Lockdown MOT.

deltamal

The MOT is due on my daily driver, I checked the .gov status and it says due in October, they have added the 6 months on but I'm sure that the insurance company's would use this as a 'get out of jail free' card not to pay out is there was a serious accident, so its booked in anyway to be done on Thursday, perhaps I'm too distrusting? :think::-)

3 hours ago, Vista said:

I would have thought the only place they can check the MOT status is the same government website Joe public can? If it says it's in date then it's in date and your insurer can't overrule the government just because it may suit them......unless your car is unsafe. 

Probably right, shouldent be any problems with mine as its only done 14,700 in 7 years and no advisories last year, I still dont trust them though!

4 hours ago, Vista said:

I would have thought the only place they can check the MOT status is the same government website Joe public can? If it says it's in date then it's in date and your insurer can't overrule the government just because it may suit them......unless your car is unsafe. 

I think you will find they don't use a public website for these checks but are directly linked to the system. Both Insurers and our equivalent of MOT testers are computer linked to our Roads and Traffic Authority. You dont even need to present their hard copy certificates to them any more as their conformation are automatically sent the moment its is paid for at the MOT station or Insurer. If a grace extension has been granted under the current crisis the insurance company was instantly alerted and have to honour that. I think you are all good and the grace extension was pretty fair under the circumstances. Here you still have to get MOTs done regardless of the crisis but its considered an essential reason to travel during the lockdown so there are no restrictions in getting it done.

• 3 months later...