Ben Perry

Mk2 cortina brakes+clutch

Hi all wondering if any one can help me firstly I’m gunner run two remote reservoirs one for clutch (7.0 with rx8 box)? But my next question is what size shud I run on brakes I’m obviously gunner run a hydraulic bias valve, but I want to go rear discs and princess venteted front calipers since they are peanuts my worry Is will it work? 
cheers

Firstly having two reservoirs are generally required / fitted with hydraulic clutch / brake systems! What I think you mean are Master Cylinders - whether a 0.7" master for the clutch will be correct is guesswork and subject to pedal ratio, slave cylinder and how you want it to actually feel!

If you aren't using a brake bias box with twin brake masters (a better solution IMO although more complicated) I assume you are retaining a std master cylinder and servo arrangement - i'd use a RS type, although the use of AP calipers on the front and discs on the rear will likely Gerbil up the pressures / feel / efficiency of the brakes. What you term a 'hydraulic bias valve' isn't, its a fluid flow restriction device and a 'Band Aid' solution for a mismatched brake set up - it just makes the rears work less efficiently. Ultimately, IMO, i'd forget the front / rear adjustment and put even bigger brakes on the front so you can use a twin port, single master into a diagonally split system that would be balanced front to rear - This is not easy, but the car manufacturers are very good at it - the average car fettler not so!

2 hours ago, katana said:

Firstly having two reservoirs are generally required / fitted with hydraulic clutch / brake systems! What I think you mean are Master Cylinders - whether a 0.7" master for the clutch will be correct is guesswork and subject to pedal ratio, slave cylinder and how you want it to actually feel!

If you aren't using a brake bias box with twin brake masters (a better solution IMO although more complicated) I assume you are retaining a std master cylinder and servo arrangement - i'd use a RS type, although the use of AP calipers on the front and discs on the rear will likely Gerbil up the pressures / feel / efficiency of the brakes. What you term a 'hydraulic bias valve' isn't, its a fluid flow restriction device and a 'Band Aid' solution for a mismatched brake set up - it just makes the rears work less efficiently. Ultimately, IMO, i'd forget the front / rear adjustment and put even bigger brakes on the front so you can use a twin port, single master into a diagonally split system that would be balanced front to rear - This is not easy, but the car manufacturers are very good at it - the average car fettler not so!

Cheers for your reply I meant master cylinders lol and thanks for your help so you think to use a bias pedal box ?

4 hours ago, Ben Perry said:

Cheers for your reply I meant master cylinders lol and thanks for your help so you think to use a bias pedal box ?

That's what I did - but I sort of didn't have a choice what with fitting a Zetec, the induction used all the space available! Don't if its right yet and wiring not finished but feels ok on the pedal!

1 hour ago, katana said:

That's what I did - but I sort of didn't have a choice what with fitting a Zetec, the induction used all the space available! Don't if its right yet and wiring not finished but feels ok on the pedal!

Yeh tell me about it I’m zetec with k series inlet it’s very tight lol did you use mk2 box? If so pretty straight forward bracket fab? 

T9 in mine and tried the Retroford bracket but couldn't make it work so fab'd up a mount - it's a bit gash but should do the job!