Sign in to follow this  
johnboy

Replacement Mk2 Wheel Stud lengths

I'm currently rebuilding a set of RS struts that will need a set of new wheel studs. I plan to replace them with longer studs as it will give me more wheel options in the future and standard studs always seem a little short in my opinion.

What's the general consensus as to a good useful stud length? also what are the longest studs you can fit on the rear without having to remove the halfshafts?

You will probably have to remove the half shafts irrespective of the length. 

One thing to also consider when buying new studs is the depth of the splined shoulder on the stud. If it's too long and protrudes, then you will run out of thread before your wheel clamps tight to the hub flange. 

I speak from experience with that mishap 😂

Good point about the shoulder, probably best to get some without any shoulder if possible.  I think I'll be able to get the old ones out without removing the halfshafts. I did one years ago by pushing the studs out with a G clamp into some tube or a socket. It worked okay.

6 hours ago, johnboy said:

Good point about the shoulder, probably best to get some without any shoulder if possible.  I think I'll be able to get the old ones out without removing the halfshafts. I did one years ago by pushing the studs out with a G clamp into some tube or a socket. It worked okay.

These are what I bought and the shoulder was too long. I'd  already beat 1 side out as the thread was damaged, so had to at least get 1 side fitted to get the car back up and rolling the same day. I ended up running a tap along the part of the protruding shoulder. 

It was a good while ago now and I think my issue might only have been on my front hubs. If I remember correctly, the half shafts were OK and the flange was thicker. 

Anyway, hopefully these pics might be of some help to you. Both my half shafts and front hubs are standard RS2000. 

IMG_20190928_185844817.jpg

IMG_20190928_185812363.jpg

IMG_20190928_185440070.jpg

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, johnboy said:

Thanks for that, they are about 15mm longer than mine.

Sounds as if your car was fitted with steel wheels, as they'd be way to short for alloys even using tube nuts!

When I fitted discs to the rear, I upped the stud length to 63mm ( I think) as I had to add a 10mm spacer for caliper clearance on the std. RS alloys.

9 hours ago, katana said:

Sounds as if your car was fitted with steel wheels, as they'd be way to short for alloys even using tube nuts!

When I fitted discs to the rear, I upped the stud length to 63mm ( I think) as I had to add a 10mm spacer for caliper clearance on the std. RS alloys.

63mm? Wow thats huge!

3 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

63mm? Wow thats huge!

Not really - about 3/4" or 19mm - don't forget i've added 4mm disc thickness + 10mm spacer + RS alloys and the tube nuts don't bottom out! I probably could have used 2 1/4" studs but having 1/4" / 6mm less thread engagement didn't appeal LOL!

Well, been there done that!

When I bought my jbw minilites I had to change the wheek studs, the cheapest option was mk4 fiesta ones from the scrapyard. There are two sizes front/rear, I brought only the longest ones.

There´s a longer shoulder on them so every time I need to use the steelies again, I have to put a 5mm spacer at the front. No problem at the back because the drum compensates that.

IMG_0123.thumb.JPG.f606fe25d7928497d01460dd3ce2a162.JPGIMG_0126.thumb.JPG.73cc9c995218c2b2cc0ff2106493f5be.JPG

• Like 1