Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


Status Updates posted by MK03Gary

  1. Hello All again,

    I am now confident I have everything sorted to fit the RX8 5 speed gearbox to my AJ30 engine. I have had it all together, it turns over on the starter nice and easy and the clutch operates/springs go over centre mid travel of the slave cylinder.

    The parts I have used are:

    • Freddy's adaptor plate
    • Mondeo flywheel
    • Jaguar Starter Ring
    • Jaguar starter motor
    • Mondeo clutch cover
    • Generic 23 spline Ford clutch plate (sold as a TVR spare)
    • Mazda 6 slave cylinder
    • Crankshaft to flywheel spacer
    • Crankshaft pilot bearing and flywheel locator adaptor
    • Adapted RX8 clutch arm pivot 

    All that's left to do is to get the flywheel and spacer statically balanced.

    I have now moved on to making the air intake plenum chamber. I am going for a classic looking plenum chamber sitting on top between the cam covers. 

    The next update will be in a while as I am now back working abroad to get more pennies!

    I have attached some pics to show what I have been up to. I am very close to having a kit for full rebuild.



    Flywheel and Starter Ring 1.jpeg

    Flywheel and Starter Ring 2.jpeg

    Flywheel and Starter Ring 3.jpeg

    Flywheel Complete.jpeg

    Flywheel Spacer.jpeg

    Flywheel, Spacer and Pilot Bearing adapter fitted to flywheel.jpeg

    Pilot Bearing Adapter in Crankshaft.jpeg

    Starter Ring to Starter location.jpeg

    Starter ring, Adapter Ring and Flywheel Tack Weld.jpeg

    Clutch Slave Cylinder - Clutch fully released.jpeg






  2. Hello All - Update on progress.

    I have found a flywheel from a 2.5 Mondeo (non ST) and it fits a treat. I can now align clutch operating arm by extending the pivot and I have a pilot/spigot bearing adaptor being made in a local machine shop. I am fitting the Jaguar starter ring to the ford flywheel to enable me to keep the original starter and not adjust the gearbox adaptor plate. All is looking good now.

    Whilst this has been going on I have finally finished the fuel tank modifications to take an internal Walboro pump. I have fitted extra baffles to create an internal anti-surge zone for the pump to sit in and closed up the original leaky large drain/access plate, replacing it with a simple drain plug. All of the access holes have been closed up aircraft fuel tank closing style (lots of work, but worth it in the long run). All this is much cheaper, and I believe more in keeping with what I want, than the external surge tank/pumps/piping that was the alternative. Fuel tank/pump installation pic attached.

    More news as and when it happens.









  • Create New...