Rich T

Do you use air filters on your side draughts?

I know what air filters are for, its obvious.

But do you use them?

I dont at the moment but the car is coming off the road for winter soon so considering weather to for next year and onwards.

Personally im not to worried weather or not it does/doesnt look better with them.

My only concern is a spit back from the carbs and the filters setting fire.

What do you do??

It's scary when it does happen.this was due to a cracked petrol pipe near the dizzy. The ramair filter certainly accelerated the fire . Took ages to get the carb clean.

20180527_170014.jpg

• Like 1

I’ve always used K&N filters as against the likes of ITG foam style filters exactly for that reason. Not that I’ve had one go up in smoke yet but understand your concerns. If the carbs are suffering with that much stand off or spitting back maybe a further look into set up is required.

2 hours ago, colr6 said:

I’ve always used K&N filters as against the likes of ITG foam style filters exactly for that reason. Not that I’ve had one go up in smoke yet but understand your concerns. If the carbs are suffering with that much stand off or spitting back maybe a further look into set up is required.

K&N here for me too. Used them since the 80s when David Vizard recommended them in his book as I had never heard of them before. I had a set in the Twincam since I bought it and it does suffer quite dramatically from spitback at times and while the elements never caught fire the polymer rings that form the top and bottom rings of the filer did shrink with time so that the filters lost half inch in length. Even though perfectly usable it look a bit crappy. I contacted K&N after 20 years in the USA to ask about it and they mention that heat resistant plastics weren't as evolved then and their older filters did in fact shrink sometimes. They had some kind of lifetime warranty on them or something so they posted out new elements happily. After 20 years of use you cant ask for better service than that. I then had the housings re-chromed to make them look all new again.  I put wing nuts on mine so I could drive it to events with the K&Ns on and whip them off to put the muffler style original air-filter on when I had to show under the bonnet.

For the Mk2, in its Pinto downdraft, I used a small oval for a while but the concave bonnet of regular Mk2s means you couldn't fit anything but a really thin filter on it. Add to that the high lip of the 32/36, there was  barely 10mm clearance between the top of the filter and the top of the carburettor and the movement of air round that tight bend made it sound like a vacuum cleaner. At the time K&N didn't make huge round elements for the early style original Pinto air-filter but they did make a flat type one for the later European Mk2 RS2000 type one. I also like how it was designed in that this air-filter housing ramps up the flow to the top of the carburettor rather than simply sticking through it forcing the air to take a sharp bend up and over. Its flat shape filter element  also makes it easier to clean.

What I like about K&Ns over the sponge type too is that the elements are thin and pleated.  You have to use their own cleaner and oil but it works very well. You can see them getting clean unlike the sponge type which I could never get the smaller particles from deep within the sponge. Mind you that technology has probably advanced by now but I have never had the need to change back from K&N.

Thanks for your input chaps.

I'll have a think about it over winter. Looks like k&n are the way to go if i put filters on. 

Ive seen the mesh trumpet covers so may think about getting them. Well, they'll keep the birds out 😁.

Tbh i wasn't that impressed with the tuners. Theres a  bit of a flat spot at about half pedal. Should have rung them straight away but dont really want to go back to them.

It only splutters occasionally but thats enough so I'll avoid the foam filters.

Rich