Brownys mk2 resto

9 hours ago, BROWNY 1968 said:

so tonight is the first chance weve had to fit the new luminition, we also fitted a new battery, and the brand new borrowed (now bought) alternator, another thing we thought about was the earth point in the boot which i had removed and refitted recently when i did the painting inside the boot floor and underneath. quick removal of said bolt and a buzz up with the belt sander underneath and refitted with spider washers on both sides.

it fired up no problem, but still showing the charge light and still not charging :banghead:

the only bit we had not changed or bypassed was the charge light itself, which was an led warning light, swopped it out for a 501 capless bulb in an indicator holder and hey presto the bloody light goes out and its charging, really, ffs 🙄

more soon 

😵

Do you think the earth point and led where the problem all along? 

I don’t think you could use LED for alternator light as they can only be wired one way,when alternator fires up it changes polarity from positive to negative,don’t think LED would let the earth through once triggered 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, BROWNY 1968 said:

the only bit we had not changed or bypassed was the charge light itself, which was an led warning light, swopped it out for a 501 capless bulb in an indicator holder and hey presto the bloody light goes out and its charging, really, ffs

Lesson for all - LED's cannot be used for alt. / charging warnings due to the way they work. These lights need to pass voltage both directions - firstly from ign sw. through bulb to alternator and ground, secondly volts from alternator flow back the other way and cancel out the voltage from the ign. sw. LED's will only pass voltage one way - a property of all diodes.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

21 hours ago, BROWNY 1968 said:

This is what you get in the basic kit, then you need a fitting kit for what ever make of dizzy your fitting it too. The 2nd pic shows the gold coloured bit in the dizzy 😉

Hope it makes sense 👍

20210429_190934.jpg

20210429_193516.jpg

Tidy kit that’s what is on my RS2000

• Like 2

14 hours ago, notenoughtime said:

Do you think the earth point and led where the problem all along? 

earth point didnt make any difference, only the charge light, funny thing is, that led has been in there for at least 2 race seasons working fine :crazy:

You couldn't make it up!!!
As Katana mentions above, I was always told you couldn't use an led for the alt light. Strange that it worked for you for 2 years!!??

Sent from my Hammer_Energy_18x9 using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, Monza said:

You couldn't make it up!!! emoji848.pngemoji1751.png
As Katana mentions above, I was always told you couldn't use an led for the alt light. Strange that it worked for you for 2 years!!?? emoji1745.png

Sent from my Hammer_Energy_18x9 using Tapatalk

yep, definatly a weird one, we tested the led for ohms resistance and was crazy high, its now in the bin 😁

• Like 1

so weve been back on it today, had a few wires to tidy up and put the dash back together which Jack did while i was tidying the wires in the engine bay, then played about with the seat position, then we started it up again to make sure we were still all good, 👍

Then we checked the fuel and nitrous solenoids, all good and the nitrous fuel pump, which i did have apart to fit a new fuel filter inside, just need to get the slick tyres swopped over from the minilights and need to make a couple of simple brackets to mount the light board to the back of the car  :nitrous:

looks like were ready for the 7th june

cheers for your help Jack

more soon

🙂

• Like 1

We managed to sort out what tyres to run on tonight, pirelli slicks 200 wide and a bit taller than the old Michelin's which were a bit old and hard. 

Hope my stock halfshaft's can handle these 😲😁

20210505_193536.jpg

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

So weve been a bit busy lately, spent today loading up and checking the last few bits ready for monday at the pod, a couple of pics with the a frame on and the brake applicator fitted

You can just see the cable going through the window and across the corner of the bonnet

More soon 😉

20210605_162922.jpg

20210605_162947.jpg

• Like 3

So we managed 7 runs yesterday before we had valve train issues, couple of shake down passes first as it had been in pieces,  then with the nitrous on with the smallest jets, the quickest run was a 14.7 @ 92mph, my new gripper is the nuts, and my 4 speed type 9  is fantastic,  thanks to Chris at bgh for that, also a big thankyou to my family pit crew for all the help leading up to the day and on the day aswell, was a brilliant day

Cheers

😁

20210607_164617.jpg

• Like 2
  • Love 3

Yeah, its a big effort to go racing now, was much easier when it was 25 mins up the road (north weald) had some issues with it for a while, we think its valve seat recession, it either tightens up or loosens off the valve clearances, monday we had 2 loosen off on the 7th run, and the followers have chewed the tops of the valve caps up, so we decided to call it a day 😕

Never seen 'seat recession' occur so quickly - actual seat movement maybe but that's through poor installation or defects + seat recession will always tighten gaps not loosen them. I'd possibly looking at valve train geometry or spring binding?

So we got a couple of ballstuds that are crossthreaded 😕 so weve ordered a new set, there not the longer ones either, so we got the longer ones coming from burtons, with a new set of valve caps and some new collets, dunno if were gonna pull the head off, as we have a tool to change the bits wiyh the head on 😁

Oh yeah and this came in the post today 😁 long time since i got a trophy for anything motorsport related 😎

More soon

Cheers

20210614_172150.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 08/06/2021 at 08:54, BROWNY 1968 said:

So we managed 7 runs yesterday before we had valve train issues, couple of shake down passes first as it had been in pieces,  then with the nitrous on with the smallest jets, the quickest run was a 14.7 @ 92mph, my new gripper is the nuts, and my 4 speed type 9  is fantastic,  thanks to Chris at bgh for that, also a big thankyou to my family pit crew for all the help leading up to the day and on the day aswell, was a brilliant day

Cheers

😁

20210607_164617.jpg

Wicked to see the old van mate, and top job on getting it all done so you can run it

• 2 weeks later...

so just a bit of an update, my bits i ordered from burtons have arrived, minus the ball stud lock nuts 🙁 so pretty pointless pulling it apart yet, i have found some nuts on ebay that might do the job as  when i rung burtons to find  out how long they might be, they have been on back order with there supplier since april 🙄

oh yeah and i been busy with the van fitting a leccy fuel pump and collecting a new rebuilt diff which i hope to fit this weekend 🙂

plan to do another test day in august, might chuck some bigger nitrous jets in, as we were really struggling to get it of the line, or maybe run on road tyres, and the rear brakes were groaning a bit so need to look at those, might have to skim a bit off the discs, and also trying to get another 6" rs alloy to go with the one i aalready have so we can run skinnys on the front

more soon

🙂

• Like 1