road, you care to pick in the UK!

3 hours ago, katana said:

Ah - an educated bizzie ! :bow: 

They always turn up when least expected LOL!

To be honest when I wrote my note, I did check the MOT regs and Const & Use regs but didn't expect 20 odd pages of lawyer speak that i've now lost 15 life minutes, that i'll never get back, reading through it. A pretty pointless bit of legislation as can be seen every day, on any road, you care to pick in the UK!

😂 That's why it's seldom picked up on, unless you really hack off the Old Bill or get a proby needing scalps, it's not worth the effort and ink to sheet someone up. I wouldn't have been arsed back in the day when you actually had the time to waste on such trivialities. (unless you fancied an argument and wouldn't stfu). I don't care now I'm retired , but old habits die hard, so vertical mounted for me, and I know who pays my pension.....:mrgreen: