Sign in to follow this  
katana

Wiring Q's or Info. Required.

Hi All,

Sorting out this 'professional' made wiring loom is doing my head in so I need a few things clarified -

My Mk2 RS2000 is rumoured / supposed to have an intermittent wipe ? There appears to be a position on the switch to achieve it but how is it achieved as there is no standalone timer to vary the sweep or is it all done within the wiper motor housing? Looked on the Ford Loom drawing - nowt and my original loom was so cut about i'm not sure it ever worked?

Likewise the heater fan wiring - switch has 3No contacts - center (I assume) is power in with the top & bottom lugs directing power to either a resistor for slow or direct for fast fan speeds? Anyone aware of how these relate to the contact lugs on the motor - thought I had a piccy but no!

3rd - been a while since I looked at the gearbox which is a type 9 - does it have a single wire or two wire reverse switch and is that electrically isolated from the gearbox as my loom maker seems to be sending Ign. switched voltage to it with what appears to be a wire off other side to rear combination lights?

I'm bound to find more oddities so be prepared for more questions as I find them!

Not very good with wiring either but my RS2 has type 9 with two wires , intermittent wipe and two speed fan ,sorry I doubt that’s much help apart from the reverse switch 

james

7 minutes ago, Xp197777 said:

Not very good with wiring either but my RS2 has type 9 with two wires , intermittent wipe and two speed fan ,sorry I doubt that’s much help apart from the reverse switch 

james

One item ticked off the list and i'm assuming electrically isolated with two contacts.

29 minutes ago, katana said:

One item ticked off the list and i'm assuming electrically isolated with two contacts.

When I refurbed my gearbox, I also fitted a new 2 pin reverse switch. I ran the old single cable to 1 pin and ran a new cable direct to earth via the gearbox mount bolt. 

I'm popping in my garage soon as she's left me on my own for the evening. I'll have a quick look at how accessible my switches are for a pic. 

OK, wipers first. 

There's 2 plugs on the left of the switch gear. The thinner of the 2 on the left is wipers.

There are 4 wires to this plug. Starting from the top, they are: Brown, Green, Black/Purple, Red. 

My intermittent is with the stalk pushed down. This would see the switch end of stalk at the cables in the upmost position. I'm only taking a guess here, but that could see it making contact with the brown wire. However, my harness looks original, but this does not match my Haynes RS manual 🤔

IMG_20190614_185510450.jpg

IMG_20190614_185141930.jpg

IMG_20190614_185121742.jpg

IMG_20190614_185901668.jpg

IMG_20190614_190421997.jpg

IMG_20190614_190824759.jpg

IMG_20190614_192105090.jpg

Heater Blower Switch. There are the 3 wires which again don't match my Haynes Manual. Plug definitely original: from the top: Red/Brown, Brown, Brown /White. 

Might as well clean the dust out now that I've got it hanging out 😂

IMG_20190614_195313314.jpg

IMG_20190614_195342785.jpg

IMG_20190614_195446479.jpg

IMG_20190614_195514422.jpg

IMG_20190614_195806845.jpg

not sure if mk2 is same as mk1, your wire colours to the heater fan switch are the same as mine though, on mk1, the heater has a constant positive, the switch centre pin goes to the heater, the fast speed side connects direct to earth, the slow connects to earth via a resistor, (on a mk1, this is on the column support) the switch switches earth, not positive

your wires have browns in, brown usually resembles earth

• Like 1

Thanks for the pictures and input guys - I have found the heater fan switch plug - has the same colours! The genius that made my loom chose not to use Ford wire colours but did it to BS. colours which are alien to me! I'm relying on their pin-out / colour call out to be correct on the stalks but its guesswork on the motor - the dual plug with red and green ford colours are motor connections earth via body. Its maddening when schematic says one thing and the actual wiring (that is working) is different! But i've got something to work with so excellent work chaps!

• Like 1