HELLO CHAPS, Im Back.........and have a question

V8ian

I have been out of the game for a few years now, and have a itch to build something, My car has arrived with a very tired 1300 crossflow, I know Could slot in a 1600, or Pinto, or even build a 1300 screamer, But this its all old hat, I fancy something a bit more modern, Things have moved on a lot since I last played with 4 pots, So, what Engine, Im iunsure. the only criteria is it must be a 4pot FORD, produce in excess of 150hp, and cheap to buy, and what gearbox would bolt up to it, Im after something quick to build thats not going to break the bank and not hard to find
I have on my shelf of bits, Bike style Jenveys, and an Emerald 6K if needed.

Hi Ian, I'm sure I remember your user name.👍

I was off grid for years as well but I missed stinking of petrol and upsetting the neighbours HA!

Zetec is a relatively cheap and easy upgrade, and i think with the correct plates will bolt straight onto a Type 9 box, and I think you should be able to get a manifold made up to bolt the Jenvey's onto.

But nothing is cheap anymore mate 😒

Lots of engines have been tried - Mk5/6? RS2000 - reliable, powerful, heavy and limited tuning parts, Regular Zetec's, 1800 or 2000 preferred, will work with carbs, loads of tuning potential, good aftermarket supplies, EFI equipped will get around 170hp or if you use the ST170 derivative over 200+hp is possible without going mad and then there is the 2.0L Duratec engine - similar to a Zetec but everything swopped sides, very reliable, excellent HP potential - good basic 220+hp up to 'full on send it' mode 300hp NA And then turbos on all are an option. Engines cheap to buy, spendy to install and tune though. All Type E and Type 9 gearboxes fit, Mazda gearboxes work particularly well with the Duratec's as that was based off a Mazda / Yamaha product. Any engine swap now doesn't seem to have as much stigma attached as they did 5-10 years ago - reliable, fuel efficient and powerful - what's not to like!

• Like 1