Donald Campbell's Bluebird

Vista

Who has followed this story and where do you stand on it? Should it be returned to the museum complete? Or stay with the restorer and be used on the water? 

I guess most will agree that what should not happen is for the original and the new sections to be cut apart and go their separate ways?

I am at a loss to understand why it can't be shared, say on display in the museum in winter and on the water putting on displays in summer.

A few links

BBC News - Bluebird: What next for Donald Campbell's record-breaker?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-46386257

BBC News - Donald Campbell: Plea for return of restored Bluebird 'in one piece'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-58205737

BBC News - Bluebird: Dismantling Donald Campbell's boat only remaining option

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-58424668

BBC News - Bluebird: Donald Campbell's craft dismantled in ownership row

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-58614899

BBC News - Bluebird: Campbell's daughter says craft will return to Coniston Water

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-58632814

Im of the opinion you run it once for display purposes then let it then live its life in the museum. Not only that the museum has a contract that it belongs to them and they have spent nay on a million pounds meeting their obligations to build the display space for it but the thing that struck me most was that in order to sustain use that many more original parts would have to subsequently be replaced meaning over time the thing becomes less and less original. Build a replica if you really want to constantly play with it. Keep as much of the original in the museum as possible. Even the original was to be pretty much meant to be used once then put on display like the other Bluebirds. Given that once became a tragedy its even more so it should not me used as show pony on display days at the loch. Test it to show everyone it works sure but then pop it on display dry and safe forever.

I saw a bit about this but not the full 'in's & out's' as is usual LOL! The Coniston Museum has been there for ages and although everyone knew where the boat was, they couldn't be 'bothered'? to go and retrieve it. So a private individual does so and makes efforts to rebuild / restore it - no doubt spending a small fortune doing it - only for the museum to tell him what he must and must not do with it! So, i'm torn, yes it would be nice to be exhibited as a historical record, the guy is entitled to some payback as he's done the graft from what I can see - the museum shouldn't have spent money on a display, maybe spent it on recovery and resto first!

2 hours ago, katana said:

I saw a bit about this but not the full 'in's & out's' as is usual LOL! The Coniston Museum has been there for ages and although everyone knew where the boat was, they couldn't be 'bothered'? to go and retrieve it. So a private individual does so and makes efforts to rebuild / restore it - no doubt spending a small fortune doing it - only for the museum to tell him what he must and must not do with it! So, i'm torn, yes it would be nice to be exhibited as a historical record, the guy is entitled to some payback as he's done the graft from what I can see - the museum shouldn't have spent money on a display, maybe spent it on recovery and resto first!

2 hours ago, Vista said:

Yes, I see it a similar way @katana

@Rally Pack 2000 does it belong to them? Or does half of it belong to them? Does the guy who has it have any claim on salvage rights? Who funded its recovery and restoration after all?

Yes I must admit I was curious why it was left to sit underwater for so long. I naturally thought it was recovered soon after the crash.

9 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Yes I must admit I was curious why it was left to sit underwater for so long. I naturally thought it was recovered soon after the crash.

Indeed, the wreckage was located as early as one day after the crash.....but not recovered for another 34 years across 2000/2001.  Personally I thought at the time (and still do now) that both the boat and Campbell should have been left to Rest together In Peace......but what's done is done and I'd wager that if he could have his say now, he'd want his boat out on the water doing what it was designed and built for.

27 minutes ago, Vista said:

Indeed, the wreckage was located as early as one day after the crash.....but not recovered for another 34 years across 2000/2001.  Personally I thought at the time (and still do now) that both the boat and Campbell should have been left to Rest together In Peace......but what's done is done and I'd wager that if he could have his say now, he'd want his boat out on the water doing what it was designed and built for.

It was lucky fortune hunters didn't pick pieces off it in that time. For that reason I am ok with the wreck being salvaged and preserved given the toll being underwater would take on these things but I wouldn't have restored it. I would have left the wreck as is. Think of how much has been cut away removed and replaced to get it sea worthy again. I bet a sizable portion ended up in a skip.