Record Breaking Prices

6 hours ago, notenoughtime said:

£66000 seems a reasonable price, like you say they normally price high 

Majority of their cars seem to be low owner, very low miles and mostly overpriced imo.....got a good turnover tho tbf.

Yes, and KGF like to make a BIG PROFIT as well.

2 years ago, I sold my 50k from new Capri MK1 3000E, well known and in as new if not better condition  I sold it for £32k, KGF offered me £14k saying that there is not much interest in them YEAH RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, caprimk1v4 said:

2 years ago, I sold my 50k from new Capri MK1 3000E, well known and in as new if not better condition  I sold it for £32k, KGF offered me £14k saying that there is not much interest in them YEAH RIGHT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!.

Sounds about right 

7 hours ago, caprimk1v4 said:

Thats interesting. I thought they were just like sold cars on consignment and that they didn't really own anything and just took commission. I don't know why I thought that so its good to learn they are just an upmarkert and uppricing classic car outlet.

Hi all,

They will sell your car for you on a commission basis, but they also buy cars to sell on from themselves, but they don't really offer the buyer anymore than if you bought direct from the seller and did all the normal checks for correct ownership etc-etc, just a glorified in door car showroom. 

• Like 1

I considered selling a car with them.

The deal I was offered was they agree a set value with me. Anything over that they get as profit.

So..in simple terms they dont take any risk and the seller doesnt get paid out until the car is sold.

Obviously I declined their offer.

• Like 1

Hmmm i'm sure Trading Standards and Sale of Goods Act etc. would have something to say about any 'loose' sales! Dealers have to sell roadworthy cars that are fit for purpose and as described and why many give a warranty that may only be for 3 months but should find faults within what is termed 'a reasonable timeframe' - so don't park such a car as there isn't much come back in law! Whilst I don't particularly like any car stealer - their sharp practices only benefit one party . . . themselves - they are in it to make money and if people keep providing the cars, they'll keep selling them for as much as they can!

• Like 1

a few points missed here I think, and the rules the last time I looked, all be it was a good few years ago

1) any dealer is like any other business, in it to make a profit, if they weren't they wouldn't be in business, they are NOT a charity

2) how much profit they make from a car will depend on the bargaining of the owner, but suffice to say a dealer that is in a niche market with low volume needs to make a higher profit per car than an everyday dealer

3) dealers will have to add VAT, whereas the private sale does not

4) dealers have to provide 3 months warranty, the level of that cover seen by a court,  depends on the part failing and the mileage of the car, so back sides need to be covered

5) as said above, dealers like KGF will have done all the correct HPI checks, but the way they advertise, they will have also done a lot more additional checks to ensure the car you are buying is good and correct, both mechanically and its history, and not just trusting the owner to his word, and why a car with a prestigious dealer is always going to get a better price, and attention from collectors that otherwise would be ignored

6) and above all they have overheads to meet, wages, building rates, gas electric etc

693665869_cultpng.thumb.png.6aef63fa5ff3c94c9be55432cb49c6f7.png

• Like 1

Agree dealers have overheads and need to make a profit but slightly different when selling classics.

Buyers are not expecting trouble free motoring for thousands of miles as they would with a modern car.

Things go wrong on classics, we all know that. I doubt trade sellers get many warranty claims.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Prices are getting a bit silly now though.  Should sell mine and use the money towards a full Sky TV and Internet subscription so I can watch the new series of Car SOS :-)

In fairness to the Seller though, it's his car to price and he does state "I’m not in a panic to sell or after people judging, your either seriously Interested or not".

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/324643922655?hash=item4b964922df:g:1TkAAOSwUfFgf0VU

image.thumb.png.974d57b84570479ebf6c065c92ee9d0e.png

8 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Ive never seen a black bonnet on an original one before.

Its not original though is it! Its a race car and race cars (and rally cars as well) often had a matt black painted bonnet to avoid glare etc.

• Thanks 1

On 08/06/2021 at 19:33, chinkamon said:

An if I'm honest, I don't like the black bonnet or the ford black stripe

Me either, but as said it would serve a purpose if being used in anger

Still an eye watering price though

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...