I HAVE BLOWN UP THE SPORT :-(

steve mk2

Went out to a boxing day classic car meet about 40 minuite drive away...

On the way home just chatting to my dad not going fast or high revs just 50mph 4th gear and all of a sudden "rattle rattle clonk bang crunch" i quickly dipped the clutch as the rear wheels started to lock up and a rolled it to the side of the road.

Opened the bonnet to find oil dripping out the sump from a large hole ..

While i was waiting for my uncle to come and toe me home i had a walk back up the road to see if i could find anything , unfortunately i found a few chunks of my block on the floor

So its new engine time..

I took the xflow out yesterday and in the sump i found 4 pieces of cam, 4 cam followers and 4 pushrods and a couple of pieces of no1 piston

As you can imagine those pieces made alot of damage to the conrods and crank and a 3" hole in the side of the block..

:-( gutted!!

Ill try post some pics up if i can get my photobicket to work

I think the cam snapped in half but i cant understand why. it was running fine. no previous noise even to the second before it died it was running perfect.

Any body had this happen to them?

Luckily the piston was stil in the cylinder so nothing damaged the head.

I surpose, i did always think it need just that little bit more power it was running 145bhp and the engine tuner said its the cam thats holding me back , i didnt realise in a years time it would be quite literal lol

I have got a good 1600 bottom end i will get overbored and il look into a more lairy cam.

Anybody recomend one?? At the moment it WAS a piper BP285

Yes I am up for it, that was a great day.

Yes the Kent 244 does seem to be very similar to the piper 285. The next step up would be Kent 254 but I think that would be a mistake especially if you are using cast pistons on your new build. That cam's rev range exceeds the stock internals safe limits (unless your name is FiestaSteve) and you'll lose mid-range torque - the worst of both worlds :(

can u get a engine to idle with a cam in it then

Not sure what you are on about Sliverstreak but I wish you luck in the OSF Patronising Award :roll: . I was refering to the fact a lot of people think that 'Hot' cams have a very lump idle, the 244 is one of them.

can u get a engine to idle with a cam in it then :no:

no matter how big the cam if the engines set up correctly it will idle fine. its all down to set up :thumbsup: i have rather big cams in mine and it idles sweet even from first start from cold its fine

whoa! I'm gutted for you steve but i'm sure you'll get it sorted :wink:

I'm always fascinated by the amount of damage a component failure can cause! Did the big end cap fall off or has the rod broken?

more pics please :twisted:

Il take some more photos

The bottom end is still in tackt but its propper chewd up from the metal flying around

i think the cam broke into two some how unless a follower broke and caused a domino effect? im not sure

i wasnt giving the engine any load i was just cruising along and it chewed itself, temperature and oil pressure was fine at the time of destruction lol

that engine took a good beating for 2 years but never broke or lost oil and it dies when im not giving it stick lol :roll::?