North Weald Activity Day - only the brave need apply

petrolhead

Big thank you to Steve who made us aware of this fantastic event. It cost £49 for the day and involved a high speed bend with the entry timed by laser speed gun and a timed sprint circuit. Tom, myself and my sister (driving a stock Puma went down to take part).

panarama.jpg

A very wide range of cars attended and it was interesting to see how OSF compared to the Turbo max-plastic cars and sports cars. The Capri 2.8i was the most entertaining and one of the best sounding (much better than the v10 550bhp Audi).

cortinaAudi.jpg

The 550bhp Audi and turbo Caterham were the fastest of the day. Dan's S2000 powered cortina still has way more style.

rears2.jpg

japcars.jpg

The jap cars were fast, but I did have the satisfaction of beating the Skyline on the circuit - not bad for a comfy 4 door.

Fastturbofords.jpg

but we all got beaten by a Ford Ka! A mental 1.8 VW Turbo, RWD monster - but a Ka nonetheless, oh the shame of it. :)

photo.jpg

tommexeco.jpg

3osf.jpg

I put some dodgy fuel in and mine was pinking a lot even when I backed off the timing, and I lost some trim. I learnt that I am rubbish at pivoting round cones but that my Mk2 is actually really good at cornering quickly if I drove it correctly. I beat a lot of more powerful cars and trailered track machines so I was very happy. Tom and Steve could really drift nicely round cones. I was really impressed with my little sister in her stock 1.7 Puma on remould tyres!

The results, I think the first on the list may have been another Elise.

thelist.jpg

Mate, It was a top day out! I'm sure that Ka was a 4wd - i was talking to one of the owners mates about it.

That circuit is really good but really bumpy. I've still to sort out my videos and get my filmed run off of Simon, but when I do they'll be up :wink:

Matt, we should get both cars down to a local tyrefitters (or similar) and get the geometry checked on them, Would be interesting to compare the results.

We could even make some adjustments on your top mounts whilst we're there and mark them in the different positions so you can have a play with different settings on the next outing

Cheers mate. Tom can we not go to your fancy tiled workplace and get the geometries checked out? Or do you only have laptops and wet wipes these days?

BTW I am taking the dizzy out to get the idle retarded as I noticed it starts up a lot easier with the retarded ignition! I am also thinking of replacing the rear spax with Billys and possibly the sagging leaf springs too. :roll:

Wet wipes, now theres an idea. We do have a big wheel alignment machine at work but, a - its at the body shop b - its fairly high so I dont know if we'll get the cars on there without scraping chunks off and lastly and most importantly - I don't know how to use it :roll:

I could prolly rope one of the bodyshop boys into doing it for us but again, i still don't know if the cars will physically go on it.

We'll have to give it a go I suppose

It was a great day I was having tramping trouble with my decambered springs but once the wheels wer spinning in second gear it was ok. I managed to get some great photos of me finishing off a set of tyres il try post them up tonight if I can..

Was nice to meet you all all you're cars sounded great !!! We will have to do it again in the new year!!!