Umanisti

Adjustable TCAs w/rose-jointed inners

I have a Mk I Capri, here in the US, that I am finishing up and/or fixing past ills of an earlier restoration. The car will be used for occasional track days, spirited driving, etc. and will always be tended to and tuned.

One of my tasks is to freshen up and uprate the front suspension.  I'm considering the adjustable TCAs with the rose-jointed inner mounts.  But, looking at the rod-end and the pinch-type bolt arrangement, it doesn't seem likely that this inner mounting set-up would stand up to rigorous driving.

Does anyone have specs or special considerations in setting up the inner mount to the crossmember of the TCAs?  Or photos of their set up?

Here's a photo of it resting.

Thanks for any assistance.

1973 Ford Capri.jpg

• Like 2

I’ve got adjustable tcas on both my cars, one with rose joint and one poly bushed. Unless your doing nothing but track I’d go for the rosejointed one but if it’s only occasional track day and fast road go for a polybushed end. The drawbacks of going rose jointing it increasing the roughness of ride quality. With constant spirited driving your going to give either type a hard life, the polybush should give a better option in the whole scenario of things.

by the way nice car, had a 3ltr with the cologne arches on long time ago 👍

• Like 1

Ride quality is a concern, especially over the long term. 

Out of curiosity, with the rose joint, did you add any additional bracing or gusseting within the crossmember at the mounting point? 

The polybushed end, just by the fact that it's wider and fits snuggly in the crossmember, lends additional support.  But, the rose joint appears to be floating within the crossmember.

And, thanks on the compliment on the car.  I had another '73 Mk I about 10 years ago and gathered all of the fun bits (arches, suspension, and engine components) to build the Group 2 RS2600 clone. But, I sold all of it on.  The parts changed hands and states (Calif-Arizona-Texas) a few times and were added to this chassis, when it came up for sale.  Picked it up and brought it home to Calif to complete it.

I'll post my progress and more questions, as I go.

The rose joint is packed out with a spacer each side to keep snug in the crossmember. The only time you would need to beef up the crossmember at the mounting points would be for forest rallying apart from that the std one is more than adequate.

• Like 1

When I bought a set of rose joint tca's they came with the 'top hat' spacers needed to fill out the crossmember-but these can be bought separately-nice car by the way.

On 27/07/2019 at 11:05, meXEco said:

When I bought a set of rose joint tca's they came with the 'top hat' spacers needed to fill out the crossmember-but these can be bought separately-nice car by the way.

Thanks and thanks. 

We have a lot chassis builders in my area, who construct off-road trucks, buggies, and the like for racing down in Baja Mexico.  All of their stuff is built from scratch, so I'll bend one of their's ear to fab an inner mount up.

Really appreciating the helpful tips, here.