The HARRIER RESTO BEGINS 🤫

Got started on the normal pile of crap rot box mk2 Harrier. Got the shell blasted last year and stuck it in the corner. Got a bit of motivation and got the shell on the jig. It was going to destined for the rally circles. It had been in a field since 1999 so you can imagine what it’s like and by no means it’d had a hard life. Had a knock at the back and the front so on the jig it went to make sure it’s right when it’s done. A couple of pics of the rear to date. Once this is done it’s brace up, remove floor, lower bulkhead and both inner wings,sills, centre chassis legs.

9941CEE3-EB2F-41E1-B123-B00B363523A3.jpeg

B61C6484-F9AA-4388-89C6-25A0CE7BA1C0.jpeg

05B551AD-610F-46E1-90B6-468B9A8EC6DA.jpeg

431B8046-E379-4B0E-85F8-AFC019F5271E.jpeg

17B1916A-B563-40BA-B700-D3348C156FCE.jpeg

CBE40A2A-4A46-4F4E-8979-9AE2B071A81E.jpeg

BC3AEB75-D802-44DD-85A3-2FE7CA2BC897.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Love 2

2 hours ago, Vista said:

Is that a Magnum 1/4 panel? What's the fit like?

That looks too fine a press to be a Magnum panel. It looks of exceptional quality. My guess is Expressed?

I love the Cortina Col but Harriers are a fav so Im going to have to transfer my affections by the look of it.

9 hours ago, Vista said:

Is that a Magnum 1/4 panel? What's the fit like?

It’s a bit tight on the air vent attached to the c post which causes a slight problem on the boot gap. Which will be rectified 🔨🔨🔨but apart from that spot on. The lower repair panel doesn’t have lips where it’s supposed to and was a couple of mm short on the seam. The floor and bulkhead will be the main test of quality. I certainly wasn’t paying express prices for their panels as the door skin for the Tina was like fitting a square peg in a round hole and to this day it’s still not 100%

7 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

That looks too fine a press to be a Magnum panel. It looks of exceptional quality. My guess is Expressed?

I love the Cortina Col but Harriers are a fav so Im going to have to transfer my affections by the look of it.

I just need someone to donate me some vinyl roof trims to finish the expected look off ....lol

2 minutes ago, colr6 said:

It’s a bit tight on the air vent attached to the c post which causes a slight problem on the boot gap. Which will be rectified 🔨🔨🔨but apart from that spot on. The lower repair panel doesn’t have lips where it’s supposed to and was a couple of mm short on the seam. The floor and bulkhead will be the main test of quality. I certainly wasn’t paying express prices for their panels as the door skin for the Tina was like fitting a square peg in a round hole and to this day it’s still not 100%

Well if that's a magnum panel they have come a long way since I bought from them last. It literally had a series of scrunched ripples on it that a third of it had to be discarded. Fortunately the car metal was still good in that area to blend the two. Similar to how you have used your rear quarter. You saved a bit and cut down the panel except your panel wasn't ripply.

1 minute ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Well if that's a magnum panel they have come a long way since I bought from them last. It literally had a series of scrunched ripples on it that a third of it had to be discarded. Fortunately the car metal was still good in that area to blend the two. Similar to how you have used your rear quarter. You saved a bit and cut down the panel except your panel wasn't ripply.

The moulding section under the rear light on the rear quarter is perfect, yet the lower repair panel moulding is absolutely shite

• Like 1

Just now, Rally Pack 2000 said:

So will it be white or silver? With or without front spoiler?

It’s an original silver one, I do have the proper front spoiler to go along with one of Peter lyttons rear spoiler. Supposedly only 500 of the silver ones made so the more rarer one of the two.

14 minutes ago, colr6 said:

It’s an original silver one, I do have the proper front spoiler to go along with one of Peter lyttons rear spoiler. Supposedly only 500 of the silver ones made so the more rarer one of the two.

Silver it is then! In your images the panels look painted silver so I was wondering if you were pre-painting then and wondering how you weld them after that!

2 hours ago, colr6 said:

Floor and bulkhead panels are good, just make sure you spread the tunnel as they spring inwards due to the pressing obviously 

I bought a expressed heater bubble it’s good but I’m not overly impressed 

2 hours ago, colr6 said:

I didn’t think they had the front spoiler fitted from factory? 

• Love 1

15 minutes ago, notenoughtime said:

I didn’t think they had the front spoiler fitted from factory? 

Yes they were getting rid of all the crap they had left over from the more shall we say exotic models....lol

Started to finally button the panels up and came across a problem, before I welded the rear panel to rear quarter thought I’d better check the light  aperture was right. The return part of the light opening on the top is to long and you can’t fit the light in, it catches on the bulb holders and stops you feeding it in. So if anyone fits a rear panel, worth a check the lights go in before sending for paint. Will add a picture of the culprit later.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, In The Pit said:

The Harrier didn't come with a front spoiler and it wasn't an option.

Im not sure about the UK but here if you wanted a front or rear spoiler even on your Ghia the dealer would supply and fit one. They would never knock back a sale at inflated spare parts prices.

On 01/02/2021 at 15:32, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Im not sure about the UK but here if you wanted a front or rear spoiler even on your Ghia the dealer would supply and fit one. They would never knock back a sale at inflated spare parts prices.

Here once it's your car it's your car and anyone who doesn't approve of your choices can kiss your royal backside :wiggle:

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, Vista said:

Here once it's your car it's your car and anyone who doesn't approve of your choices can kiss your royal backside :wiggle:

unless you want to fit a poxall engine!

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got round to picking my wheels from the diomond cutters and had the tyres fitted. More stuff to go in the loft 🤫🤫🤫 considering the condition that they were in I was well pleased, not totally perfect but bloody near enough! Fully expected them to refuse to do them or advise to powder coat. But apparently persevered and got them as near perfect as poss. Got to take into consideration these are 40+ yrs old. Had 185/60 Yoko a539 directionals fitted and we’ll see how they go.

D8A42492-0F15-4EEE-84A8-BA4E6E38ADC8.jpeg

1FDA296D-B796-47DA-889C-1185142469A7.jpeg

442B2A41-7BDA-453E-83E0-00B976E80919.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Love 4

1 hour ago, colr6 said:

Finally got round to picking my wheels from the diomond cutters and had the tyres fitted. More stuff to go in the loft 🤫🤫🤫 considering the condition that they were in I was well pleased, not totally perfect but bloody near enough! Fully expected them to refuse to do them or advise to powder coat. But apparently persevered and got them as near perfect as poss. Got to take into consideration these are 40+ yrs old. Had 185/60 Yoko a539 directionals fitted and we’ll see how they go.

D8A42492-0F15-4EEE-84A8-BA4E6E38ADC8.jpeg

1FDA296D-B796-47DA-889C-1185142469A7.jpeg

442B2A41-7BDA-453E-83E0-00B976E80919.jpeg

Very nice, was it an expensive job?

21 minutes ago, Mash said:

Very nice, was it an expensive job?

Just a bit, normally they’re about £60 a rim but these came out at £85 when I considered they could be a total loss on the cutting front I was willing to pay that for the end product. To be fair on their behalf they did ask before continuing.

• Like 2