Hi, I bought a green four door 1976 1.3L a few years ago. It had been been in a garage with iron girders holding the roof up. As bits of rust real onto the car they rusted the top, ie bonnet roof boot, but the sides are pretty good. I had it motd about three years ago and all it needed were four tiny patches on the floor, one in each corner, New calipers and a bit of fiddling. Oh, and a small patch of welding on the inner wing. It's done 57k, never had a radio in it etc.
My dilemma..... Do I have it restored or sell it for restoration? It needs both front wings, probably a few other bits of welding, Windows out, preparation and painting, Windows back in with new rubbers, brakes sorting (now no pedal) and an mot.
I have had a vague quote of £2700 for the bodywork only. But I'm in London. I'm on the Irish escort forum too and I'm pretty sure I could have good work done there for half the price of London.
Since buying it mum has gone down hill with dementia and other problems so all my free time is spent looking after her.
My questions....
Is it worth throwing professional money at this car?
Any north London workshops recommended?
What would it be worth as it is?
What would it be worth after the work is done?
Should I sell it as it is and put the money towards something in decent condition?
I have known the previous owner who brought it New in 1976 since before she bought it, so it does have Personal history, but I won't throw money after it just because of that!
Can anyone help with values /ideas/inspiration please?
Thanks in advance.
Andy