Vista

Old Skool Ford Tour of the Moor 2020

To all of you who have been in the last 3 years we've run this event, in particular those who've camped at the River Dart Country Park, grateful for your comment and feedback in this thread.

We had hoped to go back to the River Dart Country Park again this year, feedback from those who've camped has been positive, the facilities are good and it's popular with those of you who've attended with families. Unfortunately however they've given us a fairly hefty hike in their rates for next year and it's not one I feel comfortable with as it's a 34% uplift on the price we paid per pitch in 2019. In the first year we made a significant loss on the field we booked and I was happy for the site to absorb that as a way of moving the event forward and growing it. Since then we have always passed the cost of the camp site on at cost to us and ensured that any block booking discount we negotiated was passed straight on to people wanting to attend. This  year however, once you do the maths on the field, the venue is offering no discount at all and the price hike, in effect, is a 34% uplift on 2019 rates. To break even on that we'd need to fill the entire field at the standard rate of around £66 per pitch. The rate for the tour itself would remain unchanged. 

Our choices are:

1. Pay up (though I am continuing to discuss  pricing with the venue) and hope we still get sufficient bookings to cover it without too much loss
  2. Book somewhere else for camping (we are looking for cheaper venues as I write)
  3. Arrange the event so it's tour only with travellers sorting their own accommodation 
  4. Cancel altogether.

I welcome any constructive comment folks.

There is no need to cancel! Provided that option 3 is still on the table.

I would like to attend on a Tour Only Pass again this year as camping is not a legitimate strategy for my other half.

• Thanks 1

Its increasing likely that option 3 will be the way forward. I dont want to cancel as the proposed route looks really good. 

However we are not prepared to pass on the increased camping prices. Another location has been looked at however their prices are very similar. 

A basic campsite (no family attractions) has also been found but that again is gonna be about £25 per night per pitch. 

32 minutes ago, Mexican Gerbil said:

Its increasing likely that option 3 will be the way forward. I dont want to cancel as the proposed route looks really good. 

I hope not, I’ve already booked my hotel !! My only concern is the security of the car overnight. Something I will be approaching the hotel about.

Just now, colr6 said:

I hope not, I’ve already booked my hotel !! My only concern is the security of the car overnight. Something I will be approaching the hotel about.

You know they have lodges on site don't you Col?

1 minute ago, Vista said:

You know they have lodges on site don't you Col?

From what I could find on their website the lodges are only available during school holidays

I dont know if im reading it right but river dart website mid season 2 people per pitch are quoting £29 a night? 

3 hours ago, khanlad said:

I dont know if im reading it right but river dart website mid season 2 people per pitch are quoting £29 a night? 

That's with no electric hook up. All of the 35 pitches on the field we've used for the last two years have electric hook up. £33.00 per night for two people. in 2018 we negotiated a deal of £45 for the weekend for each pitch, 2019 was a small increase at £50 (both of these rates were passed on at cost to all participants). This year they want to book out the whole field to us as a one at £2300. IF we fill it, that's just under £66.00 per pitch, so no discount over standard rates at all. If we don't fill it, we take a big hit. 

I don't really have any say in this just a long distance observation but raising the price in itself is excessive and they probably hoped you wouldn't do the maths when they quoted you one lump sum. But to raise the price and expect you to take the whole field regardless of how many you get I feel is a deal breaker. For a camp site these fees even at 66 pounds seems really high to me. Modest hotel rooms would not be much more surely? I would decline and tell them why, exactly as you have laid it out here, not only has the price risen by 30% you cant be expected to pay for the unfilled pitches because he wants a lump sum. They are trying to play you, when I see that happened I instinctively reject the proposal. That's the feeling I get with this.