A few pics to start you off with a mk1 Nimbus Camper with a few mods large tunnel and Mex wings already, think plans are going to be a 2.2 pinto, FR32 cam decent head  on some idf’s or 45 throttle bodies, lotus rims or banded steels or maybe some mk1 4 spokes

9 minutes ago, dt36 said:

I like the colour. 

Sounds like that's going to be a strong engine when it's done. 😁

Engine should be great, HPE quoted me £350 plus dreaded for offset grind but ctm £300, I have a very good head here but would like it looked over first 

yet to cost the price of facing the rod and think I need to buy forged pistons rather than the 2.8 ones as once your in your in if you know what I mean

31 minutes ago, notenoughtime said:

Engine should be great, HPE quoted me £350 plus dreaded for offset grind but ctm £300, I have a very good head here but would like it looked over first 

yet to cost the price of facing the rod and think I need to buy forged pistons rather than the 2.8 ones as once your in your in if you know what I mean

I think you're best going with those forged accralite YB pistons, plus you can use circlips with them. 

Totally agree though, once you're in... 

4 minutes ago, notenoughtime said:

Yes how good is that build

Guy really knows his stuff, but takes a lot of time in explaining what he does and why. 

I took a lot of advice from his builds when sorting my last Pinto.  

Would love to see a separate build thread of your engine. 😁

Edited by dt36

I’m in!! 

Im also ‘in’ building N/a cosworth lucky I’ve found out it has been n/a ported already

ive bought the 12-1 wossner’s

h beams

need to sort the crank and buy some L1 cams which should see 230bhp hopefully with the slide throttle bodies 

• Like 1

Today a parcel arrived with some 1600 diesel rods and a standard 2L crank thanks to Dale! burtons have pistons in stock but think I’ll get the crank offset ground first, along with making the rods 1mm thinner to fit the pinto crank 

unfortunately I forgot to take some pics I’ll add them tomorrow  

Edited by notenoughtime
  • Like 1
15 minutes ago, notenoughtime said:

1600 diesel rods 

47A2B6E0-767A-4ACC-B64E-EC37F42AA65B.thumb.jpeg.4c9a55f44bbbd9a0a5335170124d5dc2.jpeg

Standard journal crank, ready to go off to machine shop tomorrow 

9E4DFB9D-F63A-42C8-8B9C-A751F69B0FEC.thumb.jpeg.bed3874d3c7234a1add6dcd13203ee45.jpeg

Are you sending the crank pulley, flywheel and clutch for balancing the rotating mass at the same time? 

Could also dowel the flywheel too. Then you know all the bottom end is sorted, as this is going to be close on 200bhp with the right head. 

• Like 1
34 minutes ago, dt36 said:

Are you sending the crank pulley, flywheel and clutch for balancing the rotating mass at the same time? 

Could also dowel the flywheel too. Then you know all the bottom end is sorted, as this is going to be close on 200bhp with the right head. 

Yes flywheel, crank pulley, clutch will be done at same time also will dowel the flywheel

ive got a spare sump RS sump that I’m going to big wing also

I’ll measure the head and get the compression worked out to what I need which should be 10.5/1 I’ve been told and make sure Head is fully port matched 

• Love 1
32 minutes ago, notenoughtime said:

Yes flywheel, crank pulley, clutch will be done at same time also will dowel the flywheel

ive got a spare sump RS sump that I’m going to big wing also

I’ll measure the head and get the compression worked out to what I need which should be 10.5/1 I’ve been told and make sure Head is fully port matched 

There's also a baffle gate you can get for a RS sump that prevents oil starvation during hard cornering. 

https://hpemotorsport.co.uk/shop/engineparts/rs2000-gated-sump-baffle/

I am so following this build, as this is going to be strong... 😁

1 hour ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Those diesel rods look nice. I am unfamiliar with them though. Can you tell me more on the benefits of using them and if any modifications are needed to fit them?

A quick idea of what’s needed

you can do either

1 regrind the crank journal down by 3mm to keep the standard stroke 77mm stroke 

2 offset grind the crank by 3 mm giving you a stroke of approx 80mm then use 93mm 2.8 position or the better forged 93mm piston giving you 2178cc

longer stroke give way better torque figures 

removed the balance weights from both ends of rod and this rod can handle 8000rpm 

there is a build on the internet ‘pete 2.2 pinto’ and is worth a read 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
12 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Those diesel rods look nice. I am unfamiliar with them though. Can you tell me more on the benefits of using them and if any modifications are needed to fit them?

Offset grind the crank to increase the stroke and you have a very strong set of rods for a 2.2 pinto by boring it out at the same time. It's the set up I have in my RS.

Holy thread bump batman: 

2007 2.2 Pinto Build

• Like 2
On 25/11/2020 at 18:45, Vista said:

Offset grind the crank to increase the stroke and you have a very strong set of rods for a 2.2 pinto by boring it out at the same time. It's the set up I have in my RS.

Holy thread bump batman: 

2007 2.2 Pinto Build

Thanks for that link

93mm Accrillite sc302 pistons ordered today 

Edited by notenoughtime
  • Like 1