What Post 2000 year cars do you fancy for 2 to 3000 quid?

Rally Pack 2000

1 minute ago, dt36 said:

Is the passenger seat the same?  Previous owner might have had a child sitting behind them who kicked seven bells out of it.

No! (I just went out and sat in it when you asked the question) The passenger isnt as bad as the drivers. Its surface is firm because of the leather being that way but that lumber bulge isnt there it just feels flat like a regular seat. The drivers seat in this Ghia is fully electronic with tiny levers that control it every which way. The passenger seat has no lumber control and just a wheel for backrest tilt.

• Like 1

I just checked the back of the seat and the sides in the middle of the car between the seats and the leather was quite a bit softer. On the outer sides near the windows and the seat and back rest were hard like shoe leather. So definitely an issue with a lost of suppleness. I was even beginning to have doubts it was proper leather and not vinyl is was so tough in places.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

If I can get rid of the beeps with FORsacn as you say I will get dedicated laptop with Windows 10 just to do it! I was given a laptop that I never used and its still in its box. Old fashioned by modern standards but if it only has one use maybe it could work!

Would be cheaper to get someone else in a local club to do it.  Otherwise, you are stepping across the boundary to 2022 😁

The Tough book on the right was not a cheap option (work supplied) and is only used for plugging in to vehicles with Internet connectivity switched off.  The one on the left is for playing Solitaire. 

You will also need to get a Ford compatible OBD, as the cheaper generics won't work on a Ford. 

Have a look at what local Ford forums you have there, sort of biased towards more modern stuff like Focus and Fiesta STs etc. There is probably a scene close to you that there will be guys familiar with the software. 

Most of them are actually a good bunch too, but are just into newer and higher performance Fords than us oldies. 😁

PXL_20211117_101416811.jpg

• Confused 1

50 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Being a camera collector from the old films days I have always felt cameras should be cameras, phones should be phones and computers should be computers. I have been proven right if you see the repressive measures used on everyone with a smartphone here. I have even been denied covid tests through medial facilities unless I give them a mobile number and QR setup. The harder they push the more I refuse to use their tech. Sorry Metaverse I wont be joining you.

Definitely a man after my own heart ! I have an old 35mm Film SLR, a digital Canon pocket size for everyday use & a Nokia 'Mars Bar' phone that would have a dial on it - if I had my way! Funny you mentioning about the QR code thing - I had the same with a pub during last lock-down release, spotty oik on the door says 'scan and register' . . . .  I hand him my Nokia and says 'I'm not sure how to - could you help me?' He looked totally bemused, not knowing whether to 'phone a friend' or change the TV channels with it LOL! Needless to say I got in without registering!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, dt36 said:

Would be cheaper to get someone else in a local club to do it.  Otherwise, you are stepping across the boundary to 2022 😁

The Tough book on the right was not a cheap option (work supplied) and is only used for plugging in to vehicles with Internet connectivity switched off.  The one on the left is for playing Solitaire. 

You will also need to get a Ford compatible OBD, as the cheaper generics won't work on a Ford. 

Have a look at what local Ford forums you have there, sort of biased towards more modern stuff like Focus and Fiesta STs etc. There is probably a scene close to you that there will be guys familiar with the software. 

Most of them are actually a good bunch too, but are just into newer and higher performance Fords than us oldies. 😁

PXL_20211117_101416811.jpg

Bluuuuuuuuuuuddddddy Hell! Message received and not understood! Yes someone else will have to handle this one. Im just not one of life's joiners as far as clubs and things goes. The clubs here are shall we say not overly friendly unless you are into kissing feet and not have an opinion or knowledge and regularly hail the chosen few at the top. Haven't you ever wondered why I haunt a UK based site? Here I can just kiss @Vista's boots and mail them in the post, far more hygienic. :wink:

11 hours ago, katana said:

Definitely a man after my own heart ! I have an old 35mm Film SLR, a digital Canon pocket size for everyday use & a Nokia 'Mars Bar' phone that would have a dial on it - if I had my way! Funny you mentioning about the QR code thing - I had the same with a pub during last lock-down release, spotty oik on the door says 'scan and register' . . . .  I hand him my Nokia and says 'I'm not sure how to - could you help me?' He looked totally bemused, not knowing whether to 'phone a friend' or change the TV channels with it LOL! Needless to say I got in without registering!

Oh I miss film so much. No manipulations or post processing. Hey I use an old Nokia too so go figure! Now that they are linking certificates and all that to QR costs the more insidious it gets. I don't feel I should show my private medical history to trolley collector at the Aldi. Im not anti technology at all I just oppose that which is to the detriment to us as human beings. Faceache is a prime example and now is the dumbing down of humanity becoming cyborgs with smartphones. No one can add up or spell any more, they no longer feel they have to have any knowledge stored in their brains because they can just google it! Surely you have noticed? In one week I was bowled over twice in the shopping centre by mindless phone zombies and have at least one encounter a week with one stepping off the curb without looking. When the car salesman mentioned the front of the Focus being more pedestrian impact friendly at the front the first thing I thought of was the smartphone walking brain dead!

2 hours ago, Vista said:

I heard Winnie never had any complaints 😉

Agreed on A pillars.  It's because they have to be able to accommodate air bags.

Winnie was happy with that because she knew she was going to get clattered from the rear.  When her old boy was let out, she actually confessed to him that she'd been with other men.  He replied, "It's OK Pooh Bear, so have I.  Now turn over". 👌

Slowly sorting out the issues with Mk2 Focus. Drivers seat requires a 200 quid rebuild to sort the lump that giving me a sore back. Another 600 quid required for 4 new tyres and brakes.

Haven't sorted out silencing the warning alarms yet but hopefully something can be done there. Only really need the seatbelt and reverse audios silenced so hopefully you can keep the reverse parking sensor warning going, that one is fair enough I suppose. (Didn't even realize it had those till it went hysterical on me!)

But one thing I really cant ever come to terms with is whats with the curved sun visors? Seriously? Humans for the most part have two eyes but the designer of the Mk2 Focus seem to think curving the bottom of the visor to make it more stylish was preferred over functionality. Its not even required to find any roof molding. The result is you shade one eye and blinded in the other. Suitable for pirates maybe?! This may not have all that great an impact in nations where the sun peeps out from time to time (no offense meant as I am totally envious) but in places where its almost laser like post apocalyptic skin cancer causing UV radiation cataract causing beam in your face, equal protection to both eyes at the same time is sort of a thing! LOL BUT I noticed  that someone along the way figured it out to be a problem and as such I see on later Focus they are just rectangular. So my question to Focus devotees like @dt36 can you interchange the later rectangular ones for the curved ones?

FocusSunVisor3.thumb.jpg.2d892193a2cf592f8556f11e3f067789.jpg

FocusSunVisor2.thumb.jpg.593a4e4f72af88221976e097853e2f36.jpg

On a personal note mum totally hates the car and refuses to drive it preferring her old late 80s Toyota Camry so the dilemma being do I get all these things corrected only to sell the car in a few months? I cant even think of any 90's car alternatives that I could look for as a replacement? Her needs being utmost reliable, abundance of parts, narrow dash not deep to see over and indicator stalk on the right. My addition was something not totally bland that it will be livable with for the next 20 years. I did really like the Audi A4 Wagon but was smacked down for thinking about that one!

8 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Slowly sorting out the issues with Mk2 Focus. Drivers seat requires a 200 quid rebuild to sort the lump that giving me a sore back. Another 600 quid required for 4 new tyres and brakes.

Haven't sorted out silencing the warning alarms yet but hopefully something can be done there. Only really need the seatbelt and reverse audios silenced so hopefully you can keep the reverse parking sensor warning going, that one is fair enough I suppose. (Didn't even realize it had those till it went hysterical on me!)

But one thing I really cant ever come to terms with is whats with the curved sun visors? Seriously? Humans for the most part have two eyes but the designer of the Mk2 Focus seem to think curving the bottom of the visor to make it more stylish was preferred over functionality. Its not even required to find any roof molding. The result is you shade one eye and blinded in the other. Suitable for pirates maybe?! This may not have all that great an impact in nations where the sun peeps out from time to time (no offense meant as I am totally envious) but in places where its almost laser like post apocalyptic skin cancer causing UV radiation cataract causing beam in your face, equal protection to both eyes at the same time is sort of a thing! LOL BUT I noticed  that someone along the way figured it out to be a problem and as such I see on later Focus they are just rectangular. So my question to Focus devotees like @dt36 can you interchange the later rectangular ones for the curved ones?

FocusSunVisor3.thumb.jpg.2d892193a2cf592f8556f11e3f067789.jpg

FocusSunVisor2.thumb.jpg.593a4e4f72af88221976e097853e2f36.jpg

On a personal note mum totally hates the car and refuses to drive it preferring her old late 80s Toyota Camry so the dilemma being do I get all these things corrected only to sell the car in a few months? I cant even think of any 90's car alternatives that I could look for as a replacement? Her needs being utmost reliable, abundance of parts, narrow dash not deep to see over and indicator stalk on the right. My addition was something not totally bland that it will be livable with for the next 20 years. I did really like the Audi A4 Wagon but was smacked down for thinking about that one!

James, I haven't got a Focus 🤣  I will however go and measure a Mondeo ST sun visor for you when I can be brave enough to go outside, as these are around the same model year.

Looking out the window though while sitting here at my desk, my windscreens are frozen over.  This has made me chuckle now though, thinking your Focus might have a heated front screen :-)  

Regarding your seatbelt, don't be tempted at the moment to disconnect the wire going to the latch.  I'm not sure if this will stop the air bag from being triggered in a crash. If your don't think that you'll be getting it switched of with FORScan, then possibly the best option will be to bridge it out under the seat, so it thinks it's permanently latched.  let me do some digging.

Hey James, your post made me chuckle! You paid good folding wedge for a car with moody tyres and brakes AND didn't ask the eventual recipient if they liked it LOL! Surely if the tyres are 'bad' its a point of sale issue likewise the brakes or is it more of they aren't bad but will need a service & / or replacement sooner than later. I'm amazed watching youtube vids that some people either spend NO time or money on their cars and only do something when their is a symptom or its in for an oil change and the mecnik spots the disc is no longer attached to the hub ! (seems to happen more often than you would think!) or alternatively the mecnik reports pads are about 50% worn but discs are a bit corroded so they replace discs & pads on all 4 corners without blinking an eye!

I fear your Mum won't be satisfied with anything currently available as the safety ethos has ruled out, thin dashes, upright screens, narrow pillars and introduced all the s**t that no one really wants but feels they have to accept 'because its safe!' On the other hand drivers today are so 'asleep' at the wheel or distracted they often need this stuff to get from A to B.

If you are going to flip the car then maybe a set of tyres may help a sale but why do the brakes - let the next guy take the hit. And certainly no to the seat - you bought it 'as is' why spend for some else's benefit ! Likewise stop worrying about sun visors UNLESS you are secretly in luurve with it, you are going to keep it and you just want to pimp it out!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, katana said:

Hey James, your post made me chuckle! You paid good folding wedge for a car with moody tyres and brakes AND didn't ask the eventual recipient if they liked it LOL! Surely if the tyres are 'bad' its a point of sale issue likewise the brakes or is it more of they aren't bad but will need a service & / or replacement sooner than later. I'm amazed watching youtube vids that some people either spend NO time or money on their cars and only do something when their is a symptom or its in for an oil change and the mecnik spots the disc is no longer attached to the hub ! (seems to happen more often than you would think!) or alternatively the mecnik reports pads are about 50% worn but discs are a bit corroded so they replace discs & pads on all 4 corners without blinking an eye!

I fear your Mum won't be satisfied with anything currently available as the safety ethos has ruled out, thin dashes, upright screens, narrow pillars and introduced all the s**t that no one really wants but feels they have to accept 'because its safe!' On the other hand drivers today are so 'asleep' at the wheel or distracted they often need this stuff to get from A to B.

If you are going to flip the car then maybe a set of tyres may help a sale but why do the brakes - let the next guy take the hit. And certainly no to the seat - you bought it 'as is' why spend for some else's benefit ! Likewise stop worrying about sun visors UNLESS you are secretly in luurve with it, you are going to keep it and you just want to pimp it out!

I have noticed our cars don't quite depreciate as drastically as yours do there so you guys have some great bargains on offer for half the price. So it seems more expensive for the same car model that you have there.

I could tell the tyres were a mix an match that the dealer most likely put together but one seems to make a noise at speeds that I never picked up on the short test drive. I thought they would last a year or so at least. As a precaution I took the car to mums regular mechanic to give it a once over and its not a lemon or anything and it was just the brakes and tyres were marked as soon to require attention. The Brakes work fine enough, its just now that I have had it up a hoist is it revealed that the brakes are close to their end of life wear markers.

Now for the recipient not liking the car boy did I try. I asked and asked every step of the way. I will leave it up to you she said, it will be fine she said and the moment it arrived "I prefer my old one!". I undertook this with my sister and even took mum for the final signing of papers. I even managed to find a white one just about the only colour she liked in a sea of Silver cars. Here we have a peeling problem that cars imported from the Northern Hemisphere have their clear top layers start to peel in a matter of years from sun damage. Yellowing and peeling like cheap UV damaged Chinese plastic. They look really shabby and worn. White being one of the few base colours seems to peel less than all others. Thats the price you pay for closing local manufacturing and importing things that often arent fit for purpose. I made sure it was a sedan and not a hatch even though as pointed out the hatches look better as that's what she preferred. I suspected the left blinker thing was going to be an issue but I didn't think it was going to be as big an issue as it turned out. This Ghia model has stereo controls just below it and I must admit even I am finding it is getting in the way. The leather seats are harder than expected something you also don't notice on short test drives. Most of the other long dash cars that I tested you sit so low in them like bathtubs but at least the Focus it seemed to sit you up higher with a better view than anything else I tried. I did raise the idea that to meet all requirements that an older car from the 90s is going to be required. I got jumped on for that too by the rest of the family and mechanics, "You cant do that! it will be already clapped out and you will be taking it for repairs all the time" "Its not safe enough"!  I couldn't get anything past 2010 as the dashes just got bigger and you sink even deeper into them. So I did try to meet all requirements but many I wasn't even informed about till after the new car was purchased. "I don't like that" "Not going to drive that" "I prefer my old Car" and my favourite for the best blow landed "Your cars are older than mine why do you get keep yours and I cant keep mine?" Booom hit the bullseye with that one! LOL So I really did try to meet expectations, I really did. You have no idea how difficult to satisfy someone who bought their last car new  in the 1980's it has become a bit of a security blanket and anything newer is so very daunting to someone of her age. Like you I concluded nothing recent was going to meet expectations yet nothing older is going to satisfy other parties on safety and a reasonable repair free life. I am allowed to trade it in after a few months but for what? Im at a total loss on that one.

Ironing out the bugs with the visor and seat are just anticipating that something more suitable may never come along and that I will probably drive her around in it way more than she will ever drive it herself. But its an independence thing and with the elderly they fight till their last breath to resist change and not give anything up. Im frustrated but I do really understand it. I know I will be even worse when I get to that age.  I dont really like the bells and gizmos either but I can adapt to it to a certain extent where she cannot. Once it shuts up I dont mind driving it so much. The visor thing however im not going to start wearing an eye patch! :wink:

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dt36 said:

Mk3 Mondeo. 

PXL_20211123_084959527.jpg

PXL_20211123_085036927.jpg

PXL_20211123_085201572.jpg

5 hours ago, Xp197777 said:

Some pics of my mk3 focus that might help james

9EF43D84-B74C-4633-A4AD-CC25CAD90B33.jpeg

3297B9BA-4933-4EA1-86A9-98E357A7065D.jpeg

6523CDF7-3107-429A-83EC-589E9D4111EC.jpeg

Thanks so much for posting that guys. You know I think both of these could work as replacements actually. The mounting base with the two screws looks the same and the placement of the clip in bar looks correct too. I wasn't expecting the Mondeo 3 ones to be so close! It even has the light above the visor exactly the same as in my Focus!

Using your photos as a guide I can see where the curved visor comes into play only on the passenger side. Its curved to avoid the grab handle I think but if the visor isnt as deep all the way across I might get away with it within a few mm. How close is the visor to the passenger grab handle? They main thing is the drivers side has no grab handle so I don't see any problems with getting it to work. Its only a question of aesthetics with one being curved and the other not. But that's far outweighed by the benefits for the driver I think. The passenger can always look away where the driver cant.

@dt36 I thought you had some narrow profiled tyred Focus ST or something? So its a Mondeo that you have?

@Xp197777 Never knew you were a Focus man too?

14 minutes ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

@dt36I thought you had some narrow profiled tyred Focus ST or something? So its a Mondeo that you have?

Mondeo ST. I bought it as cheap winter project for £650 for when I put the Escort away. It was a bit unloved at the time. However, I've got in front of everything and been using it over my daily which is a newish VW Tiguan, as the Mondeo is more fun to drive. 

Bought a VW van now that I finished the Mondeo early, so that's my current winter project that I have to get ready for next spring, so we can go cycling further from home with a bit of camping thrown in.  It's coming on nicely. 

"Travelling in a fried out combi" 😁

PXL_20211008_164219580_1.jpg

PXL_20211011_163420416.jpg

20211001124006_IMG_2734.JPG

• Love 2

Picture I took of the Visor was of the passenger side. Forgot you are also RHD. 

Pic below is of driver's side and is exactly the same. Also has a Jesus rail fitted. 

These are very easy to source in the UK and cheap enough. 

PXL_20211123_153057865.jpg

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dt36 said:

Mondeo ST. I bought it as cheap winter project for £650 for when I put the Escort away. It was a bit unloved at the time. However, I've got in front of everything and been using it over my daily which is a newish VW Tiguan, as the Mondeo is more fun to drive. 

Bought a VW van now that I finished the Mondeo early, so that's my current winter project that I have to get ready for next spring, so we can go cycling further from home with a bit of camping thrown in.  It's coming on nicely. 

"Travelling in a fried out combi" 😁

PXL_20211008_164219580_1.jpg

PXL_20211011_163420416.jpg

20211001124006_IMG_2734.JPG

Ahhhhhh I see now. Its surprising how close it looks to a Mk2 Focus from the front actually! Mondeos were on my list of cars but you know I didn't see a single one for sale in over 50 dealers I went too.

Would so love a van, just cant afford to register that many cars. There is an option for me to go on club plates with next to nothing for registration but I wouldn't be RP2000 any more!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, dt36 said:

Picture I took of the Visor was of the passenger side. Forgot you are also RHD. 

Pic below is of driver's side and is exactly the same. Also has a Jesus rail fitted. 

These are very easy to source in the UK and cheap enough. 

PXL_20211123_153057865.jpg

The visor looks alot longer in that shot but at about 35cm they are the same width as the curvy Focus ones They dont look as deep as the Focus ones discounting the curve so maybe they will fit with te passenger grab handle as well? The Focus just has plugs where a drivers handle should be but has one on the passenger side. Not sure why they would put the holes there for a drivers one and then plug it up but it all looks factory. I will see if I can find a Mondeo visor cheap just to try it out.

* Note - I see there is one for under ten quid of these Mondeo visors but it costs twice that to post it LOL

2 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Thanks so much for posting that guys. You know I think both of these could work as replacements actually. The mounting base with the two screws looks the same and the placement of the clip in bar looks correct too. I wasn't expecting the Mondeo 3 ones to be so close! It even has the light above the visor exactly the same as in my Focus!

Using your photos as a guide I can see where the curved visor comes into play only on the passenger side. Its curved to avoid the grab handle I think but if the visor isnt as deep all the way across I might get away with it within a few mm. How close is the visor to the passenger grab handle? They main thing is the drivers side has no grab handle so I don't see any problems with getting it to work. Its only a question of aesthetics with one being curved and the other not. But that's far outweighed by the benefits for the driver I think. The passenger can always look away where the driver cant.

@dt36 I thought you had some narrow profiled tyred Focus ST or something? So its a Mondeo that you have?

@Xp197777 Never knew you were a Focus man too?

Yes I’ve got a focus mk3 Rs 

6D810268-6C63-4199-A3CC-F8A3CB70F64F.jpeg

• Love 2

6 hours ago, Xp197777 said:

Yes I’ve got a focus mk3 Rs 

6D810268-6C63-4199-A3CC-F8A3CB70F64F.jpeg

Wow you guys drive top machines for your runarounds not old bangers like me. I couldn't afford to buy into the OSF market these days let alone the new Sporting Ford market. RP2000 was once my drive around old banger almost worthless at one point. My dislike for change finally paid off for once!

Do they colour match Brembos on this things? LOL

15 hours ago, Xp197777 said:
9 hours ago, Rally Pack 2000 said:

Wow you guys drive top machines for your runarounds not old bangers like me. I couldn't afford to buy into the OSF market these days let alone the new Sporting Ford market. RP2000 was once my drive around old banger almost worthless at one point. My dislike for change finally paid off for once!

Do they colour match Brembos on this things? LOL

Colour-coded brembos ,4wd and launch control its lots of fun but not my daily 

22 hours ago, Xp197777 said:

Its all very electronic isn't it? Im having trouble coping with electric windows I switch the engine off and pull the key out then go to wind up the window. Only to have to activate all the seatbelt warning buzzers just to get the switch to work to wind them up. How you guys manage with these current big screen satnav things boggles the mind. Im infuriated just by the limited gadgets the new Focus has. Im close to flipping it just for some quiet key turns and some window winders!

Whats your daily then? 🤔

4 minutes ago, Xp197777 said:
On 24/11/2021 at 04:04, Xp197777 said:

yes very electric but you get use to it eventually, My daily is a Ford Fiesta van not very exciting

Didn't even know they made Fiesta Van in the later ones. Makes sense though as the Fiesta I tried of a later model you couldn't use the rear widows for anything not even to check blind spots they were so useless so filling them in for a van makes total sense! Do you find you sit a bit low in it with limited vision through the door windows?