Sign in to follow this  
Rally Pack 2000

Trim Clips

Im trying to find some trim clips to attach a trim panel that insulates the cabin from the boot and sits behind the rear seat.

I was looking for a form of plastic male/female book binding screws preferably in black. I can see pictures of them around but now real sellers I have access too. Thanks

BindingScrew.thumb.jpg.a7575280dcc3a87b21dabc1efabada50.jpg

My replacement boot partition. with a black textured vinyl on the boot side to make it look original and Dynaliner on the other side to reduce cabin noise. The cardboard originals dont last all that well so it was time to replace it.

DynalinerS.jpg.adce3ef34d4e31fe533066c708884f0c.jpg

Still looking for a creative way to fill those 80s speaker cutouts?

6 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Im trying to find some trim clips to attach a trim panel that insulates the cabin from the boot and sits behind the rear seat.

I was looking for a form of plastic male/female book binding screws preferably in black. I can see pictures of them around but now real sellers I have access too. Thanks

BindingScrew.thumb.jpg.a7575280dcc3a87b21dabc1efabada50.jpg

Use the search term "Chicago Screws". 

If you can't get any on that, look on e.bay for a UK buyer and I'll get them for you. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, dt36 said:

Use the search term "Chicago Screws". 

If you can't get any on that, look on e.bay for a UK buyer and I'll get them for you. 

Thats the sort of tip im looking for as I didnt know what you would call them! I only seen them in small metal form for book binding but I need much bigger. Thanks

6 minutes ago, dt36 said:

I just put Dodo Matting on my back shelf which also covered the speaker holes. This was thin enough to then put my shelf liner back over the top. 

I have a replacement shelf without holes as well but was just looking our for something to fill them up so it doesnt look as bad when you look inside the boot. I will have dynaliner on the underside of the shelf as well but its grey with wording and may be a bit noticeable.

You can get adhesive bitumin type sound panels which won’t look out of place under the shelf. Cut into small squares would just look like std soundproofing.

5 minutes ago, colr6 said:

You can get adhesive bitumin type sound panels which won’t look out of place under the shelf. Cut into small squares would just look like std soundproofing.

I used the Dynamat version of that bitumen stuff on my floors and doors actually. With this panel I used another of their products called dynaliner which is sound proofing as well but its like 10mm thick of spongy foam with an adhesive side. I will also stick it on the underside of the shelf as well. Its quite expensive like a hundred dollars for a few meters. What happened was I bought it to replace the matting on the roof when I changed the headliner. When he took it off the original matting underneath was in such pristine condition that he didnt want to fit the new dynaliner stuff which I agreed with but having spent my money I had a roll to use up and this partition and the shelf seemed perfect for it. It comes in 5mm and 10mm thicknesses.

Im getting heaps of searching under the Chicago Screw tag but they seem to have no more than 10mm wide heads. I really need a bit bigger than that maybe 15 or 20mm?

11 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Why not use washers under the head?

I have some rubber washers here that look like they might do the job. 

Colour is blue, but they'll be out of sight anyway. I also have various large metal ones with a small inside diameter. 

IMG_20200523_125554_compress42.jpg

• Thanks 1

try B&Q for the screw, the ones in there similar to those above, but the stud is steel and the rest is white plastic, they are made for holding 2 or more kitchen cabinets together so they don't go out of line, not 100% sure of the head size, but I will look in a bit,

re parcel shelf, if that was me, I too couldn't live with that, I would have to get it welded up properly and painted so you never knew the hole was there

4 hours ago, dt36 said:

Why not use washers under the head?

I have some rubber washers here that look like they might do the job. 

Colour is blue, but they'll be out of sight anyway. I also have various large metal ones with a small inside diameter. 

IMG_20200523_125554_compress42.jpg

That is an option if I cant find any with a wide enough head. My reasoning is that I wanted it to look like flat smooth trim clips not bolts and washers. They would need to be black nylon if I went down that route which is easy enough to find.

The original panel was mounted by tabs on the inner rear bulkhead however one flex upwards to remove the panel and off they broke. One had even broken off on its own over the years. Between them and the cardboard panel itself I dont think Ford ever envisaged them to last as long as they have. With the tabs gone It leaves a reasonable size tear-drop shaped hole hence the need for the wide head. I was just trying to make it look as standard as possible. The shelf panel itself has large headed flat plastic screws that hold it down and that's what gave me the idea to look for plastic ones similarly shaped but slightly smaller in diameter so that it all appeared of the same factory design.

How big are the heads on the screws ? Just thinking along the lines of the type of screw they use on the plastic inner wheels arch used on modern cars. Vauxhall Astra springs to mind 🤭

1 minute ago, colr6 said:

How big are the heads on the screws ? Just thinking along the lines of the type of screw they use on the plastic inner wheels arch used on modern cars. Vauxhall Astra springs to mind 🤭

Most seem to be 10mm but thats almost the size of one direction of the teardrop hole, so 15 to 20mm would be great.

25 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Most seem to be 10mm but thats almost the size of one direction of the teardrop hole, so 15 to 20mm would be great.

This was the type I was thinking about, available in various sizes

49B92EEF-9A9B-463C-98BE-DD778800AF15.jpegKnown as push rivets panel and trim

• Like 1

22 hours ago, colr6 said:

This was the type I was thinking about, available in various sizes

49B92EEF-9A9B-463C-98BE-DD778800AF15.jpegKnown as push rivets panel and trim

I have a bag of those here, Col. They're good and very strong. Totally forgot about them and just found them in a tray in my bench draw. 

James, these have 22mm heads and a 12mm rivet spread. 

Got them on eBay, but I can post these if you want them. 

IMG_20200524_111006_compress20.jpg

15 hours ago, dt36 said:

I have a bag of those here, Col. They're good and very strong. Totally forgot about them and just found them in a tray in my bench draw. 

James, these have 22mm heads and a 12mm rivet spread. 

Got them on eBay, but I can post these if you want them. 

IMG_20200524_111006_compress20.jpg

Do they spread open when you tap the head down?

2 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Do they spread open when you tap the head down?

Yes, it's basically a re-usable plastic Rivet. You can push the head down with your thumb. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, dt36 said:

Yes, it's basically a re-usable plastic Rivet. You can push the head down with your thumb. 

That's interesting. If I pushed it in from the boot side you wouldn't see the expanded prongs of the clip and on the visible side you would have a neat head. I would just have to be sure that the rear seat doesn't butt up at that point. It would need to go into an open part of the seat. What are the dimensions of those things?

What is the partition arrangement with UK Cars? On my Twincam its a solid panel and the Mk2 it has a criss-cross beam for strengthening and a flimsy panel to hide seeing the internals of the seat

3 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

What is the partition arrangement with UK Cars? On my Twincam its a solid panel and the Mk2 it has a criss-cross beam for strengthening and a flimsy panel to hide seeing the internals of the seat

Sorry, can't help you with that. My Mk2 has had a metal firewall welded in place of the cardboard panel. I'm assuming this was not standard when the car was new. 

Just a thought, why don't you Mastic it in?

9 hours ago, dt36 said:

Sorry, can't help you with that. My Mk2 has had a metal firewall welded in place of the cardboard panel. I'm assuming this was not standard when the car was new. 

Just a thought, why don't you Mastic it in?

I was mainly just curious about the variations. I saw a pic once that didnt have any supports at all. The new panel has already been made with textured vinyl on one side and dylaliner sound proofing on the other and the fibre seals around the wheel arches from the original have been removed from it and replaced on the new one. So its all set to go with holes matching the original. There are matching holes where the original clips once were so no need to permanently bond it in when factory looking clips should do the job..