Ford Focus turbo repair/replace?

meXEco

I have a 58 plate Focus Econetic daily, and after just failing mot due to excess oil around the turbo amongst other minor things, what would i be looking at price wise for either a new turbo fitted or repaired, and what type of turbo should i be looking for? Thought it may not be worth doing and getting something else-but if i do fix it i know thats gonna be ok for a few years and could be buying something else with problems? Fact we've just been given notice on our rented accommodation doesn't help either...

What do you value the car at? 

You can get a used turbo for under £100, but don't know it's history. Then, are you fitting yourself?

New would be about £600, but how long are you going to keep the car for? 

Run the reg through "We buy any car" with and without MOT to consider your options. 

• Like 1

We bought 2 years ago for £750 which seemed cheap compared to others advertised. Prob value it the same now.

Would prefer new/rebuilt for peace of mind. Local garage would have to fit it.

Would keep the car as long as it's feasible to do so, have spent a few hundred on bits since owning and its been pretty reliable and good on fuel so dont wanna have to scrap it-got a quote of £200 scrap value.

Could buy something else £500-1000 but that could open a whole new can of worms lol.

Mates having a look next week it may not be the turbo just a leak, but way things have been going for me lately i won't be surprised...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, meXEco said:

Had a quick look on eBay and literally every new turbo i looked at was from China-even though i clicked UK only-hate that...

Get it rebuilt by someone like Venom. 

Might just be the hoses need a nip up though. Hopefully, it will be something simple. 

• Like 1

In my experience if it ain't puffing blue smoke or issuing steady hazy blue smoke at any rev's - its unlikely to be turbo seals therefore replacement would only achieve a big bill! As said, more likely a hose or connection gone bad or look to other sources like the cam cover seal - notorious for leaking oil over everything. Best to wash engine down with degreaser and see where its really coming from!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, katana said:

In my experience if it ain't puffing blue smoke or issuing steady hazy blue smoke at any rev's - its unlikely to be turbo seals therefore replacement would only achieve a big bill! As said, more likely a hose or connection gone bad or look to other sources like the cam cover seal - notorious for leaking oil over everything. Best to wash engine down with degreaser and see where its really coming from!

Yeah i did think that-i'm just a pessimist lol so if it isn't the turbo i'll be happy.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, katana said:

Wash engine down with degreaser, fix the other things and then take it for another MOT?

Right oil not apparently coming from turbo-garage washed down old oil and cleaned up-fixed other little bits-all done for £90 was expecting a bad phone call but he rang and said it's mot'd-happy days. Will keep an eye on engine bay for signs of a leak.

• Like 2