Sign in to follow this  
dt36

Roadside Car Jack

What jacks are you carrying in your cars with your spare wheel. Any pics? 

I need to get a new jack to keep in my boot that is fairly light and compact, instead of carrying my trolley jack about. 

I'd rather go with something new ish from a more modern car, rather than an old original Ford jack, just for the safety side of it. 

I’ve got a small trolly jack in my boot, got it from the local motor factors. Will get you a pic tomorrow night.

• Like 2

I use a scissor jack, small light and very low so that it fits under the suspension when the tyre is flat, make sure that it has a wide base though.

• Like 1

I have a scissor jack as above. Does the job. I might have a spare one . Will have a look in the shed.

• Like 1

I used to carry a very small trolley jack in the boot. Fitted under my lowered car....just, However what I'd overlooked, when the tyres go flat it drops the car by the amount of tyre sidewall height obviously, so the trolley jack was completely useless as I found out on a hard shoulder one day. My mate I was with following, had one of those cheapy ebay scissor jacks which fitted under perfectly and did the job.

So I also bought a similar smallest height scissor jack I could find off Ebay, only cost a few quid, perfect doesn't take up hardly any space.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2-TON-TONNE-SCISSOR-JACK-LIFT-WIND-UP-FOR-CAR-VAN-GARAGE-HOME-EMERGENCY-QUALITY/292140705425?hash=item4404f16691:g:7GEAAOSw9NhbB7vd

• Like 1

I have never had a problem with the original tower jacks and they are quite nice and flat. I still have the original one that came with my Mk2 and use it several times a year. I find the Mk1 versions are a bit sturdier and work well with Mk2s as well. Its true you cant beat a good trolley when your at home or garage but for a 5 minute wheel changer the originals do the job adequately and of course add that extra originality when the boot is open at shows.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, dt36 said:

I need to get a new jack to keep in my boot that is fairly light and compact, instead of carrying my trolley jack about. 

I'd rather go with something new ish from a more modern car, rather than an old original Ford jack, just for the safety side of it. 

Got you a pic Dale, to give you some idea of size it’s next to the battery in the boot

91B05B1D-8FDB-4527-AE53-862EF18A114D.jpeg

• Like 1

On 22/08/2019 at 03:57, Rally Pack 2000 said:

I have never had a problem with the original tower jacks and they are quite nice and flat. I still have the original one that came with my Mk2 and use it several times a year. I find the Mk1 versions are a bit sturdier and work well with Mk2s as well. Its true you cant beat a good trolley when your at home or garage but for a 5 minute wheel changer the originals do the job adequately and of course add that extra originality when the boot is open at shows.

Problem is with the mk1 jacks you can only do half a turn at a time, the knob hits the door.

On mk2 you don't have that problem because it rotates vertically.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.10f558db881c750e35f31110fc59845c.jpg839238435_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.af410feee8df9c713fb8c5deb30f300a.jpg

• Like 1

On 21/08/2019 at 21:40, dt36 said:

Nissan primera.

small sturdy and cheap (second hand)

320575152_s-l1600(2).thumb.jpg.32c3f669ddf91e6bbab4b2c9ccfa3ff4.jpg

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Quico said:

Problem is with the mk1 jacks you can only do half a turn at a time, the knob hits the door.

On mk2 you don't have that problem because it rotates vertically.

s-l1600.thumb.jpg.10f558db881c750e35f31110fc59845c.jpg839238435_s-l1600(1).thumb.jpg.af410feee8df9c713fb8c5deb30f300a.jpg

That's a very early type Mk1 version the one I was referring to is a later one that has the winding system like the Mk2 version but with the stronger arm of the early Mk1 type.

Mine is as the blue one.

I thought they were all the same.

Road side Jack? I thought you were describing a lass from our village when we were lads, she provided that service........😱

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Quico said:

Mine is as the blue one.

I thought they were all the same.

I will try dig mine out for some photos, its rusty and well used compared to that blue one. I love that one, as it is pictured is a work of art with its original bag I would keep for my Twincam. It may not work as well but it looks awesome!

2 minutes ago, accord83 said:

Road side Jack? I thought you were describing a lass from our village when we were lads, she provided that service........😱

You don't get personalised service any more its all self serv now.

• Haha 1

these images are from google.

mine is the same "species" but not in that condition

3 minutes ago, Quico said:

these images are from google.

mine is the same "species" but not in that condition

Still I may try hunt for one myself and paint it up. Good for show but will still work in a pinch if you get a flat.

59 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Still I may try hunt for one myself and paint it up. Good for show but will still work in a pinch if you get a flat.

Stage one motorsport advertising those for £25

I ended up picking this up in the week through Marketplace. Cost £5 brand new. 

Not actually tried it yet, but probably pulling the car out for fuel tomorrow and a breakfast meet on Sunday. Will give it a go tomorrow. 

Screenshot_20190822-192239.png