mk2 ben

2.3 Tina overheating

I'm at a loss I've got a 2.3 cologne powered mk5 I've put a brand new water pump on it brand new stat and housing brand new high performance ally rad new fan direct on to water pump brand new mahoosive kenlowe fan on the front blowing through brand new guage and sender and new hoses all round she run up to 105 degrees before I turn her off bottom hose gets hot so stat is opening anyone got any tips or advice please I'm rapidly out of ideas tia

I was running a pinto before that started misfiring so I tried a new complete ignition system and a brand new carb even tried a set of bike carbs I think it was a valve issue so I got the v6 at a good price so I dropped that in and it runs beautifully it just seems to overheat?? I've tried everything I know so I'm at a loss now 

3 hours ago, colr6 said:

Was it getting hot before you did all this ? By your post you’ve got two fans on it ? 

Yeah I've got two fans to try keep it cool but still runs well over 100 degrees 

Take the engine fan off, pending flow rates you may be causing a block between the fans.  Is the rad big enough for the v6 ? Does it boil or is it just the temp is to high ? Ign setting to far retarded ? Fit a cooler stat. Try a capillary temp gauge to compare water temps to check your car readings are correct.

Whilst aluminium rads are good and are widely used, they actually perform worst than copper and brass 'oldskool' types - the latter metals having better conductivity. Its not a massive difference but it is there. When you say 'hi performance rad' - how? If its the same size as a 2.0L rad, it really needs to be double or triple core to be classed as such and make any improvements. A V6 is a big chunk of iron that doesn't give up heat easily so I suspect the cooling area may be undersized for the application?

56 minutes ago, katana said:

Whilst aluminium rads are good and are widely used, they actually perform worst than copper and brass 'oldskool' types - the latter metals having better conductivity. Its not a massive difference but it is there. When you say 'hi performance rad' - how? If its the same size as a 2.0L rad, it really needs to be double or triple core to be classed as such and make any improvements. A V6 is a big chunk of iron that doesn't give up heat easily so I suspect the cooling area may be undersized for the application?

It's big triple cored rad listed for a 2.8 capri 

1 hour ago, colr6 said:

Take the engine fan off, pending flow rates you may be causing a block between the fans.  Is the rad big enough for the v6 ? Does it boil or is it just the temp is to high ? Ign setting to far retarded ? Fit a cooler stat. Try a capillary temp gauge to compare water temps to check your car readings are correct.

The temp gauge is in the red before the thermostat opens I wasn't sure if it was the gauge so I've put an aftermarket gauge and sender on it with actual temperature numbers on it the car runs at around 105-108 degrees is that correct it seems too high to me?? 

46 minutes ago, mk2 ben said:

The temp gauge is in the red before the thermostat opens I wasn't sure if it was the gauge so I've put an aftermarket gauge and sender on it with actual temperature numbers on it the car runs at around 105-108 degrees is that correct it seems too high to me?? 

Have you matched the sender to the gauge? You need to fit the sender the car came with to the engine not use the sender the engine came with. 

Have you matched the sender to the gauge? You need to fit the sender the car came with to the engine not use the sender the engine came with. 
I couldn't be sure so I put on an aftermarket gauge and sender matched set it just seems to me to be a bit high running at 108 degrees I thought around 90-95 would be more normal??

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

It shouldn't get anywhere near that temp before stat opens! They normally open between 80 - 85 deg C, normally have rating stamped on them. What about the rad cap - 13lb was usual although 16 and 20lbs were alternatives - higher pressure = higher water temp before it boils. Modern engines are designed to run hotter 90 - 100 degrees to reduce cooling requirements which reduces drag. These though are all alloy construction, cast iron have to run cooler to avoid seizure. Could have a massive airlock somewhere?

It's got a brand new 13lb cap from Burton power I must have emptied and refilled the thing a dozen times takes around 7.5 litres of water 

If it’s reading  that high and it’s not passing water I’d be looking at possibly the gauge been wrong or the stat been faulty. As said the stat should open before it gets to that temp. Does it have an expansion bottle ?

6 hours ago, colr6 said:

If it’s reading  that high and it’s not passing water I’d be looking at possibly the gauge been wrong or the stat been faulty. As said the stat should open before it gets to that temp. Does it have an expansion bottle ?

This is the second stat I've tried and the second gauge I may try running without the stat although I've been told that's not a great idea as the water won't stay in the rad long enough to cool?? 

2 hours ago, mk2 ben said:

I've been told that's not a great idea as the water won't stay in the rad long enough to cool?? 

You've nothing to lose then as it doesn't appear to be cooling at all at the moment LOL!

When I first put a 2.9 Cologne in my Mk3 I used an FX4 taxi rad, it was ok except in traffic jams and when escaping from car shows etc, I now have a big bespoke aluminuim rad fitted, had to cut into the slam panel about 25mm to give it clearance and fitted 2 Kenlow fans, it never overheats now, I did take the engine fan off to save engine power and electric fans dont come on when on the open road, as said your two fans could be working against each other. DSCF2379_zpsy8ckfd7y.jpgRadiatorfitting001_zps70fee842.jpg

• Like 1

you say the bottom hose is getting hot so the stats opening,  the top hose should be the hottest after the stat opens, the bottom hose is the coolest after the water has been through the rad and it returns to the block, check yr heater hoses are the correct orientation

On 18/08/2019 at 11:32, deltamal said:

Just to rule it out, could be worth trying it with the thermostat removed......

It did run cooler with no stat but I've been told that these v6 colognes run around 100 degrees as the stat isn't fully open til 102 degrees???