Ford Cortina MK3 306cid windsor

Sultzi

Hi!

This car had originally 1.3l kent so needed somekind of update to it. So now it has 2.8TT engine with cosworth t5 gearbox and Volvo 1031 rear axle with detroit truetrac lock.

This vid shows pretty good how the car has come together past the years: http://sultzi.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Videoita/Cortinapart1.wmv

You can find all the pics during project in here: http://sultzi.kuvat.fi/kuvat/Ford+Cortina+-71+V6/

And now I'm putting a bigger radiator to it and changing camshaft once again! Car haven't been dynod yet, so don't know about power yet. Maybe this year or during next will get this to dyno :)

Comments welcome :)

• Like 2

• 9 months later...

Interior almost done, just little tweeks here and there still needed. But starts to look like car again! :)

_smaller.jpg

_smaller.jpg

_smaller.jpg

_smaller.jpg

Boot updated (new catch tank, new fuel lines, better secondary pump)

_smaller.jpg

_smaller.jpg

Oil catch tank finded place inside passenger side front wing

_smaller.jpg

Engine bay now (bigger radiator, davies craig electric water pump, new fuel lines, 1260cc injectors, new fuel pressure regulator etc.)

_smaller.jpg

_smaller.jpg

_smaller.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Thank you for the kind words :)

So, I did drive with this around 13000km and one day driving home from work, hitting the rev limiter on 3rd gear one inlet valve dropped due to broken retainer (oe). And now when engine is put to pieces, I discovered that Kent Cams springs ain't much stiffer than original ones, so that's pretty sure the reason why that retainer gave up. Did measure them now and they gave around 33kg seat pressure and 80kg at maximum lift.

Here you can see the damage

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Couple other retainers had cracks also

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

So I decided to build completely new engine with hopefully better components.

Main thing is new pistons. I did calculate cr of the old engine and discovered that I had calculated it very wrong earlier. I thought I have cr around 8.2:1 but it was in reality around 7.3:1 :dope: Which is very low for even gasoline powered engines and I did use e85 as fuel on this. So new pistons came from CP-pistons and they will give CR of 10:1 which works alot better with turbocharged e85 motor.

CP needed mould of the head to design new piston. I bolted head to the block and stuffed handful of putty and let it dry over night. Result was ok. I actually did new one also because factory didn't see center line of the wrist pin accurate enough from first mold. Second one I did mould directly to one old piston.

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

And this is what factory did come up with

_medium.jpg

Took about 6months to get these, but nice and shiny

_medium.jpg

Next thing was to get more rigid block with billet main girdle. One Ford enthusiast already had made one for 2.9 v6 and I did modify the picture to fit this 2.8 block.

_medium.jpg

Block to start with (too big, plans did change)

_medium.jpg

And ready

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Oil pump almost fitted, but little grinding and all was ok.

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Drilled and tapped m8 holes for the oilpan line

_medium.jpg

ARP studs little bit too short, but friend of mine did mill material off couple mm..

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Oil pan needed to be done also, did use sump of the old one and made new mounting plates..

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Pressure plates for drilling the block to get round bores..

_medium.jpg

Starter ring welded to flywheel to ensure it stays on

_medium.jpg

New roller rockers from harland sharp with 1.6 ratio

_medium.jpg

Cylinder heads needed modification to take double valve springs from Crower. Trial tested the tool for crap head

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Drilled holes to make sure there is enough material left

_medium.jpg

Real heads done

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Will update more later on.. :)

• Like 1

Thank you, will try make pretty much everything better this time :) Also boost will be more this time, previosly I drove with 1bar but this time I going to try around 1.3-1.4bar which is turbochargers maximum for reasonable boost without too much hot air. Will be monitoring also exhaust pressure, haven't done it yet, will be interesting to see where it goes with boost pressure..

Got some better crmo retainers

_medium.jpg

Measuring which crank to use, this one was the best with only 0.005 of twisting measurable

_medium.jpg

Some chinese egt sensors for each pipe

_medium.jpg

Injectors serviced

_medium.jpg

Bought block o-ringing tool to prevent head gasket failure with higher cr and boost pressures

_medium.jpg

Making new fuel rails

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Fuelab electric fuel pressure regulator

_medium.jpg

Chinese 65mm thorttle body

_medium.jpg

I sold that beaten up cossy box and bought BMW E90 330D box, ZF GS6-53DZ. This will handle more than 1000nm of torque and should be nice to change gears also. 6-speed with extra short 1st (nice to have with hard clutch)

_medium.jpg

Here we have bellhousing all welded up to be bolt on behind this v6

_medium.jpg

Trial fitted the box the to block

_medium.jpg

Ratios are these, pretty reasonable for this engine

_medium.jpg

This type of box has pivot bearing in the axle itself (two kinds of avaible), so I draw this to be mounted under flywheel bolts.

_medium.jpg

Some room have to be made to the tunnel

_medium.jpg

Modified orignal gearbox crossmember

_medium.jpg

Bought new clutch pressure plate, good for 900nm with sintered plate

_medium.jpg

Also bought new parts for propshaft, slide part need to be on the propshaft due the new box

_medium.jpg

And draw this adapter behind the box to mount the propshaft

_medium.jpg

Some update to the rear axle also. Made new lower arm mounting points to get the arms in better angle with this lowered driving height.. Also did throw new bearings to the diff at the same time.

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

It's now painted and mounted back to the car.

Adjustable upper arms

_medium.jpg

Got me a set of new wheel also.

_medium.jpg

These accuire some body work to fit, front end is easy

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Rear need some work, around 25mm out is needed for the body, in this picture is already taken out something like 15mm..

_medium.jpg

Rear master cylinder is moved to the trunk (sierra abs version), made bracket for it

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Also electric power steering pump relocated to trunk

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Couple these to the engine bay, one for brake to the trunk line and another for clutch

_medium.jpg

New gps speedometer

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Some room for the propshaft at the back, did hit the body when accelerating and hitting to hole or something

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

_medium.jpg

Will update soon some more :)

• Like 1