OSF CULT

Mexican Gerbil

I had been meaning to do this on my return, so thanks for the reminder.

I know what it takes and costs to run a large forum, but the main thing as well as money is the commitment needed by the admin to keep on doing it over and over whilst others come and go at their leisure, it can be a thankless task much of the time.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Ray said:

let me know when you dangle the carrot then Scott, because from where i sit, theyre all taking the piss

Cheers Ray - nice to know you think I'm taking the piss because I'm not in the hood! I come here for the chat and offer advice, where I can - I've lost count of how many times now and in return, I've gotten advice when asked for, but on considerably fewer occasions. I don't attend shows or meets and I rarely need or want for the benefits a contributor gets. So Ray, if you consider me of no benefit and just want the money, make the site a funded site and see how quiet it becomes!

31 minutes ago, katana said:

Cheers Ray - nice to know you think I'm taking the piss because I'm not in the hood! I come here for the chat and offer advice, where I can - I've lost count of how many times now and in return, I've gotten advice when asked for, but on considerably fewer occasions. I don't attend shows or meets and I rarely need or want for the benefits a contributor gets. So Ray, if you consider me of no benefit and just want the money, make the site a funded site and see how quiet it becomes!

its a case of looking at the facts Ian, forgetting shows and events, the site itself costs money to run, end of, if it dosnt get the funding it will eventually cease to exist, either that or someone like Scott will be putting their hands in their pockets for everyone elses advantage, Scott has tried doing it the nice way, but clearly being nice dosnt work, thats really where this comes from, as a few of us can see that, whereas most cant, and it takes getting a little pushy to get people to see it, sorry if that offends, but its fact, and £12 a year is not a lot, and tbh, if everyone contributed, it probably wouldnt need to be as much as that

Exactly, I don't think it is so much about being in the hood, but more, as the tag suggests, contributing towards the upkeep of a site that we all seem to enjoy, but only a handful actually contribute towards.

I don't benefit anymore than non paying members, but for £1 a month I just don't understand any arguments for not chipping in.....🤷‍♂️

Most people spend more than £12 in a few days on coffees ffs.....🙃

Edited by stephens_xpack
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, stephens_xpack said:

I don't benefit anymore than non paying members, but for £1 a month I just don't understand any arguments for not chipping in.....🤷‍♂️

Actually there are a number of subtle things contributors get that non contributors don't (and I am looking at what I can do to increase the benefits further).

Some subtle differences that contributors get are:

1. Unlimited messages in your PM message box
  2. Ability to attach pictures to PM's
  3. Discount on show entry and merchandise
  4. Private chat room
  5. Ability to add signatures to your posts

What I expressly don't want is for an argument to kick off about it. But as others have said  the site does cost a bit to run. For instance, the recent forum server change was needed due to the size it has grown to. The new server and labour assistance to deal with moving the database was over £300. Public liability insurance for events nearly £200. If the Tour of the Moor goes ahead at the same venue this year, the site will likely need to subsidise it as the pitches looked like coming in at nearly £100 each for the weekend. Then there's the annual subscription for the platform software update.

Me? My time is free.

40 minutes ago, Johnny Boy said:

Maybe if it was  less money more people would  subscribe, lots and lots of £4 is better than a few £12.

Just a surgestion😃

whilst i agree to an extent, while the majority dont and never pay, it has to stay higher, you have to get people paying to start with, to be able to assess any possible reduction

• 5 months later...

I've just seen this thread for the first time 😬 I wondered why some names are purple. An to be honest never even gave it a thought how the site was funded. 

If I hadn't of clicked I don't think I wouldve realised you've asked for contributions 🙈

( Maybe there's part of the problem 🤷🏻‍♂️

I've been here since 2013 and learned a lot from people here, my car wouldn't be as capable as it is without you guys an gals. And I know for a fact some of the issues I've had with the car wouldn't of been solved.

Where's the link to put my tuppence in 👌👌

On 19/05/2022 at 03:31, accord83 said:

I was a Cult before I could pay to be a Cult. I think people shouted Cult! at my Police car............:shock:

Oh was that what it was?!! I thought maybe you were a Scientologist but was I too embarrassed to ask!

11 hours ago, BaileyMex said:

Just don't tell them about the initiation ceremony 🤣

I thought you guys stopped all that years ago when you couldn't find virgins any more? :think:

• Haha 1

• 1 year later...

I had two Renault 5 Turbines and joined the RTOC, it’s still going strong I believe.  I think their fee is 15 quid, they are going strong, used to get a brown envelope in the post with a sticker and a newsletter. 👍 The reason I believe is, most of their forums are locked until you join. 

I never had any DMs after posting for parts from scammers but here I’ve had several, not arsed about that mind, but the point I’m making is this. It would be more secure and keep the clowns away. Anyhoo, I think 12 quid a year is a steal. I’d hate the site to go because of funding when there are so many people hitting the site. 

• Like 1