mk1 capri gt 2lt v4 engine

I LOVE THEM. xxxxxxx.

To be honest, I like them for the rarity factor, I was brought up on 1.7 & 2.0 V4,s 

They did the job at the time, and was at its best in Capri MK1 body shells, and at there worst in MK1 Transit,s, Zephyr/Zodiac, but found there way under a few Ford bonnets like Corsair etc-etc.

Can be tuned, but not responsive per £ spent on them, not smooth, and was replaced by the much more reliable and more tune-able T-88 "Pinto SOHC engine".

I have 4 brand new crated 1.7 H.C. V4,s complete, and they are worth scrap value, but I paid £25.00 each for them, so happy days, one day I will strip all the ancillaries off them, and weigh in the blocks/heads.

For me if a car had one under the lid when it was new, then it should still be there, 90% of people with V4 powered Fords will have lifted it out to fit either its big brother V6, or a Pinto engine, but yes I have a soft spot for them. 

OK I will stand in the corner with a letter "D" on my head.

7 minutes ago, caprimk1v4 said:

I LOVE THEM. xxxxxxx.

To be honest, I like them for the rarity factor, I was brought up on 1.7 & 2.0 V4,s 

They did the job at the time, and was at its best in Capri MK1 body shells, and at there worst in MK1 Transit,s, Zephyr/Zodiac, but found there way under a few Ford bonnets like Corsair etc-etc.

Can be tuned, but not responsive per £ spent on them, not smooth, and was replaced by the much more reliable and more tune-able T-88 "Pinto SOHC engine".

I have 4 brand new crated 1.7 H.C. V4,s complete, and they are worth scrap value, but I paid £25.00 each for them, so happy days, one day I will strip all the ancillaries off them, and weigh in the blocks/heads.

For me if a car had one under the lid when it was new, then it should still be there, 90% of people with V4 powered Fords will have lifted it out to fit either its big brother V6, or a Pinto engine, but yes I have a soft spot for them. 

OK I will stand in the corner with a letter "D" on my head.

I would go quirky and different every time. They just look the perfect size to work on.

4 Brand new engines in boxes? I wouldn't be stripping them for parts. One day they will be highly sought after if they arent already. Whats the difference between the 1.7s and 2.0s? Like is it just bore size thing or more?  Given you have new ones in boxes, I would probably be looking at using one of those with upgrades than getting and old 2.0lt and a complete rebuild.

They have a big Achilles heel. Its called a fibre timing wheel. You can buy steel replacements, but they should come with free ear defenders! as they're pretty noisy. The only part worth saving on those new 1700's would be the fibre wheel!

My Brother had mk1 V4 Capri back in the day, and the engine was ok in that, it was just the rest of the car that fell apart. I owned two British mk1 transits back then both with 2 litre V4's. One was brilliant and never gave any trouble, the other however got swapped out for a V6 pretty quickly. The V6 ironically died two years later when the fibre timing wheel gave up the ghost. 

I now own a Corsair but it was never a V4 being the earlier 1500 Kent version originally. But at shows I'm continually asked about V4 and told their Dad had a V4 back in the day, so plenty of people still remember them.

Dont forget that the old NSU RO80's were also fitted with the Ford V4s in abundance, as the old Wankel rotary engines gave up the ghost after a relatively short space of time.

Hi,

Difference between 1.7 & 2.0 Essex V4 is crank,rods and piston's, bore is the same., heads have smaller valves, cam lift and duration also different between bigger and smaller versions, inlet manifold is a single carb single choke on  1.7,  2.0 is twin choke, slightly different timing curve on the dissi, but the blocks are good for both capacities. 

Fiber wheels are a weak link, more so if the engine has ever overheated as was quite often in the Zephyr/Zodiac and to an extent Transit, and over revving them can bring on instant stripping of the fiber wheel teeth.

3 hours ago, katana said:

Makes you wonder why Ford persisted with the fibre gear wheels if they knew them to be suspect in 1700, 2000, 2600, 3000 and 3100 engines, ie. the whole family of Vee motors! I think the 'Cologne' 2.8 and 2.9's had steel gears?

I saw reference to this flawed fibre wheel on one of the later Wheeler Dealer episodes. They mentioned a steel replacement has been fitted. Ken above mentions sound issues though? It seems like a good solution though if it could be made to work.

1 hour ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

I saw reference to this flawed fibre wheel on one of the later Wheeler Dealer episodes. They mentioned a steel replacement has been fitted. Ken above mentions sound issues though? It seems like a good solution though if it could be made to work.

Yes the steel wheel conversion was well known 'back in the day' As usual there was the cheap and noisy way = straight cut gears or the expensive but helical, quieter gears. being racers tend to rag their engines and aren't worried about noise guess what got used the most!

• Like 1