Installing a ST170 engine.

On 26/04/2021 at 20:12, katana said:

Not quite, but if the ground is green they run horses round & round or hit little balls into holes with sticks! Did my learning on 2 wheels.

I starting my driving on 4 wheels (tractor), then went to 2 wheels, (suzuki 125), then 3 wheels (Honda 185 trike) before moving into cars. I did ride a SV650 for 14 years as well.

Waiting on a few parts to arrive now for the cooling system then I hope to get stuck in a see if we can get the engine firing before the end of May. My mate made a start on the stainless steel exhaust but his TIG welder packed in so that needs sorting before we can finish that. The throttle body kit and ECU arrived so did a test fit and it looks great! 

IMG-20210429-WA0003.jpg

IMG-20210429-WA0005.jpg

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• 3 weeks later...

I certainly hope they look as good for real as they do in the photos! They need a couple of the adjustment knobs fitted and runners but I'm hoping I can get the runners on the current seats to fit 🤞

• 1 month later...

So real life got in the way of this install and didn't get much done during May and biggest end of June. Last week managed to get the exhaust manifold properly fitted and the custom exhaust is now built up until the axle. Just the bends around the axle to make then attach the nice oval stainless steel box I picked up. Coolant system was also custom made with stainless steel pipes so finishing part of that will be the 'T' join to put the bottom heater box hose into it to complete the circuit. Hoping to have a further update in 2 weeks.

20210702_144816.jpg

20210702_144822.jpg

• Like 2

Now these posts have piqued my interest, as I am just getting all the bits together to ST170 my Classic315, I must admit Im finding it hard to determine the right ITBs for this engine, running Emerald, and the VVT, decent exhaust manifold.... 

33 minutes ago, V8ian said:

Now these posts have piqued my interest, as I am just getting all the bits together to ST170 my Classic315, I must admit Im finding it hard to determine the right ITBs for this engine, running Emerald, and the VVT, decent exhaust manifold.... 

Ian, I've went down the Dan ST engineering route for the throttle bodies. They are from a kawasaki zx9r I believe and are 45mm running on 300cc injectors. They come with the manifold and full fitting kit for around £695. Other people run ZX6R throttle bodies which are 40mm. Getting the manifold to mount the throttle bodies is the big expense. The exhaust manifold is from retro Ford and is their cheaper version which, I think, is a copy. Its 4 into 1 and is 2.5". I'm running the ME 221 engine management system which will.control the VVT and I've also mounted a vernier pulley on the exhaust cam.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...