finding a decent gasket

hooligan

Is there any such thing as a decent fuel pump gasket for a pre crossflow ? cleaned both surfaces like new, new modern plastic type block with a paper gasket either side, small amount of red hermetite.

car running and leaking, plastic rubbish !

• 1 month later...

Try Fords silicon sealer from your local dealers. Absolutely brilliant stuff. I work on  a fair amount of  later chain driven transit engines and theres nothing better out there and its not expensive.

Comes in a syringe.

Rich 

The has been a wave here of these cheap Chinese made gaskets here and they are so thin that they don't have enough give in them if the surfaces are anything but prefect and pristine machined. Naturally no 70's casting is perfect and the simply leak when the car gets hot at the water pump and thermostat. I found a company in the UK that sells these nitrile rubber coated metal ones, They are brilliant. a few pounds more expensive but not unreasonable. I even bought spares in case I cant get them in the future.

there is normally a trickling supply of genuine ford gaskets come upon e-bay, and no doubt about it the quality difference is visible, if not treat yourself to a gasket set made by Victor Reinz, the genuine ford head gaskets are victor reinz, and they are about the best quality there is, but to get that one I think you need to buy a gasket set, coat the gasket in multi purpose grease and bobs your uncle, make sure you torque load the bolts properly, a silicon sealant can also be used, but on that seal I've found it to be fairly ineffective for some unknown reason, and seems to cause a leak rather than prevent (just personal experience on several occasions), but Wurth sealant seems to be the mechanics favourite, and their cans are a lot easier and far less messy than trying to dispense the ford one, on the transit engine mentioned above, the sealant is the gasket, its designed not to have a gasket, just the sealant, so it becomes the gasket rather than compliment the gasket