Jump to content

julian.jay

Members
  • Posts

    48
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by julian.jay

  1. I have just read an interesting but worrying article in January issue of Practical Performance Car about SVA soon to be replaced by BIVA (Basic Individual Vehicle Assesment) that could affect anyone significantly modfying a car. To retain the original vehicle's identity you have to score 8 points as follows. Original chassis or monococue 5 points 2 each for suspension, axles and transmission and 1 point for the engine. However in a Q & A with a bod from DVLA it was stated that the parts had to be from the car as built and things like fitting coil overs to MacPherson strutts would not count as they were not original and even fitting say a larger engine even if this had been an option from new again would not count. This could cause problems with the MOT if the car does not appear as stated in DVLA records. So if you have heavily modified a car it could loose its original identity and be forced to comply with SVA type regs like switches and sharp bits! As expected there is info from DVLA on this INF 26.
  2. I also use AVG. I used to have the free version only but have recently up graded to the pay one as I had a spyware virus take out a lap top.
  3. You can find information on the need for consent at www.planningportal.gov.uk follow the link to domestic properties and it is listed under garages.
  4. When I was speaking to Fostek recently I was told to make sure I noted which side was which as in use over the years the shaft 'winds up' and if you put it back on the other side it could 'unwind'!
  5. Having walked round the show from 9.30 to 5.00 I thought we had seen it all. Where was the cream tracked vehicle?
  6. You can add considerable strength to a wall of lightweight blocks by rendering it on each side. Use external render mix not just plaster. Julian
  7. I have made beer and cider for many years. I used to make John Bull Cider but they stopped making it so I now use Brewmaker. By adding extra sugar you can get it up to about 6 % by volume. I was lucky about 20 years ago to obtain 60 x 2 pint bottles so I can always have a supply in the cellar. I also make beer Brewmaker Victorian for bitter and Muntons Stout for a dark one. I have 4 x 5 gallon barrels, picked up on ebay for £25 (I am not really an alchoholic honestly).
  8. Is it possible to cut the splines on a half shaft to make the splined section longer. If so anyone know who could do it ? Julian.
  9. Question for Nettles. What half shafts are you using in a 48 inch wide axle. I have a case 48.5 inches wide and I need half shafts.
  10. In the AA 'you are the member not the car'. I have membership taken out for my usual car Vauxhall Astra (yes I know but it is small and easy to park). I have been out in my Cortina and called them out 3 times in the last 6 months. No problems and fixed at roadside and once even followed me home 5 miles to make sure it was OK. There clearly is a limit to how many times you can call them out but I have not yet reached it.
  11. Any chance of the photo of the expansion tank. This could be of interest to me too.
  12. That is great. All of the words make sense but not the whole thing!!
  13. This is a good site for comparing tyre size and speed. http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html. Julian
  14. Most kit car shows have lots of bolts in plastic bags. Next one Stoneleigh this week end. Julian
  15. Sorry to be a damper but as I uderstand it the case today is just to see if the Office of Fair Trading is able to consider this matter. It is not yet to decide if the charges are fair. I think it is acepted now that the OFT can in fact consider the whole thing to see if the charges are fair. A little nearer but not yet a result. Julian
  16. There are some good video clips on this site expertvillage.com Use the 'search' for welding. Also mig-welding.co.uk. Julian
  17. Am I going mad ? This morning I was trolling through the site about 8 am when I thought I saw a post about 2 Mk 2 Cortinas being broken and there were some questions about what was left. (This may have been some time ago). Not having much time then I decided to look again tonight and now I can not find the original. Can anyone help. Julian
  18. Many thanks for the advice. I will check out behind the dash. Sorry to be dim but as the car now has an alternator rather than the original dynamo, does it still need a voltage regulator, or can I just remove it ? Julian
  19. I have some problems with my Mk 2 Cortina. It is much modified with a Rover V6 3.9 engina and Capri front and rear. I have only had in for a few weeks and have not been able to use it much yet. However, the temperature guage will not work. I have checked it is OK by direct wiring it from the sensor in the block to the battery. I then checked the wire from the sensor to the guage and it is OK. But when I tested for a live feed at the back of the guage, I got an intermittent current. The test lamp will go on for a short burst then off for about 1 second and it continues in this way with a regular but intermittent supply. This does not seem to make the dash guage work. Also there is an ammeter that shows a discharge even with the ignition off and nothing appparently on ! I tried a different ammeter with the same result. Any thoughts, Julian
  20. January has been a good month so far for me! I have made 2 aquisitions. The first is a 1968 Mk 2 Cortina with a Rover V8 3.9 litre engine and Capri front and rear suspension - the second is my free Buss Pass so at least I can get home if it fails. Not surprisingly it goes like the wind and I am looking forward to the summer car shows and general driving. It is good to be back in a Ford after the last 5 years starting with a 7 type kit car (2.1 Pinto and twin 45's) and more latterly an American Pontiac Fiero. I hope to make a few more improvements over the next months. On that subject does anyone know where I can get a tow bar for the Cortina. Julian
×
×
  • Create New...