Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BROWNY 1968

2.2 pinto conrods

Recommended Posts

so ive always wanted to build a big capacity pinto but the budget is a bit slim,(to many motors) but ive been offered a diesel bottom end out of a g reg mk4 escort van that is hopefully a 1.8 (need to check that) just wondered if this will have the right conrods for a low buck 2.2 litre pinto build

cheers guys

🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think so no, it's the earlier 1.6 naturally aspirated  diesel from a mk2 fiesta / mk3 escort you need. Certainly they are what I have in my 2.2 pinto. 

Oh and low buck 2.2? Sorry no. There's quite a bit of machining work to rods, block and crank to go 2.2. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.8 will definately not work.

Pic below I've just taken are the rods you need. 

Most expensive bit of the build are the pistons. 

To build a Pinto to 2.2 you need to do the following: 
Bore block to 93mm (no problem with 205 or 202 blocks). Offset grind crankshaft throw taking stroke up to 80mm. This is possible by reducing big end journal size down to that of 1600 diesel escort or fiesta rods (see pic). 

1600 diesel rods = S84FM
Bearing = AE B4635 (CBS 41306AL Clevite)
Piston Burtons : Accralite forged piston at 93mm: Ford Cosworth YB 38mm compression height - SC302/93

IMG_20200319_121637_compress34.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, dt36 said:

1.8 will definately not work.

Pic below I've just taken are the rods you need. 

Most expensive bit of the build are the pistons. 

To build a Pinto to 2.2 you need to do the following: 
Bore block to 93mm (no problem with 205 or 202 blocks). Offset grind crankshaft throw taking stroke up to 80mm. This is possible by reducing big end journal size down to that of 1600 diesel escort or fiesta rods (see pic). 

1600 diesel rods = S84FM
Bearing = AE B4635 (CBS 41306AL Clevite)
Piston Burtons : Accralite forged piston at 93mm: Ford Cosworth YB 38mm compression height - SC302/93

IMG_20200319_121637_compress34.jpg

Those are some nice looking rods. They make the standard Pinto ones look positively spindly!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oh ok, 1.6 conrods, where did I get 1.8 from, doh, yes I was thinking the pistons to be the expensive part, lookin to go the forged route as i'll be running nitrous through it, and weve already roasted one set of cast pistons 😲

need to dig my spare crank out to measure the journals aswell when I get a minute

cheers for the replys guys

more soon

🙂

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that's a nice bit of kit, but not in my budget right now, plan is a bit at a time as funds allow

Cheers dude 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, BROWNY 1968 said:

that's a nice bit of kit, but not in my budget right now, plan is a bit at a time as funds allow

Cheers dude 👍

Bloody hell browny I did not see it was you that posted this lol, how you doing man king time no see you will have to get yourself down to the halfway house meet when it’s back on geezer, I just hope I recognise you it’s been years

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah all good here mate, hope you are too ? its been a while, think it was one of the eagle meets we last spoke, will get up to the halfway house when its on again 😉

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/04/2020 at 22:17, BROWNY 1968 said:

yeah all good here mate, hope you are too ? its been a while, think it was one of the eagle meets we last spoke, will get up to the halfway house when its on again 😉

cheers

Ya it probably was Matt black minibus aka Paul says hello, i’m All good mate 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

have u got any idea the cost of offset grinding a crank, rumour has it, its very costly, tell paul I said hello back 👋

cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, BROWNY 1968 said:

have u got any idea the cost of offset grinding a crank, rumour has it, its very costly, tell paul I said hello back 👋

cheers

I had it done on mine in about 2006, I think I have the invoice somewhere but I don't remember it being that substantial. Grinding a crank is grinding a crank, the offset is achieved by altering the set up in the machine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Vista said:

Grinding a crank is grinding a crank, the offset is achieved by altering the set up in the machine.

Depends on finding suitable rods with a smaller big end - otherwise you have to build up the journal with weld, then offset turning and grinding so a little more involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, katana said:

Depends on finding suitable rods with a smaller big end - otherwise you have to build up the journal with weld, then offset turning and grinding so a little more involved.

I'm basing my response on use of 1.6D rods, which from memory have the same size big end as a x-flow and are therefore smaller than a pinto, work is then limited to just offset grinding the crank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a hundred percent if you initially need a standard crank to start off with. I have two here, as I aim to get an offset grind done in the future. One is standard and the other is on its first grind. Out of these, one will do the job and I was hoping it could be the one already ground.

This is the other info I have written down to do the work:

To build a Pinto to 2.2 you need to do the following: 

Bore block to 93mm (no major problem with 205 or 202 blocks). Offset grind crankshaft throw taking stroke up to 80mm. This is possible by reducing big end journal size down to that of 1600 diesel escort or fiesta rods.

1600 diesel rods also have to be modified by reduction in width to suit piston at the little end and the narrower 2.0 Pinto journal at the big end. It would also be advisable to have them balanced end over at at this point.

1600 diesel rods = S84FM
Bearing = AE B4635 (CBS 41306AL Clevite)
Piston Burtons : Accralite forged piston at 93mm: Ford Cosworth YB 38mm compression height - SC302/93

Pistons will need machine off the crown, flush to deck as you now have a longer stroke and they will likely protrude out of the top of the block.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, notenoughtime said:

I’m 99% sure it has to be a std journal to start with 

i'm also 99% it needs to be standard size journals too

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Logic says if its 10 thou under, then at worst, you'll lose 10 thou off the stroke - may not be ideal but not the end of the world - that's next week!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 23/04/2020 at 09:19, BROWNY 1968 said:

have u got any idea the cost of offset grinding a crank, rumour has it, its very costly, tell paul I said hello back 👋

cheers

Just waiting to hear back from ike

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had a looky at my crankshaft today, journal measurement was 52mm, so hopefully that is good for an offset grind,

Need to find a set of rods next

😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...