jimbo Posted February 21, 2009 Report Posted February 21, 2009 Right I've got under neath the escort to take a proper look at the prop. From what I can see, there is no play in either of the UJs. This leaves the CV and the centre bearing.... The CV also seems OK. A bit of back and forward play (which I guess it to be expected?) but no sideways play. The centre bearing does have play. When I wobble the shaft he whole rubber insulator moves all around inside the housing..... Never having been to this part of a car before, I don't know what to expect. Haynes is no use (no surprise there ). Do you think I've found teh cause of my vibration? Cheers, Jim
escort21 Posted February 21, 2009 Report Posted February 21, 2009 Could be the centre joint, your gonna have to take the prop off anyway so take it off and find out if any of the UJs have gone tight...this can happen if one side of the roller bearing collapses causing out of balance prop
jimbo Posted February 22, 2009 Author Report Posted February 22, 2009 Cheers Tim, I went straight out after posting and took it off (it's only six bolts after all ) The UJs don't feel tight, but they don't roll smoothly either. Not crunchy, but a bit clunky. Is that to be expected?
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now