Johnnys MK1 Cortina resto project

Well today I've done a bit of investigative body work, just to see what horrors are lurking under the very heavy Finnish stone chip on all the lower panels.

Very surprised........................ NO RUST😳

IMG_20210110_182931~2.jpg

IMG_20210110_182943~2.jpg

IMG_20210110_183001~2.jpg

Edited by Johnny Boy
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, notenoughtime said:

Looks like a good shell 

Yes it is a good shell. Its a Finnish import, and looks to have been undersealed, and Ziebarted very early on, maybe from new.

It hasn't stopped all the rust ,but there is very little, that I'll address before the repaint. Its mostly dents on the lower panels from the stone roads.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 05/02/2021 at 15:46, Johnny Boy said:

I'llNo got on very well with this, as it keeps raining, and I'm doing it out side.

Done a bit more today , before it rained 😤

IMG_20210205_150725_646.jpg

IMG_20210205_150739_416.jpg

Going back to my hot rod roots, I'd be soo tempted to lacquer that bad boy as it is 😉

😳🤩

surprised & impressed to see you’ve gone from dyno in October to full bare metal in January, thought I’d missed something 😂.....brilliant work!

What method you using to get paint off? Grinder? Paint remover?

2 hours ago, Huge said:

😳🤩

surprised & impressed to see you’ve gone from dyno in October to full bare metal in January, thought I’d missed something 😂.....brilliant work!

What method you using to get paint off? Grinder? Paint remover?

I used 4 1/2 inch poly discs, they worked really well, but very dusty, and time consuming.

It started out as just a local repair to the paint areas that i wasn't happy with, but I got carried away , and ended up bare metaling it, which did uncover a few rusty bits, that I am attending too, ready for a 2k repaint.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, notenoughtime said:

I’m looking forward to seeing the next stages 

I'm doing all the first fix prep, and cutting out rust and putting in new metal, and the stripping out.

Then It's going to a local body and paint guy for second fix body prep, and a 2k repaint in its original ermine white.

Then back to me for putting back together.  

• Like 1

On 14/03/2021 at 21:11, Johnny Boy said:

I'm doing all the first fix prep, and cutting out rust and putting in new metal, and the stripping out.

Then It's going to a local body and paint guy for second fix body prep, and a 2k repaint in its original ermine white.

Then back to me for putting back together.  

Can I ask how much that's setting you back?

30 minutes ago, chinkamon said:

Can I ask how much that's setting you back?

Not sure really yet, but the more sh!tty time consuming work I do the cheaper it will be.

The idea is for me to get it all rust repaired, and first fixed, and the body guy to tap it about a bit, and 2K it inside bits and outside.

Then I've got a new headlining to fit, new rubbers, new windscreen, refit the windows, and put it all back together

I can see some more days off in the barn, as i just don't seem to be able to find the time to work on it unless I take days off work.

I've got this Friday off, to use up my holiday, so I'll get a bit more done. 😬