Rich T

Got the fuzzy wuzzies!

Just noticed the white powder building up pn the positive terminal on the battery. Anyone know what causes it? The car has only been running a month or 2 and it has built up pretty quickly. Alternator charging at 14.2v.

Going to clean and grease it on Monday.

That is all 😜

20191005_140704.jpg

20191005_124720.jpg

Yeah, it,s only a bit of sulfuric battery acid that is reacting with the steel and copper, it only takes a tiny amount and the fur grows.

For me, I use Bicarbonate of soda in warm water (say half a teaspoon full in a mug of warm water), take off what you can and drop it into the mug of bicarb/water, use a clean cloth dipped in same Bicarb water to wipe around the battery post, dry it all off, reassemble everything with a fine smear of Vaseline (Better than grease).

Job done.

Al.,  

• Like 2

Shouldn't be hard to sort.

Caught it early 👍

I read the title and thought you had eaten a bad curry or something!

You can go years without the acid affecting the terminals and then out of the blue it suddenly appears. As caprimk1v4 advises, BiCarb and Lube and its sorted.

I'll give that a try.

Funnily enough. We are off out for a curry in a hour or so. So heres hoping for no repercussions tomorrow lol.

• Haha 1

Don't worry, Bicarb in warm water is great for Heart Burn & upset stomach's, indigestion etc-etc, great if you run out of Rennie's etc-etc.

4 minutes ago, caprimk1v4 said:

Don't worry, Bicarb in warm water is great for Heart Burn & upset stomach's, indigestion etc-etc, great if you run out of Rennie's etc-etc.

My mum uses for just about anything. She unblocks the drains with it with a bottle of vinegar.

2 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

My mum uses for just about anything. She unblocks the drains with it with a bottle of vinegar.

So she's dumping an Alkali in the drain then neutralising it with acid vinegar- might as well just use water LOL!

6 hours ago, katana said:

So she's dumping an Alkali in the drain then neutralising it with acid vinegar- might as well just use water LOL!

No not at all, the reaction itself is fast fizzy and suddenly expansive which pushes out whatever is blocking the drain.