Garage Heaters

DT36

What are you using to heat your garages while working in there?

Not looking for commercial monsters or gas fired torpedoes, just general sane things that won't smash my electric bill to bits. 

Been looking on Screwfix and leaning towards walk mounted units around the £100 ballpark. 

Currently, I'm using a small portable electric fan heater, but it's pants. I have to go back in the house after about 30 mins as my hands are getting numb. Admittedly, it's minus degrees outside at the moment though. 

What you got? 

unless your well insulated and draft excluded, along the same lines as your house is, then your going to smash your electric, no ifs or buts, youll be heating the outside world

and garage doors are like my roller shutter, virtually impossible to seal, as theyre not designed to be

• Like 1

I’ve got a nice little log burner in mine, 8kw. Makes my garage a workable temperature. Under drawn ceiling and insulated roller door. It’s the the difference when you Smack your finger of that hurts and fooking hell I’m going to cry ...lol

Edited by colr6
  • Like 3

Put a couple of rads in mine....run off my combi in the house. Insulated roller shutter and insulated the attic. Need to open the window when spannering cos it gets pretty warm in there!! 321104fbc129aa8cd17bd6f4a8e99202.jpg

Sent from my Hammer_Energy_18x9 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

What about one of these diesel blow heaters mate.

I've been thinking about getting one of these for when my car comes back. Not only for heat when working in there, but to keep moisture at bay.

A friend of mine lives in a static caravan, and has this type of blow heater in and it's really quite economical, and is really warm. You can set the timer to what you want. There's no smell of diesel, and you can use old oil in them too I'm told.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-5000W-Air-Diesel-Heater-LCD-Display-Display-2KW-5KW-for-Car-Truck-Motor-Home/153147548894?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3D1085d39826fe492bae75ee71e870577c%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D4%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D154302427196%26itm%3D153147548894%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D1%26pg%3D2380057%26brand%3DmaXpeedingrods&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3Ab9efb55d-628c-11eb-82c2-d68d0fffdc47|parentrq%3A508de2a01770a69d566e7b63fffe5eec|iid%3A1

Edited by Fozzy48
  • Like 2

I fitted a similar used Webasco to a Landrover 90 recently for a friend. Was a bit of a pain to initially set up as it turned out to have a duff controller. In fairness though, after replacing that it really thumps out the heat. I think it came out of a BT van. 

Funny you mention moisture, I use those small plastic moisture catchers you can buy in supermarkets. I keep one sitting in the car by the gearlever when my car is in the garage. I actually swapped it out last night for a new one as it had about 1" of water sat in it. 

It's surprising how much they catch, even though my garage is dry and has my fan heater switched on every day in the winter for a short period while I'm riding my static bike. I also have another moisture catcher sat in the garage on a shelf. 

Speaking with my brother who does plumbing and electrical work, I'm going to try a wall mounted/oil filled electric radiator. The reasoning behind this is to give it a trial run for fitting to my new garage that's still in the process of being built and is probably going to have underfloor heating with these rads in some of the rooms. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Fozzy48 said:

What about one of these diesel blow heaters mate.

I've been thinking about getting one of these for when my car comes back. Not only for heat when working in there, but to keep moisture at bay.

The combustion of any Hydrocarbon fuel results in water vapour so using diesel or parrafin won't help with keeping 'moisture at bay' Plus use in a uninsulated space will ensure that the warm air (that will be carrying more water vapour because its warm) will condense on anything cold or at ambient temperature so dripping everywhere or causing streaming condensation!

• Like 2

Thanks for that bud, but, the moisture can't be any worse than what's in there ATM. Last summer I put new box section metal roof sheets on, and the amount of moisture that sits on the underside in the garage is quite shocking.

I was going to put Tyvek on before the roof sheets, and can still do this by undoing the roof bolts into the joists this coming spring. But did think that one of those diesel heaters, set to come on for a bit each day would keep it nice and dry, but obviously not.

Cheers

Fozzy

• 2 weeks later...

My other half has this in his garage.  It's REALLY good and heats very well.   He also is able to run it on red diesel which is much cheaper.   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-5KW-4-Holes-Air-Diesel-Night-Heater-LCD-Monitor-Remote-Trucks-Boats-Car-home/254790054391?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&fbclid=IwAR2KDTkcTC8kkjvbt7m3h5-F1Yk3gWlLMcS_zxBLKd8d4a4oL1UusMuT_iY

He uses a car battery hooked up to a trickle charger to power the heater (other option is to buy a mains to 12V power supply that can do about 20 amps which then becomes expensive).

Big enough to heat the garage of this size:

Garage heater.jpg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mk2Jo said:

My other half has this in his garage.  It's REALLY good and heats very well.   He also is able to run it on red diesel which is much cheaper.   https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-5KW-4-Holes-Air-Diesel-Night-Heater-LCD-Monitor-Remote-Trucks-Boats-Car-home/254790054391?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&fbclid=IwAR2KDTkcTC8kkjvbt7m3h5-F1Yk3gWlLMcS_zxBLKd8d4a4oL1UusMuT_iY

He uses a car battery hooked up to a trickle charger to power the heater (other option is to buy a mains to 12V power supply that can do about 20 amps which then becomes expensive).

Big enough to heat the garage of this size:

That looks decent. 👍

It was bitter in there at lunchtime and was about - 1°c outside. I've tried an electric wall rad, but it's not up to it. 

I was in there building a push bike and took ages for my feet to warm back up. 

Just switched a fan and the rad back on now to go back in there and finish it off soon. Not a chance I'm going to take it up the road though when it's finished as it looks even colder out now and not a cloud in the sky. 🥶

• Like 1

No hope for me, my workshop is an old pig shed, really big, tin roof which leaks so I have traps strung underneath it to direct the water off the 'car. It's also got loads of open areas around the tops of the walls, so it's pretty drafty. Haven't even bothered trying t work out there for the last two days, which is a double hit cause I'm buying even more stuff for the car while I'm sat here 😁

• Haha 3