Black plates

Ray

I have to say that I'll be getting some new number plates made for the Estate and they'll be white/yellow as that's what it would have had on in 1975. I don't really see the attraction of the black/silver plates for a car that wouldn't have had them at the time and I'm not a purist by any means. I'd have thought that anyone who was into showing their car as a period vehicle would have wanted it correct.

I remember when I got my first car, a 1960 Austin Healey Sprite mk1, when I was 18 I wacked white and yellow plates on it straight away, as they'd just become legal and everyone wanted them. As they were made a legal requirement in 1973 for new vehicles my current 1975 machine would definitely have had them. In fact I think my Mk1 Mexico (1972 on an L reg) had them when I bought it in 1975, the photo I have of it definitely shows it with them.

All a matter of personal choice I suppose.....

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Mash said:

I have to say that I'll be getting some new number plates made for the Estate and they'll be white/yellow as that's what it would have had on in 1975. I don't really see the attraction of the black/silver plates for a car that wouldn't have had them at the time and I'm not a purist by any means. I'd have thought that anyone who was into showing their car as a period vehicle would have wanted it correct.

I remember when I got my first car, a 1960 Austin Healey Sprite mk1, when I was 18 I wacked white and yellow plates on it straight away, as they'd just become legal and everyone wanted them. As they were made a legal requirement in 1973 for new vehicles my current 1975 machine would definitely have had them. In fact I think my Mk1 Mexico (1972 on an L reg) had them when I bought it in 1975, the photo I have of it definitely shows it with them.

All a matter of personal choice I suppose.....

I’m the same, I’m not a purist, but that’s one thing I don’t like. The MK2 looks far better with the white/yellow

• Like 1

On 11/01/2021 at 21:00, katana said:

Maybe with some body colours, i'd agree but with others the yellow just clashes. Mine is Riviera and yellow looks pants but black blends nicely.

Yeah, definitely suits some colours better than others. The black mk2 RS2K's, the black and silver really suits them I think. Other colours, of all cars, less so though. only my opinion obviously....😁

• Vista changed the title to Black plates