Other Classics We Own / Owned or Admire

Rally Pack 2000

On 24/08/2019 at 07:29, notenoughtime said:

So if we are on this level I think I’d one of these, the XJ220, I was looking for the silver but found this green one which looked awesome 

481B526B-1F79-4B1E-8E03-C4C2CCCDEEF9.thumb.jpeg.5066e508612719f61f595c3f9832624c.jpeg

Here you go not enough. I went to the supercar weekend at Beauliue at the beginning of August and there were 2 of these!

20190803_135801.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Munch said:

That's proper tasty that.

I have never been one to replicate other cars preferring my own to be unique but I would totally copy the look of this car even the wheels. It wouldn't have a GT3 engine as I couldn't afford one but a hot beetle 1500 engine would be good enough to cruise those stunning looks around the streets. Better still if you guys could take Stephens_Xpack for a few drinks and get him smashed while I do a engine swap on his SC.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

I have never been one to replicate other cars preferring my own to be unique but I would totally copy the look of this car even the wheels. It wouldn't have a GT3 engine as I couldn't afford one but a hot beetle 1500 engine would be good enough to cruise those stunning looks around the streets. Better still if you guys could take Stephens_Xpack for a few drinks and get him smashed while I do a engine swap on his SC.

That could be arranged! 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

A hot Beetle engine? Wassat then?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

In turn we would naturally help you then pinch the one out of your mums 😀

Unfortunately Rally Pack, my Ma wrote hers off probably about 8 years ago now I reckon. As I said it was black, with black leather, silver/black fuchs etc, really nice example, OIL 911 7 private plate, a very nice cherished car, the odd bit needed doing which she got done as soon as she bought it. She just remembers going to a work seminar type thing, as she did use it a lot as a daily, and then coming round as fire fighters where cutting the roof off to try and get her out. cracked her head from eye socket to ear which took her quite a long time to get over because of nerve damage around the eye and stuff. She paid £13k which at the time was quite a bit, but like i said, it was a really nice car.

Unfortunately it put her off of replacing with like for like for quite a while because of the head/face injury, and by the time she decided she would like another 3 or 4 years later, the same car had jumped from £13k to nearer £40k.

That was all front end damage, so no doubt someone somewhere did get a nice 3.2 flat six.

She has settled for a much newer Boxster now, quick as you like, but not the 911 she had....but she still a live....:thumbsup:

So if you had 4 grand to spend on an every day run around classic (80s & 90s incl) what would you consider? I had originally though of a Mercedes 230 SLK but it was suggested on here my masculinity maybe drawn into question if I got one. So are there any stand out reliable cars out there that are sure to be classics of the future for their quirkyness or unique design?

4 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

So if you had 4 grand to spend on an every day run around classic (80s & 90s incl) what would you consider? I had originally though of a Mercedes 230 SLK but it was suggested on here my masculinity maybe drawn into question if I got one. So are there any stand out reliable cars out there that are sure to be classics of the future for their quirkyness or unique design?

saab turbo

If you can find one, i'm sure a fiat uno turbo would be in that price bracket. I always wanted one in the early 90's and I think they're awesome! Did you get them in OZ? They were few and far between back then, so future classic is definitely on the cards.

7 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Oooh just slips in budget this Corrado VR6 :dance::dance:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904106837769

6 hours ago, eeb43 said:

saab turbo

SaabTurbo.jpg.77933198c446c8da07bd4e1c86270130.jpg

6 hours ago, accord83 said:

Early, pre face lift Volvo 760/740 turbo. A big old ugly barge to smoke about in, lovely.

Volvo-760-1.thumb.jpg.4b24410739c4c52c6206acb4e03fbeb4.jpg

6 hours ago, Munch said:

If you can find one, i'm sure a fiat uno turbo would be in that price bracket. I always wanted one in the early 90's and I think they're awesome! Did you get them in OZ? They were few and far between back then, so future classic is definitely on the cards.

FiatUno.jpg.210ae3c55aafc9d0216b92077b650963.jpg

5 hours ago, notenoughtime said:

C32 AMG Mercedes would be a good buy 

C32Mercedes.jpg.49b8c7725c80cd38496358f12256c89b.jpg

3 hours ago, Vista said:

Oooh just slips in budget this Corrado VR6 :dance::dance:

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201904106837769

Corrado.thumb.jpg.7158c32b79db966d9237625f741af15f.jpg

Some interesting choices in amongst them chaps. It also help learn more about the people on the other end of the keyboards seeing a more practical side.

While I love the Corrado V6 it and the Fiat Uno are not models you get here in Australia.

I love the build quality and ruggedness of the Swedes but I haven't been able to embrace the styling. I remembered a girl once who worked out at Jenolan Caves that took you through some heavy Kangaroo county. After three small Japanese cars lost on the way to work she bought the Volvo that saw her out till she moved on to another job. She referred to it as her Roo deflector. Tough cars!

The Mercedes is nice but doesn't have that classic difference I'm looking for. Its too corporate executive I think and wouldn't want anyone thinking I was respectable or conventional. The 230 SLK was just that little bit different (and seems to be offered in brighter colours) that it caught my eye. But still looking.

1 hour ago, Vista said:

Yes we did get those. I don't have much experience with the later Celicas. The first version were like the enemy back in the day.

1 hour ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Yes we did get those. I don't have much experience with the later Celicas. The first version were like the enemy back in the day.

I owned an ST185 in the early noughties, it was black and some of my friends called it the Batmobile. Piss taking barstewards! It cornered like it was on rails and was quickish, but not as quick in stock trim as the headline figures suggest as the 4WD system sapped some of the power and they're quite heavy. Great traction though and quite tunable with Toyota reliability. I'd have another as a modern classic but would probably seek out tan ST205 or ST185 Carlos Sainz limited edition model rather than a standard ST185.