Jump to content
zondas

My Escort MK2 Assembly Begins

Recommended Posts

Thought i would share some pics of my three plus years of fun,

On the third picture does anyone know a way of removing the large sleeve that covers the steering wheel boss without damaging it i have tried carefully WD40 hot water ect but its not keen on budging...

IMG_1960.JPG

IMG_1959.JPG

IMG_1912.JPG

IMG_1938.JPG

IMG_1957.JPG

IMG_1937.JPG

IMG_1935.JPG

IMG_1934.JPG

IMG_1863.JPG

IMG_1853.JPG

IMG_1852.JPG

IMG_1851.JPG

IMG_1850.JPG

IMG_1849.JPG

IMG_1793.JPG

IMG_1792.JPG

IMG_1777.JPG

IMG_1776.JPG

IMG_1775.JPG

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not the best its had a full floor and outer sills x2 inner wings x2 chassis legs front panels back panel the usual bottom quarter panel wheel well replacement panels the bulkhead was not bad but i fitted the strengthening one that comes in three sections also replaced the rear lower window frame at the back window got that from Higgins in Ireland and its a decent fit all the rest of the panels are magnum also put in an auto tunnel,

Its a 1600 sport and will have the zetec conversion all the running gear is brand new except the rear axle casing and the front anti roll bar and yes its probably be standing

me close to £40k when its done :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't think the steering wheel boss can be separated - its part of the 80's idea of driver protection, collapsible structure?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, katana said:

Don't think the steering wheel boss can be separated - its part of the 80's idea of driver protection, collapsible structure?

Its only the outer cover i need it spins round on the wheel so its not attached to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, katana said:

Don't think the steering wheel boss can be separated - its part of the 80's idea of driver protection, collapsible structure?

 

3 hours ago, zondas said:

Its only the outer cover i need it spins round on the wheel so its not attached to it.

The boss is fixed just like Katana says. If its just the rubberised/plastic cover you need to get off it actually pulls down and off. It has ridges in it that lock into metal ridges of the boss.  You can see the first of those rounded ridges at the bottom of your boss. The thing with the covers is that they get less flexible with age so a bit of heat may be required to pull it off. I have seen them split when this has been attempted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's looking great...well worth all the effort. Will run great with a zetec too

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, notenoughtime said:

So have you done a bolt on conversion for your wings? 

Yes i decided the main reason is when there welded on its difficult to prep and paint under the inner wing rail as its only got a coat of zinc weld primer which is not the best long term protection when welding on....this way means the heat from welding dosent disrupt all the measures taken to keep corrosion away also when assembling everything back together it makes it all so easy took a long time to fettle them but i can remove and refit them in miniutes.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

 

The boss is fixed just like Katana says. If its just the rubberised/plastic cover you need to get off it actually pulls down and off. It has ridges in it that lock into metal ridges of the boss.  You can see the first of those rounded ridges at the bottom of your boss. The thing with the covers is that they get less flexible with age so a bit of heat may be required to pull it off. I have seen them split when this has been attempted.

Thanks i will keep at it now i know it comes off the problem is maybe iam being to careful as like you mentioned i don't want to damage it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...