Sign in to follow this  
Joemi

Re-jetting a 957cc

I'm the owner of a 1984 MK2 ford fiesta, it's the 957cc engine with a 32ICH Weber carb fitted.

Iv got tons of experience re-jetting bikes from stock to give them that little bit more oompf but iv never done it on a car before!

Iv noticed the 957cc air intake snorkel is absolutely tiny and air intake can easily be made twice the size just by removing it but with more air and lack of electronics means more manual added fuel is needed but I'm necessarily sure how much more, I know it's trial and error but I'm looking for a rough idea or a guide on jet sizes?

I'm not expected my 1L fiesta to be fast, I'd just like it to have a bit more guts to it and to unleash some of that dumbed down power from factory.

Unlike a bike (whose base performance will be significantly greater than a 1.0L Fester) the air requirements are much lower - you never get a situation of vacuum within the air box meaning the inlet is sufficient for engine operation so making the inlet bigger won't be of any benefit. The carb venturi's aren't any bigger so no more air could be ingested unless you change the capacity to increase breathing.

20 minutes ago, katana said:

Unlike a bike (whose base performance will be significantly greater than a 1.0L Fester) the air requirements are much lower - you never get a situation of vacuum within the air box meaning the inlet is sufficient for engine operation so making the inlet bigger won't be of any benefit. The carb venturi's aren't any bigger so no more air could be ingested unless you change the capacity to increase breathing.

I see, not as similar as I thought then.

Know of any other ways to get a few more ponies out of the old Valencia engines?

Engines are essentially all the same in regards making more power - better breathing ie better carburation / exhaust manifold & exhaust, bigger capacity, improved cylinder head efficiency - flow work, valves, compression, camshafts. Thinking sideways imagine loosing the Valencia lump/gearbox and dropping in a late model 1000cc Blade motor, engineer a transfer box with diff - yeehaar! ! ! I'd pay to see that!