Paint stripper

colr6

Im going to try get some of this locally. I was having the same problem as Col its like the paint was impervious to paint stripper but I accidentally got some on my hands and naturally went to wash it off but by the time I got to the tap I noticed absolutely nothing! I waited and waited and still not the slightest burning sensation and knew at that point it was totally crap. It was like the environmentally friendly naturally sourced pesticide I bought that was gentle on insects. Its hard to find the toxic stuff of the good old days that actually worked!

1 hour ago, Johnny Boy said:

Is there a reason you want to use a paint stripper ? it's very messy. I stripped my complete car with poly strip wheels, dusty but cleen.

im going to take a guess that he wants paint stripper, as blasting methods can so easily warp a panel if done incorrectly, and bonnets are particularly at risk of it

9 hours ago, Johnny Boy said:

Is there a reason you want to use a paint stripper ? it's very messy. I stripped my complete car with poly strip wheels, dusty but cleen.

The paint is so thick, I tried with orbital and 40grit disc and to do a small area took ages.

As for blasting think even with soda there’s a good chance of warpage so with that it mind I’ll strip the bulk and have the edges blasted.

I tried nitromors but it didn’t touch it unlike the Tina that was a doddle then had the awkward bits blasted.

I learnt from the Anglia having them blasted it ruined an absolutely perfectly straight shell. So the stripper which Ray recommended I’ll give it a go and let you know the results with effectiveness and effort to carry out the job.

9 hours ago, Ray said:

im going to take a guess that he wants paint stripper, as blasting methods can so easily warp a panel if done incorrectly, and bonnets are particularly at risk of it

A poly strip disc is not a blasting method, I guess if you havent used them, you won't know why you wouldn't use anything else for stripping paint rust and filler.

I got a local hardware / cheap an nasty / sells everything warehouse shop in my town, I bought some paintstripper called something ridiculous like XXX strength Paint remover, assumed would be like water but it dissolved paint off my lotus steels in no time. It very nearly choked me to death in my garage, 😂

So my tip is, find a dodgy looking warehouse with dusty stock on the shelves an buy the random stuff in there 👌

• Haha 1

I used quite a few 4.5 inch ones an an angle grinder  to bare metal the car, but they are cheap if you buy 5 at a time, and I used small twist loc ones on a small  75mm angle grinder, and air tool for the hard to get at area, and a wire wheel on a drill, for they very tight areas.

2pcs-40-Grits-Poly-Strip-Disc-Wheel-Aluminum-Paint-Rust-Removal-Clean-125mm-Diameter-For-Angle.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnny Boy said:

I used quite a few 4.5 inch ones an an angle grinder  to bare metal the car, but they are cheap if you buy 5 at a time, and I used small twist loc ones on a small  75mm angle grinder, and air tool for the hard to get at area, and a wire wheel on a drill, for they very tight areas.

2pcs-40-Grits-Poly-Strip-Disc-Wheel-Aluminum-Paint-Rust-Removal-Clean-125mm-Diameter-For-Angle.jpg

I use a combination of both, stripper can get into places wheels and pats cant (Gutter channels for example). Some of the original paint was so baked on that the stripper helped soften it for the ploypad to get it off.  I had one let go on me though. They were made in China and most of the glue that holds it together was on one side and the thing disintegrated at high speed and lucky none of the pieces got me. The company that sold them quickly came round to replace it and said they would asses what happened and get back to me but never did. They just wanted to collect the evidence so I had no proof LOL

6 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

I use a combination of both, stripper can get into places wheels and pats cant (Gutter channels for example). Some of the original paint was so baked on that the stripper helped soften it for the ploypad to get it off.  I had one let go on me though. They were made in China and most of the glue that holds it together was on one side and the thing disintegrated at high speed and lucky none of the pieces got me. The company that sold them quickly came round to replace it and said they would asses what happened and get back to me but never did. They just wanted to collect the evidence so I had no proof LOL

mine were chinese ones, luckily no explosive events happened. 

That's somthing to bare in mind when buying no name potential explosions , that could be a very nasty accident.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Johnny Boy said:

mine were chinese ones, luckily no explosive events happened. 

That's somthing to bare in mind when buying no name potential explosions , that could be a very nasty accident.

Definitely a goggle wearing product! LOL But it didn't put me off using them as nothing digs into that decades old paint quite like them and with minimal heat generation that could distort the panels. But just keep in mind they are dangerous things and can let go and any moment.