Xflow tuning

bfreshmk2

Will there be a noticeable change and is it worth it? Sorry about the questions just trying to build on a budget lol

I'm afraid I can't say as I've never owned a crossflow powered car. From what I've read on here though, people rarely make this change in isolation, it is usually done as part of other upgrades and as a package does produce good results.

1300 pistons, a decent kent cam while your in the block and a 4 branch manifold will make a good difference. just dont be expecting porsche power. will liven your engine up no end though, was the common mods in the 90's for us. and get +90 pitons. they will need pocketing though.

Cheers I was thinking about a 234 cam I have twin webers 1300 pistons and getting it set up properly. I don't want mega power just a decent revvy engine that's better than standard

it will be the bollox especially with twin 40's they rev to the moon, use arp rod bolts and get it ballanced properly. we found that rods like to exit the block.

If the budget could stretch to a good modded head will work wonders with what you already have, also get the flywheel lightened. Usually engines are done as a package not one thing on its own will make a massive difference but a well chosen package can give a drivable useful engine. Don't go overboard on cam as the advantages of more power make them a pig to drive. To me I would sacrifice a bit of power to make the car more drivable with a larger power band instead of my engine produces a fancy bhp figure at 10 million revs! That's no use to anyone unless your the Stig !!

• Like 2

If the budget could stretch to a good modded head will work wonders with what you already have, also get the flywheel lightened. Usually engines are done as a package not one thing on its own will make a massive difference but a well chosen package can give a drivable useful engine. Don't go overboard on cam as the advantages of more power make them a pig to drive. To me I would sacrifice a bit of power to make the car more drivable with a larger power band instead of my engine produces a fancy bhp figure at 10 million revs! That's no use to anyone unless your the Stig !!

we used to run a standard 1600 head cos we couldnt afford propper ones, and cams were everywhere for 20 quid!

cams personal choice. down to how you drive and what you want the car for. weve had fast road and rally cams. but for bast results with the latter you really want propper conrods and 45's. so it starts getting expensive, and turns it into an animal to drive. speak to jeff harris see what they could help you out with. theyre a frienly bunch!

• Like 1

Totally agree with RWL everyone's idea of a good cam is different. Cam profiles have changed since I used them, do some research on the cam sites and read people's views on them as I have said before the cam people's claims are not always the same as the end users results.

My budget x flow engine consists of ....

711m block bored to 1660 with used 1300 pistons and new rings .

1600gt head with ports cleaned up , single valve springs .

BCF3  cam , as big as you can go on standard valve springs /non pocketed pistons .

Crank reground , new bearings .

Cleaned and checked oil pump .

Electronic ignition .

Twin 40's .

Mass style exhaust manifold with a 2 1/4  inch system .

Flywheel has been lightened but I would use a stock one next time ,

also would have decked the block .

puddy :)

PS . All mods and built by myself .

• Like 1

Here's mine.

Connaught Competition Engines built 1689cc xflow

Standard 1600 block, decked and rebored

1300 +90 lightweight pistons

New piston rings

Balanced crankshaft

Ex formula ford big valve head

Full port and polish on the head

Valve seats uprated for unleaded

New valves, valve guides, stem seals

New uprated single valve springs

Steel rockers and rocker shaft

Duplex timing chain and sprockets

Lightened flywheel

Stage 1 AP clutch

Piper 285 camshaft

Weber twin 40 DCOES

Long ram inlet manifold

105speed Mass style exhaust manifold

Custom single box exhaust by Pipecraft

Engine set up by BD Engineering, and dyno'd before the 105speed manifold was fitted at 135 bhp at 6200rpm, although the power graph was still climbing when he let off.

We are planning to get them to re dyno it, ideally to 6800 or thereabouts and we are expecting probably 145-150bhp

Would just like to mention a special thanks to young Sam at Connaughts, built the engine himself and we couldn't be happier with it.