Jump to content

Johnnys MK1 Cortina resto project


Recommended Posts

Hi all,

I thought id post up some pictures of my ongoing Mk1 Cortina project.

I started the build thread on Buysellcortina Forum, its probably 75% done now.

Its my take on a modernised Lotus Cortina. I started it September last year, and have rebuilt a lot.

Its a LHD heavy duty export shell, Deluxe 1965 Finnish import. I have swapped it over to RHD including the wipers, converted to rack and pinion steering, Capri rear single leaf springs, torque bias LSD rebuilt 8 inch rear brakes, all new brake hoses an pipes, Bias peddle box, Capri steering colomn, Capri 2.8 vented discs and legs, roller top mounts Lotus dash pod. Mazda 1850cc twin cam and Mazda 5 speed box. Stainless steel  4 into 1 exhaust manifold into a 2.5 inch single box exhaust

I'm currently sorting the behind dash and ignition ecu 

 

 

IMG_20200415_173631.jpg

IMG_20200415_173443.jpg

IMG_20200415_173540.jpg

IMG_20200415_173702.jpg

IMG_20200415_173834.jpg

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, Vista said:

I have electric power steering with three master cylinders back there and a bias pedal box fitted. It is doable in am Escort for sure.

There just isn't enough room with out re jigging the cylinders' about by remaking the bias box.

Don't get me wrong, anything can be done, just how much work, for me, too much.

The steering should be liveable, the engine and box are lighter than a crossflow combo, and it has roller top mounts. 

 

I guess I'll know when I drive it !

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Johnny Boy said:

There just isn't enough room with out re jigging the cylinders' about by remaking the bias box.

Don't get me wrong, anything can be done, just how much work, for me, too much.

The steering should be liveable, the engine and box are lighter than a crossflow combo, and it has roller top mounts. 

 

I guess I'll know when I drive it !

Agreed, I did it on mine as I have a cosworth lump under the bonnet and 9J rims with 245/40/15 tyres. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

My Tina ain’t to bad without eps, would say fractionally heavier than std. But like Vista I’m  running cosworth and rack a pinion steering with 15” wheels. With most things you’d think the Tina would have more room for things being a larger car but the space under the dash is more confined.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have escort with 7×15, 195/45 tyres, 2.4 rack and no pas, at dead stop its heavy ish, but when rolling its absolutley fine. You just get used to rolling very slowly when manovering, pas just something else to go wrong. Ive heard that the corsa units if not moved for a while whilst driving go to sleep? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not heard of them going to sleep, but not had mine long enough to experience this. Unit has two live feeds. One from battery and the other is ignition live to controller. 

Fitted mine with two brake cylinders (bias box) in close proximity, but agree the Cortina looks a lot tighter. 

 

1g.jpg

1i.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On a mk 1 Cortina, with a bias box the cylinders are right where you want the EPs motor to be, I didn't want it hanging down.

I had to go with the bias box , because there was not enough room to clear the Weber's , 5 mm with static engine.

IMG_20200417_112213.jpg

IMG_20200417_112255.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, colr6 said:

My Tina ain’t to bad without eps, would say fractionally heavier than std. But like Vista I’m  running cosworth and rack a pinion steering with 15” wheels. With most things you’d think the Tina would have more room for things being a larger car but the space under the dash is more confined.

I'm running 2.9 quick rack, roller top mounts, 185/60/13

2 degree caster

Just have to see how it goes.

Eventually ...........🙄

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Johnny Boy said:

Did you try yours without EPs ?

 

The assistance is manually adjustable on mine. I turn it down to minimum when driving but for slow speed stuff, parking in particular, it's extremely heavy without any assistance at all (I think it's a 2.4 turn quick rack). 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The nodiz ignition ECU I'm using, has the facility to use a TPS sensor for 3 d mapping of the ign, also a Launch control feature.

I thought I'd use these features 🙄 so I have fitted a TPS sensor to the Weber 40 dcoe's that I using , and will be fitting a switch to the clutch pedal for the lunch control.

Has any one else had experience of these ?

IMG_20200325_144154~2.jpg

IMG_20200326_141929.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/04/2020 at 10:57, Johnny Boy said:

The nodiz ignition ECU I'm using, has the facility to use a TPS sensor for 3 d mapping of the ign, also a Launch control feature.

I thought I'd use these features 🙄 so I have fitted a TPS sensor to the Weber 40 dcoe's that I using , and will be fitting a switch to the clutch pedal for the lunch control.

Has any one else had experience of these ?

IMG_20200325_144154~2.jpg

IMG_20200326_141929.jpg

lunch control???????? lol

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...