Sign in to follow this  
hooligan

running out of patience

Replaced 1200  engine for a 1500gt in the Anglia, well spent 4 hours trying to mate it with the gearbox to discover that the spigot bush was 2 mm smaller than the gearbox shaft, then removed the bush from the old engine damaging it.

with the engine crane on hire I could not just leave it and had a bronze bush made for the crank by an engineer (a legend on a Saturday evening)  mated engine with gearbox, went to put the car in gear and would not go in because the wrong clutch cover had been supplied with flat fingers which should be a curly finger so was making it about 6mm out from disengaging the clutch even with the 10mm spacer fitted behind the release bearing.

engine crane has gone back and now needed to removed gearbox as a separate job, all on the floor of course, clutch cover was replaced free of charge, no names because this thread is not to point fingers because everyone involved has been very helpful indeed and put it down to bad luck.

Anyway gearbox out again to fit the correct assembly and took it for a drive, got 4 miles down the road and pulled over to do some carb adjustments, jumped it the car and depressed the clutch and bang ! then would not go into gear.

Recovery vehicle to get home and assumed the clutch plate or assembly had broken up because I had good hydraulics, gearbox out yet again which was really difficult to separate from the engine and the reason was the spigot bush had grabbed hold of the gearbox shaft so be warned that statue bronze is NOT the same as self lubricating spigot bush bronze.

So replaced the spigot bush for a new item and thought I would get this done this week so I could get to the Anglia's at the ace next weekend and now the throttle linkage has gone tits up and temporary held together with welding wire to get me home, need to fit a cable kit which means making a throttle pedal.

Running out of patience as per title

So you've put it up for sale now then? 😂 

Jeeez that's a bad run of luck, on the plus side I think you're now owed about 6 years of trouble free motoring 😂👍

Trouble free, I doubt it, I have discovered this morning that due to play in the shaft of one of my DCOE 40's it is making the idle erratic, that's what happens when you buy second hand from stebay  ,trying to save a bit money and fixing it will probably cost me as much as buying a new set in the first place especially when a spindle is £46 on it's own.

As for selling it, it's only a whisker away...

Yea I was toying with many different twin carb set ups for my precrossflow, second hand su's, twin 40s etc, an then saw bike carb set ups on ebay, but boy were they expensive, so thought il go su's to be a bit different..... Couldn't get it to work, bought a 1600 gt carb as Burton says it fits.... It does but its flat out or idle, nothing in between, bought a second hand precrossflow gt carb off a mate, (who admitted has no idea if it's condition) needs completely rebuilding... 

Basically if I bought the bike carb set up it would've been done first time..... Hindsight hey! 

I recently sold a really nice 1500gt carb, manifold and air box, I was going to fit all the parts on the Anglia but with the heater unit still in place I would have had to cut a triangle shape out of the airbox to miss it because i'm not a fan of the K and N filter look, sold the airbox for £130 on it's own

So many times I've said to people on FB and other forums that I've lost count now, dont make Spigot bearings from brass or ordinary bronze. But you always get the "my mate is an engineer he knows what he is talking about"  Sorry you had to find out the hard way. Hopefully you can move on from this set back.

Incidentally did you know you can buy a proper roller bearing for the 17mm input shaft.   Its 40mm OD for the crank hole and 17mm internal  SKF bearing number 6203 :-)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKF-6203-2RSH-Bearing-BNIB-17x40x12/222302122101?epid=1246920427&hash=item33c23d3075:g:Lj0AAOSwn7JYEg-f

I bought one of those last week but what I didn't like was when I placed it over the gearbox shaft and held the outer race I could turn the gearbox shaft without turning the centre of the bearing so I opted for the bronze self lubricating original style.

Didn't fancy hardened steel rotating on hardened steel.

Car Covers. They arent really meant for weather protection, they are for the time you get so totally frustrated with classics that you can't bear to look at them for a moment longer. I have left mine covered for months on end. Often someone here offers some reassurance to get me motivated again. But it does help to call it a day and walk away for a period of time if for nothing else but your own mental health.

1 hour ago, Kenbex522 said:

So many times I've said to people on FB and other forums that I've lost count now, dont make Spigot bearings from brass or ordinary bronze. But you always get the "my mate is an engineer he knows what he is talking about"  Sorry you had to find out the hard way. Hopefully you can move on from this set back.

Incidentally did you know you can buy a proper roller bearing for the 17mm input shaft.   Its 40mm OD for the crank hole and 17mm internal  SKF bearing number 6203 :-)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKF-6203-2RSH-Bearing-BNIB-17x40x12/222302122101?epid=1246920427&hash=item33c23d3075:g:Lj0AAOSwn7JYEg-f

Bloody hell that's huge - when you said spigot bearing I thought of the usual one in Xflow and Pinto cranks? Unless there is an oil feed to the bearing, an oilite bronze bush is liable to be too tight or wear excessively - its more just for location anyway as the input shafts tend to 'wobble' around with the input bearing.

https://www.burtonpower.com/crank-spigot-bearing-21x15mm-fp347.html

4 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Car Covers. They arent really meant for weather protection, they are for the time you get so totally frustrated with classics that you can't bear to look at them for a moment longer. I have left mine covered for months on end. Often someone here offers some reassurance to get me motivated again. But it does help to call it a day and walk away for a period of time if for nothing else but your own mental health.

Time is a great healer but cars don't like sitting around for long periods of time, you end up doing added work to it later, I thought I would get some use out of it this year but spending more time working on it instead of driving it, done 14 miles total with 5 miles on a recovery truck

I understand this is part of owning a classic car but have other priorities at the moment and could really do with things going right first time

Edit meant to quote Katana's post!

The original pre x flow Ford ones were just that Oilite bronze (not normal bronze) which as the name implies for those who dont know are impregnated with oil. They can dry out over time say like the 50+ years most of the originals are now, and is often why you can get the occasional screech which people can mistake as thrust bearing. The originals were a snug fit, I have found in the past new old stock, and they're not slack fits by any means.

Obviously these days the way to go is fit a roller bearing. Even for the later smaller 15mm dia input shaft boxes, the last few Anglia's i had, i simply machined the old oilite bearing out to take the standard x flow/pinto/zetec spigot bearing Katana mentions.

Well the clutch and bush is good now and I don't have rust issues so should be thankful for that, I have got a Weber LP1000 top mount throttle kit to fit but need to modify the pedal to take a cable which is going to be the part that holds me up, unfortunately the original throttle bar hasn't worked out connecting to the carbs.

the 1200 engine had to come out anyway, it was leaking oil out of everywhere so needed an overhaul , was easier to build another engine ready to fit which allowed me to still use the car.