Petrol/Octane V Power - ESSO Synergy Supreme+ 99?

BaileyMex

My wife's ex brother in law was a tanker driver for a firm called Hoyer . He told me he used to fill up and deliver the same stuff to each garage on his round . I think he said different companies added there own additives etc to the fuel  . This was 10-15 years ago though .

On 29/04/2021 at 20:06, D-FENS said:

My wife's ex brother in law was a tanker driver for a firm called Hoyer . He told me he used to fill up and deliver the same stuff to each garage on his round . I think he said different companies added there own additives etc to the fuel  . This was 10-15 years ago though .

I also heard that from a friend who was a tanker driver!    

I use super from Shell/Esso/Tesco or wherever else i can get it although have been told by my tuner (my other half :D) that I can just use normal 95ron ... prefer the super though (just in case). 

• Like 1

'Just in case' of what? Unless the engine is over compressed or the timing is too advanced there is no need for the increase in octane. Std. distributor ignition can't 'just' slip to need more. Its probably been tuned 'safe' to use the fuel you are likely to find on ANY forecourt - using the expensive stuff won't make any difference in fact it will burn slower so give slightly less power!

On 07/05/2021 at 10:33, katana said:

'Just in case' of what? Unless the engine is over compressed or the timing is too advanced there is no need for the increase in octane. Std. distributor ignition can't 'just' slip to need more. Its probably been tuned 'safe' to use the fuel you are likely to find on ANY forecourt - using the expensive stuff won't make any difference in fact it will burn slower so give slightly less power!

You're absolutely right. I think it's just in my head that it's safer rather than it being a power adder. The car is mapped for normal fuel.

Please don't get me wrong - it can be a power adder IF the engine specification or tune requires its use, otherwise it has no benefits, costs money and lowers power. People who swear otherwise are deluding themselves "but it runs smoother" - of course it does cos its making less power LOL!

A standard HC Pinto like that in an RS2000 wont run all that well on 95. They require at least a 97 or 98.

97 was specified by Ford in their manuals here for all HC Pinto engines and when leaded fuel was abolished the only replacement offered was 95 Lead Replacement Petrol. My car ran like a dog on that so much so that I thought at one point my engine was just on it way out. Then a lead free 98 was introduced I tried it and instantly the car ran well again, It was the fuel all along. Those that have been saying they get theirs to run on 95 would have had to have it tuned as such to accommodate it as a standard car without modification wont run smoothly on it. It worked on on low compression autos though.

59 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

A standard HC Pinto like that in an RS2000 wont run all that well on 95. They require at least a 97 or 98.

97 was specified by Ford in their manuals here for all HC Pinto engines and when leaded fuel was abolished the only replacement offered was 95 Lead Replacement Petrol. My car ran like a dog on that so much so that I thought at one point my engine was just on it way out. Then a lead free 98 was introduced I tried it and instantly the car ran well again, It was the fuel all along. Those that have been saying they get theirs to run on 95 would have had to have it tuned as such to accommodate it as a standard car without modification wont run smoothly on it. It worked on on low compression autos though.

It runs fine, trust me. Last on the rollers with just over 160bhp at the rear wheels. 

8 hours ago, Vista said:

It runs fine, trust me. Last on the rollers with just over 160bhp at the rear wheels. 

I have no doubt because you specifically had it turned to run on that stuff. Im referring to a standard car with no mods that unless they have it re-tuned like you have it wont run that crash hot and to re-tune a standard to run it would also sacrifice power which is preciously limited.

I was lead to believe that the super equivalents at forecourts had a better formula than standard fuel, not meaning the improved (or not) power, but just the make up of it was kinder to classic motors? That's the only reason I was using it?

The petrochemical companies don't give a stuff about classic cars - as they probably make up less than 1% of sales and i'm sure a lot of those only use about a tankful a year LOL!

The Super stuff is aimed at the high end cars that have 'intelegent adaptive engine management' that adapts to the fuel available by increasing timing until knock is sensed then backing it off so knock goes away then repeating the cycle continuously. Its how you get the best from a highly tuned engine and computers do it sooooo much better and faster than hoomans! Old Pinto's and Xflows probably needed 4* not so much for the octane but the lead which not only prevented knock, they probably would have run ok on 2* but supressed valve seat recession which is still a problem using super unleaded, unless the exh. seats are replaced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, katana said:

The petrochemical companies don't give a stuff about classic cars - as they probably make up less than 1% of sales and i'm sure a lot of those only use about a tankful a year LOL!

But they always need an old classic for their ads though. A Toyota Prius driving the the scenic hills doesn't give them that drivers cred!

4 hours ago, katana said:

The Super stuff is aimed at the high end cars that have 'intelegent adaptive engine management' that adapts to the fuel available by increasing timing until knock is sensed then backing it off so knock goes away then repeating the cycle continuously. Its how you get the best from a highly tuned engine and computers do it sooooo much better and faster than hoomans! Old Pinto's and Xflows probably needed 4* not so much for the octane but the lead which not only prevented knock, they probably would have run ok on 2* but supressed valve seat recession which is still a problem using super unleaded, unless the exh. seats are replaced.

Yup makes sense, so basically Ur saying my 50 year old carburettor isn't as good as a fancy computer? How rude 😂

• Haha 1