Sign in to follow this  
KiwiCortina

Front Hub Tab Washer

The little tabs on the front hub washer (Mk2 Cortina) had worn down/broken off so I replaced them with new tab washers. As per the Haynes manual, whilst turning the hub I torqued the hub nut up to 27ft/lb and then backed it off 90 degrees. The hub had no end float and rotated smoothly, but when I took the nut off for inspection the washer tab had sheared off again. This happened on both sides. I had applied a thin smear of grease between the nut and washer, but the washer has still managed to rotate during assembly and shear off the tab. Anyone else have this happen, and are the tabs essential...?

I'm wondering what the purpose of the tab is. I know that older cars had threaded type bearings which were preloaded, and the tab prevented the washer from turning during installation and then turning the bearing, increasing preload.

I’ve never torqued up and wound back, just wind nut up till you get a resistance and check for play with the wheel on. Then tab over. Never over tighten a taper bearing. A slight bit of play is normal.

2 hours ago, colr6 said:

I’ve never torqued up and wound back, just wind nut up till you get a resistance and check for play with the wheel on. Then tab over. Never over tighten a taper bearing. A slight bit of play is normal.

i always do the same!

On 02/02/2020 at 21:39, colr6 said:

Thanks - that's the plan of attack now that I have replacement washers.  It's odd that both the Mk2 & Mk4/5 Haynes manuals recommend the over-tightening then loosening method, but the general consensus is that that's a bad idea and not required.

I might be wrong, but I think Ford were thinking along the lines of tighten to 27lb, to seat the taper bearing concentric to the the inner race, but as others have advised, I do the same as them, tighten to feel slight drag on the bearing, should always be a bit very small bit of play, as the bearing will tighten up in use due to heat expansion, and take up the float.

Same with grease, don't over pack it or it will generate heat and end up all over the disc and bugger up the bearing & seal, once I have greased up the new bearing by hand, no more than a third of the cap should be filled with grease, but I could be miles out, my cars get pushed more than they move on there own power !!!!!.