Post Brexit Import Duties

Rally Pack 2000

Bound to be! Boris says there won't be, so that means everyone bend over and prepare to be rogered! I just love the naivety of the Government expecting a foreign company to charge a VAT amount - that could be different to their own countries duty - keep it separate to their own VAT receipts and then pay it to the UK HMRC every 3 months! Even most of us don't understand the 'import duty' that used to be added by the PO on goods from outside the EU and I think it was 9%. What pisses me off is the tax on a tax applied, say, £100 item + p&p £10 then add 9% ID, so another £9.90, then you get hit with VAT @20% on that lot = £23.98 which then now totals £143.88 ! Sound like a rip off ? ?

No wonder no one in the EU wants to send anything to the UK - why the EU can't be treated the same as the rest of the world and VAT paid by the importer or the PO / Courier Co. when it gets here! Ah, I know why - COS THAT'S THE BLOODY SENSIBLE WAY OF DOING IT!

39 minutes ago, katana said:

Bound to be! Boris says there won't be, so that means everyone bend over and prepare to be rogered! I just love the naivety of the Government expecting a foreign company to charge a VAT amount - that could be different to their own countries duty - keep it separate to their own VAT receipts and then pay it to the UK HMRC every 3 months! Even most of us don't understand the 'import duty' that used to be added by the PO on goods from outside the EU and I think it was 9%. What pisses me off is the tax on a tax applied, say, £100 item + p&p £10 then add 9% ID, so another £9.90, then you get hit with VAT @20% on that lot = £23.98 which then now totals £143.88 ! Sound like a rip off ? ?

No wonder no one in the EU wants to send anything to the UK - why the EU can't be treated the same as the rest of the world and VAT paid by the importer or the PO / Courier Co. when it gets here! Ah, I know why - COS THAT'S THE BLOODY SENSIBLE WAY OF DOING IT!

can we assume it was Boris that took the jam out of your doughnut then lol

6 minutes ago, Ray said:

can we assume it was Boris that took the jam out of your doughnut then lol

Turkish: You took the f#####g  jam outta my doughnut, Tommy. You did. 

This film should be taught in English literature in schools instead of Shakespeare. Oh and Twin Town and This is England as well. Mustn't forgot those either 😁

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, notenoughtime said:

A friend of mine recently ordered something from turkey and was charged £48 import charge the item was £12

he has argued the case and they refunded him 

That's a worry then. I wouldn't want to order a couple of badges through the UK to save postage costs only to cop even worse taxes at the border.

I just read Martin Lewis's (Money Saving Expert's) take on this and i'm more confused than ever! Why its so complicated is beyond me! If you are an oversea's national, come here and buy something you pay vat at point of purchase, keep your receipts and you can claim the vat back when you leave the UK, so why is the EU charging vat when vat will be levied in the UK (supposedly on the import duty and delivery charges but not the couriers 'overheads') Just charge us zero rate vat, include delivery charges and then charge the vat when it gets here - we know that we'll be bent over a chair but at least it won't be a surprise! And it'll stop the 'courier overheads' bollux - the seller has already been paid to deliver the sodding thing so there shouldn't be any extra's. And the 'Gift' - £39 - £138, is another joke - send something s/hand as a gift, attach a value and it'll get hit with import duty, vat and courier tax - NOTHING is free anymore! I was used to the modest charges for stuff from the USA but it now seems everyone is using Brexit to get their noses in the trough for a good nosebag and expect us to just take it! Simple answer don't buy shit from Europe - force retailers to buy Britsh or they pay the shitty duties and sell at advertised 'all in' prices! This boils my piss - it really does! :banghead:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Vista said:

For you ordering from the UK for delivery to Australia, things shouldn't have changed.

No its a case that I have to buy a couple of Badges from Turkey but that postage price they want to send to me in Australia is three times the cost of the badges themselves so I was going to get them sent to someone in the UK to send them on but I wont do that if there are extra charges imposed when they get there.  I don't need them directly it was to finish a review thread I started months ago about the different Ford badges. I wont pay the Turks outlandish postal costs but they seem to be more favourable to the UK but that would be all for nothing if in the end there are more import charges added at the border.

Funny turn around of events. The prices for these badges in Turkey are now more expensive to buy from the UK than they are here. So too the postage is now cheaper to get here than to send to the UK. I researched these before Brexit and it was only a few pounds to send to the UK whereas 32 pounds for one badge to send here and more for the second badge if you wanted a pair. Now you can actually see the prices alter when you change your destination to the UK. It seems VAT is being collected through Ebay in the UK like they do in Australia and also apply it to postage charges. Its just our GST is 10% where as your VAT is 20% so ultimately its cheaper to buy and post to here now. The odd thing though is now that the postage charges to here are now aligned with the EUs so while high for tiny badges is nowhere near what it was before.

So they are on their way before they changed their minds again! Sad though you guys look to be having sizable extra taxes added to your Ebay purchase it seems. Whats really odd about this is that Turkey isnt in the EU anyways so why is an extra 20% being added to purchases that I know wasn't there before? Seems sneakily like a Brexit Tax to me.